Paul's Big Adventure

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
(I sent this in fun in a PM to Margret Margret and Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 and they thought I should post it here. It is based on a true event.)

PAUL'S BIG ADVENTURE
IMG_0065.jpeg

Once upon a time, there was a very big, very heavy, very beautiful Black Cat named Paul. One of his favorite things to do, other than eating and sleeping, was to explore the hall outside HIS DOOR and rub his cheeks against all of the Other Doors so that any visiting cats would know that the Other Doors were actually His Doors and not to get any ideas. One of His Doors was also an Exit Door and led to 4 flights of steps. He really, really wanted to go through that door but so far, his human had ignored his demands requests to open it.

One day, she finally gave in. She figured that he would have to go down those steps in case of an emergency, so he might as well get used to it. Paul was thrilled! He ran through to the space on the other side and then ran back and forth a few times before zooming down the steps to the third floor. There he waited for his human, demanding requesting that she open it so he could explore the third floor hall.

"Nuthin' doin," his human said. A brief battle of wills took place before his human CHEATED!!! and picked him up and, with no regard for his dignity, lugged him back up the stairs like a sack of flour. Panting and half-dead from the exertion, she opened the door to the fourth floor hall and plopped gently placed him on the floor.

Paul was a little bit disoriented. He ran to HIS DOOR and then back to the Exit His Door two or three times, not quite sure he was in the right place. And then it happened. DISASTER!!! An unfamiliar human rounded the corner at the other end of the hall and trudged towards him. She glared at him, scowling as she drew closer and closer.

"I'm sorry. He got out by mistake", lied his human with a "what can you do?" smile.

The unfamiliar human was not mollified. "Big Black Cat like that is BAD LUCK!!!" she spit out as she unlocked her His Door.

His human was shocked! "Not at all!!!" she exclaimed. Searching for something innocuous to say that would not alienate her neighbor further, she said "It depends on where you're from, in some.."

"Harrisburg P.A!" snapped Mean Woman the neighbor, before Paul's human could point out that black cats are considered GOOD LUCK in some places. Mean Woman the neighbor gave Paul a final glare before shutting His Door behind her.

By now, Paul had confirmed that HIS DOOR was indeed HIS DOOR and was quite eager to run inside and tell his sister Chula all about his big adventure and about Mean Woman who lived across the hall. In he went, where he and his sister both got some treats. Just because.

Paul is now sleeping sweetly on a cushion.

Chula is now stationed by HER DOOR, ready for an adventure of her own.

THE END​

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Thank you, on Paul's behalf for the compliments! :redheartpump: He is a real love bug and has brought me nothing but happiness. I hadn't heard anyone attribute bad luck to black cats and really mean it in years so I was really taken aback. 🙀

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I loved your story! I can only hope that with each generation, stupid superstitions such as that one will be lost in history. I have a mother in law that believes cats suck the breathe out of babies and kill them! I myself, consider black cats GOOD luck. I hope Paul continues to enjoy all HIS doors, and doen't let that mean old, I mean neighbor, spoil his fun!

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
:wave3:Gypsy wanted me to ask you to let Paul know not to let the mean lady upset him too much. There are great people out there who actually have enough sense to realize that, just like hoomuns, color doesn't matter, it's the purrsonality that counts. And he has a fantastic one. Even though she isn't the neighborhood stray anymore she knows all about marking HER territory when we venture outside, although she mostly uses the other end. :catrub:
20200105_153222.jpg
20200105_145200.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Thank you, everyone for all the nice comments! It has really made my day. Paul will have a very swollen head after all the lovely compliments!

I loved Paul's adventure. He is a very handsome cat just beautiful. Some people are just stupid. I have only owned one black cat he was so special I would not hesitate owning another. Give Paul a cuddle from me.
Black cats are great! Paul says thank you for the cuddle as he has not had one for weeks. That last part is completely untrue, btw!

I love my two black cats! I didn't even give their color thought when a friend's cat had kittens, they are brothers and very bonded and loving too!
Aw, what sweeties! The only thing better than one black cat is two black cats!

Wish I could get Geoffrey into a halter....sigh....
You can't tell it from the photo, but Paul was so unhappy wearing the halter that I finally gave up on trying to get him to wear one. He really, really hated it.

:wave3:Gypsy wanted me to ask you to let Paul know not to let the mean lady upset him too much. There are great people out there who actually have enough sense to realize that, just like hoomuns, color doesn't matter, it's the purrsonality that counts. And he has a fantastic one. Even though she isn't the neighborhood stray anymore she knows all about marking HER territory when we venture outside, although she mostly uses the other end.
I will pass on Gypsy's message. It is so true. Paul sensed Mean Woman's hostility and he really was a little unnerved by her so he will appreciate hearing that. Gypsy is beautiful and obviously owns the street upon which her sweet little paws are striding. Love the photo of her making sure everyone knows it's her territory! I hope Paul doesn't reverse ends the next time he is on a marking expedition!

I loved your story! I can only hope that with each generation, stupid superstitions such as that one will be lost in history. I have a mother in law that believes cats suck the breathe out of babies and kill them! I myself, consider black cats GOOD luck. I hope Paul continues to enjoy all HIS doors, and doen't let that mean old, I mean neighbor, spoil his fun!
Oh, thank you! I'm glad you liked it. It's a shame about your MIL, but that particular superstition seems to have a lot of staying power. I've actually had more people tell me the breath sucking superstition than claim black cats are bad luck.

Great story! I absolutely love black cats. Have had many over the years, and loved every one of them!
Thank you. Yeah, black cats are wonderful. All cats are beautiful, but black cats are especially elegant and so affectionate!

Black fur is bad luck only to the cat, because prejudiced humans use it as an excuse for cruelty.
Yeah. I don't like to think about that, but you are so right.

I LOVE Paul! And Mean People are the ones that are bad luck.
He's a sweetie, alright. Also a big goofball. I just love him to pieces. And yeah, it's the mean people who bring the bad luck.
Reading this great true story was such enjoyable way to end my day, thank you! And you should write a children’s book and have Paul as the focal point 👍🏼😁
I'm so glad you liked it! Paul would probably love to be the star of his own book as his sister tends to hog all the attention. He's pretty laid back.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a shame about your MIL, but that particular superstition seems to have a lot of staying power. I've actually had more people tell me the breath sucking superstition than claim black cats are bad luck.
That one has staying power for two reasons (in my opinion):
  • People are terrified of SIDS (with good cause), and don't understand it.
  • Cats are attracted to the smell of milk in the mouths of babies, so they'll sniff at the baby's mouth, maybe even stick their noses inside the mouth when the baby is sleeping with her mouth open. People see this and put it together with crib death and leap to the logical (wrong) conclusion. When cats keep doing things that give the wrong impression it's no surprise that people get the wrong impression.
Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, now that I think about it there's something else going on with superstitions about cats. We all know about cattitude, of course. Well, so does everybody else who's ever so much as met a cat, because cats project their sense of superiority. It takes a certain amount of self assurance to see that and laugh at it, to say "Yes, I know you're a mighty hunter, but I'm still not going to let you chase that bunny rabbit because those hind legs could rip your belly open."

People who don't know cats well just sense the cattitude, and it offends them. And it especially offends them if they have a sneaking suspicion that the cat actually is better than they are. And they don't analyze these feelings, they just look for some "reason" to distrust cats. Like assuming that black cats are bad luck. Or that cats are responsible for Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. Or taking the old myths and assuming that all cats are witch's familiars (and therefore all people with cats are probably witches - shades of the dark ages!). These superstitions are comforting for people who feel insecure and unsure of themselves. In fact, I bet that's where a lot of conspiracy theories come from - a need to find a villain rather than confront one's own inadequacies head-on.

Margret