Pawing At The Water Bowl But Not Drinking

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This past weekend I sent my little Lily over the Rainbow Bridge. In her last month alive, she was very dehydrated a few times and I noticed a particular behavior I’d never seen her do before in all my 16 years as her Furmom. She wasn’t eating at all during these times and the day we laid her to rest she pawed at her water bowl numerous times and splashed the water everywhere but didn’t drink. It scared me. She definitely wasn’t playing. In my mind I was thinking this is something that happens when they’re delirious from dehydration? Could this be? I can’t find any info about it. I’ve spoken to one other cat owner who said right before her kitty passed away he also did this.
I’m so distraught thinking my poor girl was suffering so much and second guessing why I didn’t do fluids at home bc she seemed to be dehydrated all the time. I’m searching for answers to justify losing my sweet Lily.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I truly believe they have so much misery when they DO drink, they instinctively don't. But they want to, and instinct also drives them to try. I have seen this with dying kittens who have distemper, they even fall face first into the water, but they won't/can't drink. it is one of the most heartbreaking things to witness. Don't second guess yourself on the giving subQ fluids, we did and I actually think it made them MORE miserable. When the body is shutting down, it just can't handle it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I’m just trying to get answers. I guess this is part of my process of grieving her loss. I’m replaying every moment of her last days wondering if I could’ve done something different.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did see this article but it doesn’t mention what I was seeing. My little girl was nearing her end. I’m thinking it’s an end of life behavior as she wasn’t playing at all, not drinking or eating.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about Lily's death. My cat died late last year, and in her last months with us, she became increasingly obsessed with the bathtub and shower. A colleague told me this happened with her senior cat when she was approaching the end of her life as well.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you. I’m just trying to get answers. I guess this is part of my process of grieving her loss. I’m replaying every moment of her last days wondering if I could’ve done something different.
My heartfelt sympathies go out to you on the loss of Lily. :angel: I completely agree with you that this is part of the grieving process and I think we all wonder if there was something we could have done differently. I felt this way with every single cat I have sent to the Bridge. You were a wonderful and caring furmom. Her memories will be in your heart forever. :hugs:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those last days and hours seem like a never ending loop in our mind.Just try to remember that there was likely nothing that could have been done to make a difference in the outcome. A few more days or weeks might have also prolonged her pain. Goodbyes are never easy.........

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
di and bob di and bob and to the OP, I also wish I hadn't agreed to the subq for our Maine coon two days before she passed.
It didn't help, I don't believe and I regret it.
Sending you my condolences and healing thoughts.