Pee By Side of Toilet Mystery

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So my 14 year old son is known to rush at the toilet. However, for many months now we have been getting a bit of pee on the left side of the toilet back on the left side sort of behind the bowl a tad. I just don't know that it is biomechanically possible for it to be my son. I don't think I could get pee in that exact spot if I tried, especially, and I apologize for this, without spraying the wall (lol). My wife things maybe he is hitting the seat and it is dribbling down, but that doesn't make sense to me given the quantity and that I've never found that side of the toilet seat wet. Also, my son is a pretty decent kid (at times), we have talked about this many times, and he swears up and down it cant be him. So I'm starting to strongly suspect my 5 yr old cat (this started before the kitten). I've never learned to distinguish the smell of human and cat pee. My wife is the one with the amazing nose, but asking her to actively sniff pee is a non starter so that doesn't help.

Flip side, counter argument -- as much as I want to believe it is the cat, and can't understand the physics of it being my son, I have never even seen the cat in that bathroom, much less in that spot. Nor does this cat have accidents afaik. So its a real mystery. Or I'm just greatly overthinking it and need to rub my son's nose in it lol.

Is this something anyone has seen a cat do?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The thought of you rubbing your sons nose on it made me laugh, if you do it, please video it, we could all do with a good laugh at this time.

Back to being serious, if you doubt you could reach that spot, then I doubt your son could. Is it possible to talk to your son, ask to check the toilet before he uses it and check after. If the cat cant get access to the bathroom then it cant be the cat.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cat COULD be peeing there, he may smell the human urine and think it is a place to go. You might try pouring a little water on the rim of the toilet and see where it ends up. It could run down the side of the toilet and with a slight unlevelness of the floor, pool towards the back. Running down the side, any leftover urine would dry in minutes. I have found this after my grandson visits, they hurry and I don't think pay any attention to what they are doing. One way to find out for sure is to keep the door closed for a month. Only humans could enter then. The closed-door might remind your son to be more careful too, so it would take a while to fall back into bad habits. If the cat is doing it, it would only happen if the door is open. one thing to do is to get a small 'hinge' available at hardware sores and amazon, to keep the door closed, It could be removed later. if you are handy, loosing the screws slightly on either the top or bottom hinge (I can't remember which one) would swing the door closed too. In the meantime use a good cat urine destroyer to remove any urine, it works on ALL urine very well.