Peeing Just Outside The Box

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats have recently began to pee outside the litter box. Right outside it. As if they hang the butts over. I clean it.
I don't know why. Random violence to them from me doesn't help.
I did have one cat who had a blockage, she peed all over the house. I couldn't stop her. Eventually, she cleared it out. Everything was cleaned up.
Now the other cat is peeing just outside the box, as if to say; this one is mine. Or to mix the scent of her urine with the other cat's urine. I removed the rug that may have been harboring scent. Cleaned everything with Nature's Miracle.
Am I angry? You bet!
Just today, the other cat had diarrhea in the other box. I cleaned the box. Then gave her a bath of course. I don't know why these cats do what they do. Seriously, if it continues; I might find one of them a new home.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have recently began to pee outside the litter box. Right outside it. As if they hang the butts over. I clean it.
I don't know why. Random violence to them from me doesn't help.
I did have one cat who had a blockage, she peed all over the house. I couldn't stop her. Eventually, she cleared it out. Everything was cleaned up.
Now the other cat is peeing just outside the box, as if to say; this one is mine. Or to mix the scent of her urine with the other cat's urine. I removed the rug that may have been harboring scent. Cleaned everything with Nature's Miracle.
Am I angry? You bet!
Just today, the other cat had diarrhea in the other box. I cleaned the box. Then gave her a bath of course. I don't know why these cats do what they do. Seriously, if it continues; I might find one of them a new home.
If you are violent towards them, you should stop or find a new home to all of your cats ASAP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you are violent towards them, you should stop or find a new home to all of your cats ASAP
No. I stopped and broke the cycle of abuse a long time ago.
I’m saying punishments do not work

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know why these cats do what they do. Seriously, if it continues; I might find one of them a new home.
They aren't doing it to be bad. They have a medical problem. Have you tried increasing canned food, decreasing dry food?

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They aren't doing it to be bad. They have a medical problem. Have you tried increasing canned food, decreasing dry food?
They have a constipation issue. My vet said mineral oil. Today I gave canned pumpkin a scoop for added fiber. I guess that set her off with pain when she was trying to go?? I don't know.
She has an appointment in two weeks. They both do. I have been calming myself with Jackson Galaxy youtube videos titled "out of the box"

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since she may have a uti, call the vet and explain that she is in pain and needs help now. Two weeks is too long to wait with uti pain. She may give up the box completely and forever. Cats tend to think the place they pee causes the pain so they look for other places to pee.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi there,
My 7 month old kitty uses peeing as a tactic to try to get his “way” / as a result of not getting his “way” I.e. going outside, getting more food, going into off limit rooms. Often times he pees on my shoes and occasionally on the bed. This morning he was cranky because he wanted to play outside, but he is not allowed out until the sun is up. He was really annoyed about having to wait, and must have gotten more upset after I left for work. The end result... he pee’d ON my boyfriend to wake him up out of bed!!! This behavior seems so spiteful. The rest of the time he is playful and lovey.
Any advice?
My cat used to pee when she was being chased. She still will. Sometimes cats after being left home a while, will pee or poo on you to mix their scent with you. It's a personal wonderful privilege. You may not think so. I didn't. Now that I look back, after coming back from vacation; the cat peed and pood on everyone who moved back in.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since she may have a uti, call the vet and explain that she is in pain and needs help now. Two weeks is too long to wait with uti pain. She may give up the box completely and forever. Cats tend to think the place they pee causes the pain so they look for other places to pee.

Likely its a territorial thing. The white one had UTI stuff. The black one is new to peeing outside the box. I'm riding it out. No matter what you say

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I checked her belly, it's tight. I have her a small feeding with mineral oil. Both of them.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It happened again. In the living room. Next to the wall. I just finished feeding them. She walked over there and peed.
Yesterday, she peed right outside the box. the baby gate was shut to the living room yesterday.
This has been going on. That is why I put up the baby gate, because I was cleaning where she or other animals have gone before.
She plays, and does everything else normal. I called the vet. They are really bad at getting back to me. Last time I rushed her to the vet on a weekend it was $500 and nothing was wrong.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You think it's spring fever where she is trying to attract a male?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I would invest in some puppy pads right under/outside the box. I would also give them extra boxes.

If your cats are constipated I would switch them to only wet food, maybe even wet food watered down a bit. I personally would try watered down wet food with a few drops of mineral oil. Once you get them to poo regularly you can work on less water or less mineral oil.

I would also get a black light and clean everything that glows with an enzyme cleaner. For 500$ I would also try cat attract litter. A water fountian can help encourage them to drink more water.

Why are your cats chronically constipated? The one cat I had that was chronically constipated had spinal damage.

Lastly I’m not judging you, I know vet bills can be pricey. I would take her to the vet first thing in the morning so it is just a regular check up fee and make sure she is not hurting when she pees.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think I would invest in some puppy pads right under/outside the box. I would also give them extra boxes.

If your cats are constipated I would switch them to only wet food, maybe even wet food watered down a bit. I personally would try watered down wet food with a few drops of mineral oil. Once you get them to poo regularly you can work on less water or less mineral oil.

I would also get a black light and clean everything that glows with an enzyme cleaner. For 500$ I would also try cat attract litter. A water fountian can help encourage them to drink more water.

Why are your cats chronically constipated? The one cat I had that was chronically constipated had spinal damage.

Lastly I’m not judging you, I know vet bills can be pricey. I would take her to the vet first thing in the morning so it is just a regular check up fee and make sure she is not hurting when she pees.
Iv'e separated her from the other cat. I think it s spite full peeing where the other cat lays, she pees.
It might be a jealous thing. She doesn't sleep with me any more still. I put her in a bathroom where she will get plenty of attention from me. Yet she is away from the other cat.
I'll put her cat tree in there later this week. She has her own everything. The difference between wet food and dry food for them is it puts weight on the cat which I am trying to get off. Now that she is separated from the other cat. I have a feeling things will be fine. I appreciate everyone's comments. I don't know where I would be if I didn't have everyone's supportive comments and suggestions.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
You think it's spring fever where she is trying to attract a male?
nunnc84 nunnc84 isn't she spayed? If not then, yes. It absolutely could be a sign that she is going into heat and trying to attract a mate. Female cats spray and one of my rescues, who had a litter before I brought her in, still sprays now 7 years after being fixed. If she hasn't been fixed then please get her spayed before she gets into this bad habit, or presents you with a litter of hungry kittens to care for.

Other reasons for inappropriate peeing are a UTI, as others have said, or stress. I'd get the vet to rule out a UTI first.

Is there another vet or a cheaper clinic you can try? A UTI is very painful and becomes more and more difficult/expensive to treat as time goes on. You really want to get her to the vet soon.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd like to explain that I have replaced a whole room of peed smelling carpet because of Sassy the black cat we are discussing. That is why I have had her in the kitchen with a baby gate for a couple months. When ever I leave the gate open to the carpet, she pees; I'm not sure why. She is 11 years old soon. I can catch everyone up on the situation.
Luna, the white one; i rescued her almost 7 months ago. they do not get along. They always are competing. It maybe down to an unsuccessful introduction. They were beginning to tolerate each other. Still, Sassy pees on the carpet. I don't know why. I'm not going to give her another opportunity to do so.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
nunnc84 nunnc84 isn't she spayed? If not then, yes. It absolutely could be a sign that she is going into heat and trying to attract a mate. Female cats spray and one of my rescues, who had a litter before I brought her in, still sprays now 7 years after being fixed. If she hasn't been fixed then please get her spayed before she gets into this bad habit, or presents you with a litter of hungry kittens to care for.

Other reasons for inappropriate peeing are a UTI, as others have said, or stress. I'd get the vet to rule out a UTI first.

Is there another vet or a cheaper clinic you can try? A UTI is very painful and becomes more and more difficult/expensive to treat as time goes on. You really want to get her to the vet soon.
She has been fixed for years. She has been crying at the window, I have a lot of cats outside the house. I'm sure both the cats are in heat. Sassy doesn't have the UTI symptoms that Luna had previously.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmmm it could be the outside community cats that are stressing her out. If she feels they are trespassing in _her_ front or back yard .... she could be feeling she is under attack and be marking because of that.

If so there are articles on this website and the web about keeping feral cats out of your yard, plus many products! :)
The one that comes to mind is a motion activated sprinkler and if necessary blocking any and all views outside so she can’t see them. I would go with the sprinkler. Harness training her so she can go outside and mark her turf (instead of inside your house!!!)

Cat pee problems are a long drawn out tiring game of clue ..... as you try to figure out what your cat is trying to tell you. Please take a deep breath and remember this to will pass. I say this as a survivor of cat pee on the counter:help:, a litter box on top of the fridge once (Ew!!!!:nervous:) and poop nuggets on the floor!!! :running:I know it is frustrating beyond belief. Please hang in there. I miss the cat peed when she slept and just wish I could hold her again.... Sarah wets and all.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmmmmm it could be the outside community cats that are stressing her out. If she feels they are trespassing in _her_ front or back yard .... she could be feeling she is under attack and be marking because of that.

If so there are articles on this website and the web about keeping feral cats out of your yard, plus many products! :)
The one that comes to mind is a motion activated sprinkler and if necessary blocking any and all views outside so she can’t see them. I would go with the sprinkler. Harness training her so she can go outside and mark her turf (instead of inside your house!!!)

Cat pee problems are a long drawn out tiring game of clue ..... as you try to figure out what your cat is trying to tell you. Please take a deep breath and remember this to will pass. I say this as a survivor of cat pee on the counter:help:, a litter box on top of the fridge once (Ew!!!!:nervous:) and poop nuggets on the floor!!! :running:I know it is frustrating beyond belief. Please hang in there. I miss the cat peed when she slept and just wish I could hold her again.... Sarah wets and all.
thanks. that is very encouraging. I replaced a carpeted room with flooring. Now she is targeting the other room with carpet. I guess??
It is spring. She probley is in heat. I have opened the windows. I feed strays/ferels in the backyard because there are so many.
The cats are more relaxed now that they are separated. I'm looking forward to less conflict.

FeralRussian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used straight up white vinegar everytime I found a puddle or poo in the first days. Not only did it eliminate the odor, wherever I did the vinegar they didn’t repeat in the same spot. Which made it slightly entertaining as there were fresh areas for cat bombs.

I would test the vinegar if it is on a floor with carpet or specialized finish. Most of my floors are painted cement or river rock/slate that I used a sealer on every four to six months so I’m not paying attention as I would if it was someone else’s.

I’d also try separate litter boxes if you haven’t already, being that they are quarantined from each other.

Best of luck to you!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is in heat then step one is spaying her and any other cats you have! It may take a month to get all the hormones out of her system. Right now she is like a drunk horny pms’ing 14 year old girl ........ full of hormones..... completely crazy and out of control.

There are many low cost clinics where you can get her fixed for 40$ ..... you can google your city and low cost spay neuter ...... to find a local deal to fix your cat. It is way cheaper then emergency vet visits!!!