1. Guest, hurry up! Enter this giveaway to win an awesome cat-themed bag worth $64.99! Click here to enter today. Multiple daily entries!

Pedialyte / Dioralyte Equivalents

Discussion in 'Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care' started by scraggles, Jun 19, 2017 at 2:56 AM.

1. scraggles

scraggles TCS Member Adult Cat

Sep 26, 2016
    I often see Pedialyte mentioned here as a help for dehydrated kitties. I also saw mentioned in another thread that someone outside the U.S. did not have access to it.

For humans the Irish/British (and I think European) equivalent for Pedialyte is called Dioralyte and is readily available in pharmacies. I'm nearly certain Dioralyte can be used for kittens - would anyone know for certain as it might be a useful thing to know for us on the other side of the pond?

I think Dioralyte can be got in other European counties - but, again, if anyone knows this for certain it might be handy to know alternatives.

There are, if course, homemade recipes for Pedialyte but Dioralyte might just be a helpful replacement or worth a mention if it is kitty safe.

https://www.dioralyte.co.uk/

(As an aside - might it be an idea to start a European/U.S glossary of sorts that people can add to as they come up as a go-to for when looking for or giving advice? - although maybe most things correspond already.) :beerchug:

Edited to reduce the overwhelming amount of times I used the word "handy"! :p

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 4:40 AM
    sunshineclare and stefanz purraised this.
  2. stefanz

stefanz Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Sep 18, 2005
    Sweden
    I havent heard about the term dioralyte. So I presume its a commercial brand product. That said, its probably good - they mention salts and glucose sugar...

So tx, good to know, the word dioralyte exists too, and in some countries would be as good.

scraggles purraised this.
  3. sunshineclare

sunshineclare TCS Member Alpha Cat

Dec 28, 2016
    London, UK
    This is very helpful, we have 4 newborn kittens and thinking to get some of this in case we need it xx

scraggles purraised this.
  4. Sarthur2

Sarthur2 Cat lady extraordinaire Staff Member Advisor

Mar 8, 2015
    Sunny Florida
    It is an electrolyte solution that is similar to U.S. pedialyte. :)

5. talkingpeanut

talkingpeanut TCS Member Top Cat

Oct 12, 2015
    @stefanz

Perhaps you could post your homemade recipe here too!