Peeing cat

Missy9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have acquired a orphaned kitten 4weeks old. Now our older, 13yr old male desexed cat has started spraying on us.what do I do?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Thanks for rescuing the kitten. If you need advice caring for it, we have a Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care forum.

About your older cat, it sounds like territorial spraying. Has he actually seen the kitten? Keeping it in a separate room from your cat, might help.

Here's a TCS article on introducing kittens to older cats, however, right now it probably would be best to wait on that.

Ensure you clean any areas where he pees with an enzyme cleaner to ensure the urine scent is completely gone.

And if he keeps up the inappropriate peeing, a vet visit might be necessary to ensure he hasn't developed a stress-induce UTI.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Missy9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Thanks for rescuing the kitten. If you need advice caring for it, we have a Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care forum.

About your older cat, it sounds like territorial spraying. Has he actually seen the kitten? Keeping it in a separate room from your cat, might help.

Here's a TCS article on introducing kittens to older cats, however, right now it probably would be best to wait on that.

Ensure you clean any areas where he pees with an enzyme cleaner to ensure the urine scent is completely gone.

And if he keeps up the inappropriate peeing, a vet visit might be necessary to ensure he hasn't developed a stress-induce UTI.

hi, Thankyou . I’m fine with raising the kitten. We have had kitten for 2 weeks now. So older cat had seen in for that long now. And started peeing yesterday in us

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So it might be just a coincidence? Probably maybe insecurity/jealously.

If it continues, do take him to the vet to be checked out.

Got any pics of the kitten you can post?
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post | TheCatSite

Missy9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So it might be just a coincidence? Probably maybe insecurity/jealously.

If it continues, do take him to the vet to be checked out.

Got any pics of the kitten you can post?
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post | TheCatSite
black cat is the offending sprayer. White cat is fine, she is 18yrs old
D9D3CD9D-B7CD-4553-8E8B-8618A7A74E52.png
F4CDA084-AF78-47F2-8579-4935FEF01E04.png
3079D2B7-1D93-40CE-935F-CC52F060F413.png

Last edited by a moderator:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww.. adorable. :catlove:

Didn't realize you had another cat. How does the 13 year old get along with the 18 year old? And did he just pee on you once? Or multiple times?

Missy9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The older cats have never gotten along. He was actually given to us as a 3 yr old. He peed on me once and one of my kids once so far.

Nazneen123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your kitten looks adorable.. How did you introduce your kitten to your Cats?

Missy9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your kitten looks adorable.. How did you introduce your kitten to your Cats?
I had her penned in our laundry,with her heated bed, and litter tray, and it’s where the older cats come and eat and drink too. Now she has been climbing over the pen. So pen is gone and she is free in the laundry. Although my daughter got home and found she had escaped the laundry today and was in the main house asleep in the bed with the older white cat. Very cute

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The older cats have never gotten along. He was actually given to us as a 3 yr old. He peed on me once and one of my kids once so far.
Maybe in time the kitten will turn into a peace keeper. :crossfingers:

I had her penned in our laundry,with her heated bed, and litter tray, and it’s where the older cats come and eat and drink too. Now she has been climbing over the pen. So pen is gone and she is free in the laundry. Although my daughter got home and found she had escaped the laundry today and was in the main house asleep in the bed with the older white cat. Very cute
Awww... sounds adorable. :catlove:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Although my daughter got home and found she had escaped the laundry today and was in the main house asleep in the bed with the older white cat. Very cute

Awws, it really is cute. Sounds like they have no trouble getting along. :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure he is peeing because of the new kitten, especially now that it is more involved with them. Cats hide their insecurities very well, he is more upset then he seems. He pees on things he loves, including yiour daughter, to mark them as his. My cat did the same thing, but we had moved too which led to more insecurities. It took finally letting him outside to mark in a cat proof pen. One of those chicken coops would work well, or leash training him. Yours WILL quit on his own when he feels more secure and develops more attachment to the little one. It will just take several months. Like above, I recommend a good enzyme spray to destroy the urine and make cleaning easier since you just spray it on, getting a black light flashlight to find favorite spots he is going at, and buying some clear plastic carpet protector with those little nubs on the back. Cut it to fit and put it nub side up in any favorite spray spots. It keeps him from going there. He will stop in time, this all won't be forever. Encourage interaction between him and the kitten, it wiill help him get used to him, but don't let the kitten annoy him. Let him discipline the kitten, and your other cat, believe it or not, kittens need this to learn social manners. Slapping, growling, and even pinning the kitten to the ground once in a while is perfectly natural. All the luck!