Peeing after Perineal Urethrostomy (PU) surgery

Kmclittle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Monty had his PU surgery about 2 months ago. Overall, he's had good results, but he leaks like it's his job. Usually just little dribbles around his litter box but today was the first day he peed a significant amount away from it (my brother's comforter, lol).

In addition to the leaking he has these bouts where he'll go to his litter box every few minutes and pee small amounts. It's always followed by incessant grooming, I assume from irritation. I do notice it happens more when he's in a playful mood and has been zooming around the house. So that's definitely a trigger- the vet surmised it was excess irritation of his bladder lining, which would explain the slight amount of blood in his urine as well.

My concern is how long this has been going on. Is it just that slow a healing process or is this going to be his new normal? I'm definitely going to schedule a vet appt to rule out a uti or anything else. But seeing as there's virtually no info about it on the internet, shockingly, I wanted to try to find out more.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kmclittle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just for reference, Monty is about 2.5 years old, an otherwise healthy cat who has had no problems using his litter box in the past. He is on a specialty diet to make is urine more acidic, in hopes that it'll prevent stone/ crystal formation. No medication, other than his daily probiotics. He was diagnosed with FLUTD, so he is more prone to bladder irritation, but to have his symptoms persist for so long? As an anxious pet parent it makes me VERY nervous, lol. Like I said, he acted very normal before so his symptoms must be from his blockage or the surgery itself. I just can't believe how vague information on post-op recovery is out there. The only info I could find was "my cat was totally fine," or "my cat was totally not fine." All in all, I'd rather have him be incontinent than not pee at all, but it's still drives a knife through my chest to see him so uncomfortable from time to time.

I strongly suggest anyone who is not familiar with urinary blockages in cats to research the symptoms, as it is life threatening. I've owned cats my entire life and I've never heard of it before until now (and I'm 30), which is disturbing for how common it actually is. Worst experience as a pet owner, as of yet.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My boy had PU surgery 3 years ago. He did not have any immediate issues once he had fully healed. Yet he did block again 2 years after the surgery. Fortunately he recovered and has been doing well the past year.

I did a lot of research on how to help him. I found a wonderful Facebook group ( I don't do facebook, but joined just for the knowledge of this group). You do need to request permission to join, but let me tell you, there is great info to be found. It's called Feline Lower Urinary Tract.

I have had my boy on a few supplements that really help. After the second blockage, I used D mannose to help keep an infection from developing. Then I added Corn Silk extract. This is to help with bladder irritation. I also have him on CBD as he is prone to stress and then he holds his urine. All of these supplements have helped him so much. Do some research and see if they might be a fit for your boy.

Urinary blockages are frightening. When my boy blocked ( he was 3 years old), I had no idea what was going on. He nearly died both times. It happens in the blink of an eye. I now use wireless ip cameras on the litter boxes so I am certain that he is urinating each day. I have 7 cats so it's often hard to tell who goes where!

I hope you can find some information that will be helpful to your kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kmclittle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I just sent a request join that group, I definitely think talking to people who've experienced it firsthand will help. I also think Monty would benefit from added supplements, I'll do some research into them!

I have a feeling that I'll just have to come to terms with his new way of life, but anything I can use to make him more comfortable helps!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just an FYI about the group. They are very very knowledgeable but also pretty much against prescription food and very pro raw food diet. They have their reasons and their beliefs. I don't feed prescription any more, but I do feed quality canned food and add lots of water to my boys food. It end up looking like soup. Yet, he doesn't like to drink water and water is so very important. I tried all kinds of water fountains and nothing worked for him.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! My boy had the PU surgery, and the vet advised his owner at the time that wet food needed to be fed. There was no specialty brand.

Two months is too long for him to still be having trouble, especially when he's starting to pee on soft things. Do be sure to talk to your vet, and let us know how things go :)

You might put unscented pee pads inside a litterbox and see if that will help him until this gets resolved.

TooManyFelines

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Two months post surgery seems too long for him to still have issues. He may have developed a UTI which is easier for them to do with a much shorter urethra. Or it could be cystitis which is trickier to address.

One of ours had PU surgery 12 years ago and once he was completely healed and off meds, he had no problems except for one UTI which was easily treated. In order to keep an eye on his peeing situation, my husband managed to train him to pee on command and he still does when prompted. :) We were advised to limit dry food and fish-based food and feed mostly canned with some water added.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Two months post surgery seems too long for him to still have issues. He may have developed a UTI which is easier for them to do with a much shorter urethra. Or it could be cystitis which is trickier to address.

One of ours had PU surgery 12 years ago and once he was completely healed and off meds, he had no problems except for one UTI which was easily treated. In order to keep an eye on his peeing situation, my husband managed to train him to pee on command and he still does when prompted. :) We were advised to limit dry food and fish-based food and feed mostly canned with some water added.
Ha! We trained our boy to pee on command too! I just open up the litter box and call for him. 90% of the time he will pee!