Peeing on the carpet....WHY??!?!?!

lanasaez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The first time Mia peed on the carpet, we figured it was by accident. I say accident because she was having a good ol jolly time with her catnip. I figured that she was overly excited that she urinated. (I see now how weird and crazy I sound 
) I was watching her mostly the whole time playing. I didn't even see her squat and stay still to pee. So I just cleaned it up.

Last night my husband wakes me up to tell me that Mia has peed on the carpet again next to the same spot she peed the last time.. Now where she's peeing at is right in front of the TV. She's not hiding and peeing. 

Her litter box is ALWAYS cleaned. So I'm not understand why she keeps doing this? 

Does anyone have answers?

I really hope that someone does because I just don't know what to do. 

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
What did you use to clean the carpet ? Did you use a enzymatic cat urine cleaner to make sure all the traces of urine are gone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lanasaez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Honestly we did a crap job cleaning the carpet. Soap with water etc.
 I was going to go out to the store to buy something but then I found something on pinterest that'll help. I will be going today and eliminating both stains. I feel like an idiot..

paul n steve

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep! Sounds like Mia just had an accident and then she must have smelled the pee from earlier and just did it again at the same spot- GemsGem is right about making sure the smell of urine is gone and she shouldn't do it anymore! Maybe if you see her by that spot again and it looks suspicious you could pick her up and set her in the liter box as if you are saying, "Here is where that happens!" :)

My Paul had some pee time on my boyfriends clothes (that were laying on the floor) until I started picking them up after him (boyfriends-lol) and he hasn't done that for a long time. Oh, the reason Paul was peeing on his clothes I believe was because I wasn't the one cleaning the liter box. Boyfriend was. He didn't do a good enough job and Paul is very picky about a clean toilet! Now I clean out the liter box twice a day, morning and night and make sure I get ALL the clumps out because I understand thats like going to the bathroom after someone didn't flush- ew- lol!!

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Use an enzyme cleaner, not just soap and water. Soak the spot with that cleaner, like really soak it not just spray. Wait fifteen minutes then sponge it up.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In addition to what others have said; if she does it again, a vet check is a good idea.  Some cats will do things like this if they have a UTI or something causing pain.  Cat's generally hide pain very well; so a change in litter box habits is an indicator to look for if something could be up.  Hopefully that is not the case; but still something to keep in mind.

lanasaez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Guess what guys?!!? Mia pee'd on the carpet again. 

And yes I did clean up the other spots properly.

I'm at wits end here. This behavior is getting to me. 

She went poo this AM in her litter box.

graciethedragon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds like my girl.  Poops in the box, prefers to pee on my rug.  I like the Get Serious brand for clean up, after all the other cleaners still seemed to leave a scent, This smelled as it was drying, but now passes the nose to the rug test !

I will follow you to see if you solve this problem, as we are in the same boat.  My cat is now in crate confinement after a vet check for UTI and xrays for stones revealed no obvious medical issues.  Vet thinks its behavioral... but what is cat behavior anyway.  I am thinking of Kitty Prozac !

Good luck !

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I highly recommend a vet check to rule out health issues.  If you were to approach it from a behavioral standpoint and it turned out there IS a health issue behind it; it just prolongs things.  As I said before; cats are very good at hiding pain but a change in litter box habits can be an indicator something is up.  After that this may be of help: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/9563/inappropriate-peeing-problems-answered

Please keep us updated!

lanasaez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I talked to my husband and were going to get her checked out by her vet. She will go in on Monday.

So I should give you guys a background about Mia.

When we first got her she wasnt using the litter box but she wasnt peeing anywhere either (like she would hold it. We didn't notice. What we did notice was the litter was go untouched for a week or two)

One morning I wake up and walk by my husband's work pants...she peed on them.

We took her to the vet and got her checked out and they said, nope..nothing is wrong. (but all they did was an examination)

She started going to the litter box and everything was ok for a while.. Then we started noticing an odor in the bathroom... Mia started peeing on our bath mats!....Bath mats!!! So till this day we have to hang our mats over the shower rod..

After that episode. she started going to the litter box again...with no problem. 

We figured she didn't like the litter so we switched her to pine pellet litter. That is what the APL was using when we got her & someone mentioned to me that she probably didn't like the "sand" cat litter since she's declawed (2 front, previous owner)

She liked it. She starting peeing in the litter box and everything was good for a while. Just in the beginning of the month we moved to a new apartment. I was worried about her adjusting but she did great. She was acting normal and her behavior was fine. Peeing in litter box as well. 

Now just recently, 4 days in a row Mia started peeing on the carpet..

I noticed that for a week or two Mia has not gone pee in the box but no signs of pee anywhere until recently. 

I will tell you this, she'll go to the bathroom and meow a funny weird meow (something that worries me) she'll come out of the bathroom and then pee on the carpet. The last time she pee'd on the carpet was just a little spot like two quarters next to each other in size. But the other times...they were full amount pee.

This is why I am starting to think maybe she does have some type of infection. Because of her strange meows and not much pee coming out.

We know nothing about Mia. Just that her owner died and a relative brought her in to the APL cause no one could care for her anymore. 

(We also think that she was table fed because she goes nuts and meow's like crazy when we eat at the table)

It's just 50/50 It could be the way that her previous owner raised her. Possibly let her pee anywhere and eat human food OR she could be sick. 

More importantly I hope my baby is ok 

Editing to add: He litter box was covered. It no longer is. (since her first pee episode) & She's the only cat in our home. 

Last edited:

kibmufxy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She may have an  infection so bring her to the Vet. 

kibmufxy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Omg i did not look at the date. Thanks for letting me know. ;-)