Peas in Instinct canned Turkey, limited ingredients.....?

victornewman03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, all has been well with the cat who adopted us about 5-6 years ago.
My stepdaughter 300 miles away has been feeding her 12 y/o female....Instinct, as per the title of this thread. 5 days ago...lots of throwing up and visits to the vet....to no avail. Yesterday after x-rays and ultrasound...surgery was done and a HARD pea was found in the upper intestine.

Anyone else have a comment about this product ? (Turkey, turkey broth, liver, peas, pea protein...........)

Thank you.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Has your daughter ever found/seen hard peas in the food? Did she talk to the company about their manufacturing processes? Do they cook the peas, steam them, is there any chance a dried pea could have gotten into a batch, would they review their methods so it doesn't happen to another cat...

On the other hand, is it possible the cat found one on the floor?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

victornewman03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Fur...... She and hubs took video of hard pea and sent to to mfr. They wrote back promptly...... indicating they are looking into it. Don't think it was on the floor. I'll get back with more info as it become available to me. She did see peas in this variety previously and picked them out before feeding.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

victornewman03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Heard back from up north.......pea is a dried split pea. Hard. SIL took a video with sound and showed it bouncing off counter top..... and sent it off to mfr. They wrote back to file a complaint.

Katdog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Heard back. They sent in vet bills for close to $ 5,000. Denied so now there are lawyers involved.
wow that escalated quickly (okay not really cause I just a 2-3 week window between your posts, but reading the posts with nothing in between it appeared to have escalated quickly lol). love to hear the out come of this. instinct is no small ma and pop, wouldn't be surprised if theres an army of lawyers on their end.

I was thinking of switching to instinct wet food, their ingredients does identify peas as part of the recipe. very curious.