Patter, new/different kind of seizure?

P+P's Meom

What if I don't want to stay calm?
Adult Cat
Purraise
20201015_182654.jpg

{Current issue is below in red.}

Patter was diagnosed with epilepsy when she was just over a year old. She's now 6.5yo.

She's only ever had focal seizures, but they began lasting for over a minute and up to 10x a day by the time she was put on meds.

They have been fairly well-controlled since 2018. (She was 4yo) She still has them once in a while, but they are brief and I can usually bring her back by touching her and talking to her.

Six months ago, I saw her have a "staring seizure." After that first "episode" went on for over an hour, I asked our vet for some diazepam, "just in case." She needed some twice in the first month, not at all since.

I have noticed the stares off and on. There seems to be more recently, but that could be that I'm on alert for them. They're not brief 2 - 3 second things. She stares, comes back for a second or two and then stares more, totally unaware, for minutes at a time. They seem to affect her harder than the focals do. Maybe cuz they're newer and so scarier?? IDK.

now, my concern/questions

Patter usually sleeps snuggled against me for at least part of the night. I sleep with a pillow between my knees, she sleeps on the rest of the pillow, in the crook of my legs, and uses my thigh as a pillow. It's a nice little nest.

When Patter is ready for bed, she. is. ready.
She picks her spot, plops down + that's it. No messing around.

Except last night. I turned the light off and she came + jumped into bed, on her part of the pillow. Then she started to kind of squirm around, kneading, squirm, flopped herself over, squirm, knead, flop. flop.

The first "squirm flop" I thought she was telling me I hadn't fixed her pillow adequately. But she kept doing it. Over and over. It was too dark to see her and I couldn't reach the light switch, so I lay there thinking WHAT is happening?! and WHAT do I do ... if anything??

I reached my hand down to pat her like I do with her focal/staring seizures and she forcefully shoved my hand away with a back foot. But she didn't stop "squirm flopping."

This went on for prob'ly around a minute. (aka forever) Then she went to sleep.

Today she's acted like she does after a long focal or staring seizure. Kind of weirded out. Sleeping more than usual. Wants extra attention. Starving. She prob'ly ate 3x what she normally does.

Seizure, right? But was it a convulsion? Was she in danger? What should I do if it happens again? The part where she pushed my hand away has me confused ...

I know this is most likely a "keep a close eye on her" thing. But it's got me really weirded out and a bit worried. Is her epilepsy worsening??

Moving the light switch closer to the bed!

:sleepycat:

eta: she's on zonisamide, 50mg 3x/daily and keppra 125mg 3x/daily

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is one of those things that you need to discuss with your vet. I've known more than my fair share of epileptic humans, due to my decades long stint in health care, and I can tell you that it is neither unusual or unexpected to have to make changes and/or adjustments to medication periodically. That is probaby what this is. Take your phone to the bedroom with you, and if this repeats before you have a talk with your vet, tell him that you have a video of it. That will help him help her more than anything.

Meanwhile, and in the lack of anything concrete to tell you, or sage advice to give, I'll get a candle lit for Patter!

00LitCandle.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

P+P's Meom

Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't witnessed another one, but that doesn't mean too much. Pitter has to see the vet the beginning of Nov. and I'll talk to the vet ... and then prob'ly take her in the next week. It's been stressful here at home and I know that's triggering her focal seizures ...
:sickcat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

P+P's Meom

Adult Cat
Purraise
Almost a month later and it's been a long one, one thing after another. Haven't made it to the vet yet …

My sweet little Patter …:angelcat:
Hadn't witnessed another “different seizure” {until last night …} I've only seen a couple of brief focal seizures {normal for her} but she's definitely having more staring seizures. She's sleeping more. Isolating. Has that “hung over” look a lot.

At bedtime, she sits and watches me get the blankets and her pillow situated, then I pat the pillow and she jumps into bed and snuggles in. :zzzcat:

Last night, she snuggled in a very different position from how she usually does. I turned out the light and put my hand down by her to give her a pat. She grabbed onto my hand {which she has never done} and it then felt like she was sticking her elbows out … first the left, then the right, then she'd lick my hand once … over and over … very rhythmic … making sure my hand didn't go anywhere.

She snapped out of it when I reached for the light switch because I moved the hand she was holding on to.
Then she went right to sleep. I did not.

Because of the way we lay, I'm not going to be able to video her. Reaching for the light isn't going to work either. Guess we'll sleep with a night light on for a while so I'll be better able to tell her vet what's going on.

I'm worried sick that her focal + staring seizures will turn/are turning into convulsions . . .
I hate that we're most likely going to have to switch her meds and go thru all of that trial and error crap again … :sigh:

Pitter has a vet appt December 3 for blood-work, but now need to discuss his ongoing tummy aches as well.
Going to call tomorrow and add Patter to the appointment.

and of course, I feel like I'm such a bad meom … BOTH of my babies are sick
:sniffle: