Pedialyte Past 48 Hours?

catman925

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I regularly use unflavored Pedialyte for cats that are dehydrated but of course, I always end up throwing out most of each bottle because no cat is going to drink that much Pedialyte within the manufacturer's 48 hour timeframe. Their website's FAQ states the 48 hour rule is to guard against possible "touch contamination" once the bottle has been opened as the only reason (as opposed to the product going bad or losing it's "punch" after 48 hours).

Since I am always pouring the Pedialyte into a separate container (water dish, wet food) as opposed to the cat drinking from the bottle like a human might, I'm wondering if it's safe to use past 24 hours (like say 5 days or something).

I also saw references to a powdered single portions option that's available, but I've never seen it and I heard that those don't come in unflavored, which is required for cats to drink it.

Any industry wonks, pharamacists, or cat professionals here who could definitively shed some light on this topic? In my experience doing cat rescue, I know there are lots of people who would like to know what's the skinny on this. It would greatly help out with our budgetary constraints.

-Art

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why not make ice cubes and portion it out that way? I would suggest that you remove the ice cubes from the tray once solid and store in a sealed baggie or tupperware to prevent (further) freezer burn. It's probably less an issue with Pedialyte than food, though. Pedialyte suggests against making ice cubes because they have their own frozen product. But I don't know if that one is safe for cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catman925

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why not make ice cubes and portion it out that way? I would suggest that you remove the ice cubes from the tray once solid and store in a sealed baggie or tupperware to prevent (further) freezer burn. It's probably less an issue with Pedialyte than food, though. Pedialyte suggests against making ice cubes because they have their own frozen product. But I don't know if that one is safe for cats.
yes, I read that as well. ice cubes might be an option though

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I read it wasn't safe because of the added zinc in it is that not true? I was about to give my little guy some now I'm nervous

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I read it wasn't safe because of the added zinc in it is that not true? I was about to give my little guy some now I'm nervous
There are so many members on here who have recommended Pedialyte, and especially to kittens. So, I would think it would be OK. But, you might get more responses, and hopefully quicker, by starting your own thread specifically about your concern.