Peeeeeeeee-yooooooooooooooo!!!!!

stefaroo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Holy stinky ammonia, batman!! Dusty, 9 year old girl, recently brought into the home to live in Cold War-like peace with my two boys, has stinky ammonia pee! She's using the box, drinking and eating no problem. I noticed her stinky pee right from the get-go. The boys have never had any stinky pee issues in the past. All of them are on dry vet food but I'm wondering if a switch to small amounts of wet food might help the Dustmop with her stinky ammonia pee. Clean bill of health from the vet, btw, prior to her joining the posse. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is she spayed? I would think that concentrated urine would be more stinkier than one diluted with more fluids. Yup - give her wet food and perhaps entice her with a water fountain.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stefaroo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dusty is indeed fixed. We leave water in various places throughout the house so all three beasts can have ready access to water. Any suggestions as to specific wet food? Thought I'd go with science diet for senior kitties.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by stefaroo

Any suggestions as to specific wet food? Thought I'd go with science diet for senior kitties.
Post this question in the Cat Nutrician thread. There are advisors that hang out there that will see your question and will get you a better answer than I can.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stinky pee also makes me think possibly UTI. Has she specifically had her urine tested for a UTI? Or is it possible she could have kidney issues? I ask, as a "clean bill of health" varies from one vet to another.

stefaroo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Clean bill of health includes clean UTI. I specifically wanted to make sure that she was okay before she was brought into the home. She's part of the package deal when my boyfriend moved in with me. My boys were fine and I wanted to make sure that she was as well so there would be any additional stresses associated with introducing a new cat to the brood. You want a history? Check out my post today in Behaviour Forum titled "Kitty Cold War"!!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Stinky pee also makes me think possibly UTI. Has she specifically had her urine tested for a UTI? Or is it possible she could have kidney issues? I ask, as a "clean bill of health" varies from one vet to another.
Renal failure has very dilute urine, with virtually no smell, as it is mostly water, because the kidneys can't concentrate it. I'm thinking UTI too, as Lola's urine is very strong smelling when she has a UTI (and pink tinged from the blood.)

stefaroo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks all. After a weekend of introducing some really good high quality wet food in addition to her regular dry food, I've already noticed a big difference in Dusty's "output". It's still a bit smelly, but nowhere near as bad as it was. Thanks for the info re blood in the urine - definitely something to keep a lookout for, but it is, at present, all normal.