Peeing after being treated for UTI

Ezavora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I have a cat who randomly started peeing in our air vents and around the house. Obviously strange behavior. I took her to the vet who took some urine samples to find she had a mild UTI. she's been on medication for about a week or so. Now she has began peeing again. Her and my first cat fight here and there and when we first brought this cat home she struggled using the litter box because my resident cat bullied her a bit. That has been months prior and im not seeing personally any struggle between the 2 anymore but obviously I could be wrong. My husband is at his wits end with the peeing and im trying so hard to find a solution

dddiam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a similar problem. My 18-year old cat poops in the litter pan, but pees on the floor in front of it. Per the vet, she does not have a UTI. The vet suggested some dementia, but I have my doubts.

I have also tried a bladder control remedy -- Homeopet "Leaks No More", to no avail.

Peeing outside of the litter pan is often an emotional problem -- being frightened, bullied by another cat, not having her needs met, etc. I have seen cases where custom Bach Flower combinations help.

I am considering consulting a pet communicator.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, do you have multiple litterboxes, located in different places from where the original bullying took place? Also, as mentioned calming products may help.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you saying that after the UTI was diagnosed and your cat was given medication (antibiotics?) that she stopped peeing in the vents but has started back up again? I am sorry, I wasn't sure.

I don't know what defines a 'mild UTI', but a lot of times more than one week of antibiotics is needed to completely eradicate a UTI. And it likely takes at least a few days after starting antibiotics to start to see improvement. If a urine culture wasn't done along with the urinalysis, the most effective antibiotic might not have been chosen and may not entirely resolve the infection. Is she on any other medications?

The other thing to consider is setting up baby cams where these two cats spend time to see if you can identify if there is bullying going on. If there is bullying still going on, you may have to separate the two cats when you are not home to observe and intervene. And the 'bully' will need to be worked with to teach her to learn she cannot bother the other cat.

Your situation sounded familiar, so I searched this site and found other threads you've posted regarding this issue and that the problem has pretty much been going on since shortly after you got Sasha back maybe at the end of last year, correct? If there still is friction going on between the two, the anxiety might have contributed to the UTI. And Sasha may need more than just antibiotics. Some cats who have high anxiety can also acquire bladder spasms and inflammation along with an infection. It is also possible that Sophie may need some calming products if that might help stop her from bothering Sasha.

I've included links below to your previous posts in case that might help members come up with some other ideas for you. I also included a couple of TCS articles (links also below) that might be helpful to you as well.
Litter box help | TheCatSite
Advice on rehoming | TheCatSite
Cat peeing in random spots | TheCatSite
Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Cat Behavior Problems [What to do and what not to do] – TheCatSite Articles

Last edited:

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sometimes, even after the health issue that led a cat out of her box has been solved, the behavior still remains.

The first area I'd tackle is the litter box set up. Wondering where they are and how many you have? With multiple cats, especially when there has been bullying, you want to make sure you have multiple litter box areas that are easy to get to, have good visibility and have multiple points of exit and entry. This way, cats won't feel like they can be ambushed while using the box.

You also want to make sure your litter boxes are hoodless.

Where are the vents that she is urinating in? Could you start by getting a few more litter boxes, and putting them right in the illegal spots?

Please keep us posted--I have lots of ideas for this issue!!

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a similar problem. My 18-year old cat poops in the litter pan, but pees on the floor in front of it. Per the vet, she does not have a UTI. The vet suggested some dementia, but I have my doubts.

I have also tried a bladder control remedy -- Homeopet "Leaks No More", to no avail.

Peeing outside of the litter pan is often an emotional problem -- being frightened, bullied by another cat, not having her needs met, etc. I have seen cases where custom Bach Flower combinations help.

I am considering consulting a pet communicator.
Hello! I'm also wondering how many litter boxes you have for your 18 year old. As cats get older, their preferences and toileting behavior can change, so it's possible that she has decided that she no longer wants to poop where she urinates and vice versa. I would first try adding another litter box right by the first. Since you have an older cat, you might try a very easy to access box like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074MKWWQ2/?tag=thecatsite

It's so expensive for what it is, but it is a really nice box that is easy to get into and provides ample space for toileting. My disabled cat was urinating right in front of her box occasionally, so I placed this one in front of it, and that has solved our issue.

Please keep us posted! If this doesn't work, I have lots of other ideas.

dddiam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I'm also wondering how many litter boxes you have for your 18 year old. As cats get older, their preferences and toileting behavior can change, so it's possible that she has decided that she no longer wants to poop where she urinates and vice versa. I would first try adding another litter box right by the first. Since you have an older cat, you might try a very easy to access box like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074MKWWQ2/?tag=thecatsite
Thanks for the thoughts. I have no room in the laundry room, but I could put a second box in the basement.
I have a few things to try first.
I am in the process of swapping out the old litter box for one slightly longer, and adding a liner. I will also make the litter deeper. She has trouble burying her feces with the current situation.

I think that she has a bad association with peeing in the litter box. She did have a UTI last summer, when this started, and she might be associating peeing in the litter box with pain. If so, your suggestion might help.

dddiam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Making progress. Yesterday, I got rid of my 19" long litter box, and put in a 21" one instead (standard stream-table size).
Princess got most of her pee inside the box this time, with just a tiny bit on the floor. Constructing a longer, custom box, will take a little more time.

She pees on the way into to box, then turns around before defecating. I will continue with the homeopathic bladder control remedy.

dddiam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I do have to say, I’ve been reading a LOT about people mentioning multiple litter boxes for their cat. I thought they were bonkers: “What, for ONE CAT I need multiple litter boxes?“ but I just tried it this week and lo, Zorro adores it. More work for me, but if it means he’s happy I don’t mind. I got to thinking if I had to do my duties in a house, I’d like a d-mn clean litter box, wherever and whenever I went. It does sound as if, from what you’ve been telling us, there is something in her past that makes a litter box …not unwelcome, exactly, but maybe new on her? I had a crazy thought: could you wean her onto one by creating a litter box OVER just one air vent, providing of course you aren’t actually using them? Do you know much about her history? I’m assuming you’ve tried her out on different kinds of litter?