Peeing In Plants

canopener

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One (or both) of my cats has been peeing in a potted plant. Last year, I found the then-kitten peeing in my large potted cactus once or twice, but this was unusual. However, since I moved this summer, I was noticing intermittent phantom pee smell and tracked it back to the cactus, which leads me to believe that one or both of them have been using the cactus more routinely. I cleaned the carpet to get any smell out (any pee that "missed" and any residual evidence of the dog that lived here previously--it's the only carpeted part of the house so wondering if that is a factor).
I'm not sure what to do about the plant. I've put newspaper over the soil held in place by stakes to make it less appealing, but I'm sure, as far as the cats are concerned, the odor is still there and I don't want them going around it, which is arguably worse. However, I don't think the plant would be terribly happy with me if I dumped Nature's Miracle in the pot. Any advice would be appreciated.
I've thought about moving one of the litter boxes into the room, but I'm a little worried that will confuse them more, because it's a three-season porch, so it will be closed off in the winter and the litter box will have to be moved...

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How many litter boxes do you have? Do the cats get along ok? Peeing outside the litter box can be caused by a UTI, so a vet visit may be a good idea.

As for the plant, can you replace all the soil, and put the plant up somewhere really high that the cats can't get to.

There's also a suggestion of using small marble balls here: Cat urinating in indoor potted plant

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

canopener

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In this case, peeing in the cactus seems to be less classic litter box avoidance (they happily use the box if the the cactus is behind a closed door) as a specific preference for the cactus. I've repotted the cactus and put stones over the soil and stakes in the pot to make it less nice to get into. I don't think I can completely eliminate any evidence of pee because I don't want to damage the cactus itself, but hopefully I've made its container less appealing.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good luck. Hopefully the cactus won't get anymore unwanted "watering". :crossfingers:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would dump Natures Miracle into the plant. I don’t think it would harm it and it should get rid of the odor.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
As inappropriate palces to urinate go, a plant is the least bad I can think of ( except mayeb the shower), but still frustrating I'm sure.

more usefully, they make a sort of plastic spikey mesh shield you can put over it which might make it less fun to urinate on.