Pavlov strikes again!

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So our little Desmond is a perfectly naughty cat--who loves going outdoors. So, not feeling it is safe enough to do the "outdoor cat" thing, we've gotten him used to outdoor time with us on a harness.

But just now, as I was setting up a slow cook barbecue as my contribution to an engagement party this weekend, the little devil must have slipped past me. I thought I was careful. I had no clue he got out.

But then I look out the kitchen window and I see my little hunter.

"Catching" him is possible, but there is no guarantee. And it can take awhile, depending on his mood.

Here is where human intelligence, Dr Pavlov, and the art of good eating come together.

Since we adopted Desmond, in addition to calling him with a codeword that's so silly I dare not say it. I have also rung a little dinner bell.

So we I saw him outside, instead of PANIC!, I cut up a little dark meat turkey, openen the back door, rang the bell, and he was in like a flash!

Pavlov didn't win a Nobel prize for nuttin' ;)

Bill

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's a lovely story Bill. Thanks for sharing.

My late cat Lily and I lived at one point in an apartment building. We lived on the first floor which was actually not the ground floor but about a half storey above. My roommate at the time smoked and went on the balcony in the winter. Well she snuck out one day and because the snow was so high she jumped in it. She immediately froze and then my roommate panicked, yelled for me and jumped of after her!

I came to see the commotion. Calmed grabbed her treats, out the door and down the stairs to the back door. Just a little shake of the bag and she was in my arms. Classic conditioning to the rescue!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's a lovely story Bill. Thanks for sharing.

My late cat Lily and I lived at one point in an apartment building. We lived on the first floor which was actually not the ground floor but about a half storey above. My roommate at the time smoked and went on the balcony in the winter. Well she snuck out one day and because the snow was so high she jumped in it. She immediately froze and then my roommate panicked, yelled for me and jumped of after her!

I came to see the commotion. Calmed grabbed her treats, out the door and down the stairs to the back door. Just a little shake of the bag and she was in my arms. Classic conditioning to the rescue!
I've heard legends about the sound of electric can openers on cats.

Classic conditioning is a beautiful thing!

Bill

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've heard legends about the sound of electric can openers on cats.

Classic conditioning is a beautiful thing!

Bill
When I use the can opener, Neko-chan keeps on sleeping. When my husband uses it, she's winding around his ankles and meowing. She's learned that when I use it, it's usually a can of tomatoes. When he uses it, it means it's time for yummy tuna water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I use the can opener, Neko-chan keeps on sleeping. When my husband uses it, she's winding around his ankles and meowing. She's learned that when I use it, it's usually a can of tomatoes. When he uses it, it means it's time for yummy tuna water.
Now that is interesting!

Sounds like one very smart cat.

Fortunately, I do the feeding in our family. And oddly enough, it is my wife who has no difficulties with rescuing Desmond when he escapes outside. We me, he plays what we call "reindeer games." LOL

Bill