Peeing on Couch Consistently

varsettie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all, I’m back again looking for advice.

My newest member to my family is an orange tabby named Fawkes, we adopted her back in July after I found her starving in my backyard. We recently found out that she has been peeing on our bathroom rug without our knowing about it and so we took the rug off of the floor to discourage her peeing there but now she’s set her sights on the couch cover for my futon. She’s peed on the cover three times and on the actual couch cushion once so far. I’ve tried rubbing her nose in it, I’ve tried loudly scolding her, we’ve tried putting double sided tape on the couch and even using baking soda to get rid of the smell before we put the cover in to the washing machine each time, but she still persists.

I need to know how to make her stop because my fiancé is at the end of her rope with this cat. She’s ready to put Fawkes back up for adoption again and we’ve been fighting about that every time she pees for the last two weeks now. I’m willing to try just about anything at this point.

Please help?

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my. Sticking her face in it and scolding her will absolutely NOT help. You're just further causing her stress. Cats don't understand discipline like that.

You have to first rule out a medical issue. She should be checked out by a vet for a UTI, urinary crystals, etc.

If her health is in good shape, then you can address her behavior. Stress can cause inappropriate elimination. If she's unhappy with her litter box, that could be it, too. Some cats like really clean litter boxes that need to be scooped multiple times daily. Some cats don't like a hood on their box and certain kinds of litter. Since you've added another cat to the household, the general rule of thumb for the number of litter boxes is the number of cats + one extra.

Until you figure out if she's got a medical issue that needs to be treated, you'll have to clean the areas really well with an enzymatic cleaner. If she can smell it, she'll continue to go there. After the area is clean and dry, you could try covering the area with aluminum foil (some cats don't like aluminum foil and will avoid walking on it). Although, this will be a bit inconvenient for you since it is a spot where you sit.

paws4life

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree concidering she was a stray she may have no medical background and needs a check up to rule out any medical issues and illness. Cats dont just pee on stuff they like clean just as much if not more then we do.

lovesmekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is Fawkes an indoor kitty?  It's possible that if her litter box is already being kept really clean, she just doesn't like the type of litter.  We are going through a couch peeing problem ourselves, and just switched the litter to Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Litter which seemed to get good reviews for getting kitties to like their litter boxes.  It went well last night and so far they like the new litter so much I can hardly keep them out of there!  You've already been offered important advice (cats will go outside the litter box if they have urinary infections, so that does need to be ruled out), but the litter type can be significant.  We just poured (not sprayed) the remaining bottle of Anti-Icky Poo enzyme treatment over the couch to break down remaining urine - if it doesn't get completely broken down they will keep smelling it and it serves as a trigger to keep going there.  I know it's frustrating, but it can be addressed.

1) rule out UTI with vet

2) keep litter box as clean as you can - use more than one if you're not home enough to do that

3) get enzyme cleaner PROVEN to work - cat urine has distinct components that need to be broken down - try Anti-Sticky Poo or Nok Out.  A local vet might carry them if your local pet store doesn't. Drench the couch with it, don't just spray.

4) cats really don't understand being disciplined the way you're describing - there is lots of helpful info on this site to help you

5) in the meantime, you can place foil or upside down laundry baskets on the couch when you're not around to try to deter peeing there again and to place over couch while enzyme treatment is drying

I know how trying this is and I hope this info helps.  It's really not "bad" behavior on kitty's part - she's just being a cat and her behavior is conveying something you need to interpret.  I'm in the same boat - hang in there and please let us know how it goes, ok?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

varsettie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She’s been seen by a vet in the last two months and they did a full health check which included me bringing poop samples to them because she was a stray. She was also checked out very thoroughly by the humane society while she was in their care, so I highly doubt it’s a UTI. I had my concerns about that when we adopted her so I did my best to check for it. As for the discipline matters I’ve never really owned a behaviour issue cat before. Atari was my first and she’s never done anything wrong so Fawkes presented a new challenge. This being the case I didn’t really know what else to do, and my family had suggested I attempt the above matters. Apparently I’m not going to be listening to them again.

That out of the way I’ve been using my own version of the enzyme spray because I haven’t been able to find any at Pet Smart. We’ve been putting baking soda on the areas, putting them through the washing machine with the hottest setting possible and then drenching the spots with Febreeze.  I also did some research while I was waiting for an answer and found out about the litter box lids on my own. We don’t have litter box lids but the litter boxes were under some end tables (with about two feet above the cat litter so they could go in and out). I removed the litter boxes from there and put them in the spots she’s been peeing (including on my couch, which is gross) and she’s been using them again. No pee incidents on the couch since then. Now all I have to do is try to very gently and carefully move the litter box off the couch a little bit every day.

Also we have three litter boxes and with two cats in the house I tend to clean them every day or two.

The thing that baffles me the most is that while the boxes were under the tables she was still pooing in the litter box, just not peeing in it. Why is that? 

EDIT: Also yes both of my cats are indoor cats only. They go outside on harnesses so I can walk and keep an eye on them. I do not trust my neighbors enough to let them out on their own as we live in the city and there are a lot of cars and cruel people here. I wouldn't let my dog wander around with out a leash so I will not let my cats either. That's just how I think it should be done.

And as a side note Fawkes actually really loves foil so that wouldn't work with her. She's strange.

Last edited:

lovesmekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Varsettie,

Sounds like you came up with a working solution which is great.  It may be that she didn't pee in the box (even though she pooped there) because once she peed on the couch (presumably because she didn't like the litter box location) the scent kept drawing her back.  Here's a post that will explain the importance of using proven enzyme cleaners http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-remove-cat-urine  You may have solved come up with the solution, but eliminating the traces of old urine are just as important.  Baking soda can actually make it harder to remove.  Cat urine is a bugger!  If you can't find one of the enzyme sprays listed in the article at another pet store, you can order online.  I'm glad you're on your way to having this figured out!

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Also we have three litter boxes and with two cats in the house I tend to clean them every day or two.

The thing that baffles me the most is that while the boxes were under the tables she was still pooing in the litter box, just not peeing in it. Why is that?
Some cats (especially former outdoor cats) do not like to pee where they poop. So, it could be that the boxes were fine to poop in but not right for peeing in to her kitty mind.
  There might be something about the location or litter or level of cleanliness that she didn't like. I have heard of cats who will only use a box when it is clean, so that is something to consider. You may need to scoop more often that every day or two. Here's an article on litter box locations that may help you. http://www.thecatsite.com/a/litter-box-location-secrets

varsettie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alright I'll have another look around for the enzyme spray. If I have to get it online I guess that's just say-la-vie. 

I also found out that while I was at work my fiance had been cleaning out the cat litter but not replacing the litter amount so the box was clean but there was barely an inch of litter in them. I've corrected this and told her what I believe to be the issue so hopefully that won't happen again. Once I cleaned the litter box and put a good bunch of litter in it I put Fawkes in it gently and she peed right away. Hopefully this is a good sign?

lovesmekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh good!!!  That would be an easy fix.  I know it's a pain to have to order the spray and deal with it again, but it will be worth it for you.  I made the mistake of just spraying it on the couch when I first used it, and it really needed to be soaked.  I kept having to spray it and re-treat it because once it dried the smell would still be detectable, so I ended up just committing the use of a bottle to the couch and dumped it on. I was able to find a vet that carried one of the brands recommended in the thread I posted - maybe you could find it that way if you don't want to wait for it to come in the mail.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The level of litter can make a big difference for some cats! Mine do not like to feel the bottom when they are digging. I believe the general rule of thumb is that there should be 4 inches of litter in the pan/box. After every time I scoop and/or add fresh litter, I push the litter up the sides of the box with the scooper and make a "well" in the center.

varsettie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
These are all great suggestions and ideas. I'l give them all a try. The last thing I want to do is have to surrender Fawkes to the SPCA after what shes been through and this site has already helped me introduce the two cats perfectly. So far we've gone three days with no pee outside the litter box (Knock on wood) so I'm hoping the cover and the lack of litter in the box was the problem.

I'll keep you guys posted if anything else happens but thanks for all your help!

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great news! Please keep us posted.

I know I'd rather try to help than see a kitty taken back to the shelter. Shortly after I adopted one of mine, he was peeing outside the box. I was in tears day after day cleaning carpet, but I told myself that I would not take him back. I refused to be THAT person to create a "return cat" at the shelter. I'm not trying to making anyone feel guilty. But for me, it turned into a personal challenge that I just had to conquer. And I did. Caesar is now happy and uses his box...as long as I keep it spotless and just the way he likes it. 

varsettie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Caesar sounds like a high maintenance kitty xD Apparently I'm going to have to try a little harder with Fawkes then I have been with Atari but I've been helping animal rescues and the like for years and I'm of the same mind set. I will not return an animal once I've adopted it from a shelter. If Fawkes refused to get along with Atari and there was no way to make them get along I'd simply re-home her with the promise to take her back if she proved to be too much of a handful. I, personally, have a huge problem with returning cats to shelters after adopting them. It's something of a pet peeve for me. This is one of the reasons why I came looking for a cat care site and another reason to why I stayed here. You guys always know what you're talking about!

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he is!  LOL.

I wish more people were of this same mindset. Sometimes these poor cats just need time. Thank you for being so caring and patient and determined to make it work! 

varsettie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So far no more pee! I think we may be in the clear! =D

varsettie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We've gone a full week with no peeing problems! The level of litter in the box was the problem. Thanks for all your help guys! You've helped me keep a cat who really deserves better than the SPCA.

beaner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so grateful to your posts, friends!  I have 3 orange cats and one of the male cats has always marked and urinated here and there but lately it has taken a turn for the worse and become more frequent.  After having him checked at vet for UTI etc, I was afraid I was going to have to put him down and I cried for three days, heartbroken.  I'm EXCITED to try some of the things I've read about here... thank goodness for this site!  My questions is:  which is better:  adding "Cat Attract" to the litter OR buying the Dr. Elsey's litter?  thank you!  Beaner