Pectus Excavatum

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thought I’d share this. Last year I had a kitten diagnosed with pectus excavatum. The hope was that he’d reach 2 pounds so he could have corrective surgery but his chest caused one of his lungs to collapase at 5.5 weeks old and his functioning lung was pushing on his heart and compromising it. He had emergency surgery and is now thriving. He had to wear this brace for several weeks.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
He is so cute! I am so glad to hear that he is doing well! Thanks for caring!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He looks so cute and is lucky to be with you! Thanks for sharing! :)

Catmomma14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
May I ask what type of surgery it was? I just got a kitten and I believe he has the same birth defect and I have been reading some not so great news about this disease. Is your cat still thriving? Or do I need to consider putting him to sleep as a strong possiblity?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
May I ask what type of surgery it was? I just got a kitten and I believe he has the same birth defect and I have been reading some not so great news about this disease. Is your cat still thriving? Or do I need to consider putting him to sleep as a strong possiblity?
A plate was attached to his chest and pulled his sternum away from his spine. How old is the kitten? Age and severity of the defect will impact the outcome. It can be devastating when very young kittens are severely affected and many don’t make it. Sometimes they get to a safer age for surgery but complications arise and they don’t survive. But there are cases where they do survive to an age where they can have the surgery and they recover with no complications. Latte had an echocardiogram before going to his new home (I foster) to see if he had any lasting damage to his heart from it being compromised prior to the surgery and the cardiologist said everything looked good. I heard from his adopter on his 1 year birthday and he was thriving. Hannah Shaw @kittenxlady had one last year who also survived. If you have an Instagram you can see more of Latte’s story if you search the hashtag #baristakittens. There are other stories under the hashtag #pectusexcavatumkitten