Peeing Everywhere!

Chestervonfluffles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please help!!
We have a kitten that is about 18 weeks old. He was with his mom until 12 weeks. No problems the first week he was home but now he's peeing absolutely everywhere. Seriously. Clothes on the floor, or in a basket, paper, plastic bags, toys, he even peed in a box of lego. He's also peeing in his litter box but this is happening several times a day. I'm at my wits end and have no idea what else to try! Please help before I have to find a new home for our little guy!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Can you take him to a vet to check for a UTI? It's always best to eliminate any possible medical issues first, before trying to work on behavior.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chestervonfluffles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had him in last week and she said she didn't see any signs of a uti

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many rooms does he have access to and how many litter boxes?

He's a baby. You will need to be patient as he grows up.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
What kind of litterbox does he have? Have you tried covered vs. uncovered, different kinds of litter? Cats generally prefer unscented litter. How many times per day do you clean his litterbox(es)?

Chestervonfluffles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He has access to most of the main floor (bungalow). Living/dining room, kitchen, bathroom and the master bedroom. The kids rooms are closed to him and the basement is currently out of bounds. There are two litter boxes and I clean them every time I see they've been used...so 4+ times a day. We started with the litter the breeder used and slowly switched to the one we have used before...the accidents started before we started switching.
I haven't tried a covered litter box yet...maybe that would help

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
He has access to most of the main floor (bungalow). Living/dining room, kitchen, bathroom and the master bedroom. The kids rooms are closed to him and the basement is currently out of bounds. There are two litter boxes and I clean them every time I see they've been used...so 4+ times a day. We started with the litter the breeder used and slowly switched to the one we have used before...the accidents started before we started switching.
I haven't tried a covered litter box yet...maybe that would help
Some cats prefer covered litter boxes because they feel more private, maybe your kitty is like this!

Deafcats1999

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you spray vinager in places it pee is should keep them away cats don't like the smell

Chestervonfluffles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been using vinegar but he rarely pees in the same spot. I'd have to coat the whole house in it!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you should limit his space and add more litter boxes to his space. He may be distracted and forgetting where to go. Are you using scented litter? Some cats hate that. Cat attract litter can help to draw them to the box.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what made your vet think that he doesn't have an infection. I would as for a test to confirm because it really does sound like a "it hurts when I pee" issue. Has anything changed in the house that would cause him upset?

Chestervonfluffles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There haven't been any changes to the house that I can think would have upset him. We use unscented (I hate the scented stuff too!). I haven't heard of cat attract litter.

Chestervonfluffles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We got the Dr Elseys cat attract litter and it's magic! Not a single puddle outside the box since we put it in his box! It's more expensive but well worth it. In a month we'll start mixing it with other litter to make it last longer.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had him in last week and she said she didn't see any signs of a uti
I don't really see how the vet can "not see any signs" of a UTI, she either tested a urine sample and ruled it out definitely or she didn't. Did you have the vet collect and test a urine sample?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
That's is just a lot of peeing in a single day, I would also be worrying it was a urinary infection. Like others have said the needs a urinalysis. Also vinegar doesn't do much to get rid of the pee odor. You need a enzyme based cleaner like Nature's Miracle to remove all traces of urine odor.