Patter has an arterial embolism / blood clot

P+P's Meom

What if I don't want to stay calm?
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is a GoFundMe on the SOS forum.
Please Help Me Save Patter
{It's pretty much word for word as this post.}

Before you post a list of links for “places that might help” . . .
PLEASE BE AWARE that these organizations DO NOT help pay for Diagnostic Testing, which is what Patter needs.

This post is me asking for moral support cuz I'm scared and sad.

You may remember Pitter's adventures just over 2 years ago. Patter is his little sister, a litter-mate.

Late Monday night {Dec.27,} Patter started limping really bad. By the next morning, she had totally lost all control of her back legs. She dragged herself around on her rear-end with her front legs. Her vet saw us right away n the morning. {I definitely picked a good one!}

Dr. H believes that she has "thrown an embolism." A blood clot had formed, has traveled thru an artery, and is now causing partial blockage. That blockage is affecting her leg muscles due to the decreased blood flow.

She was put on some strong pain meds. By Friday, Dec.31, she was able to use her legs a bit, for very short distances. This is a great sign, but she is far from "ok".

She urgently needs to see a specialty vet and have a cardiac ultrasound to confirm the diagnosis, so that we can start treatment asap.
That will involve an anti-coagulant to break up the clot, and blood-thinners to prevent another from forming. Invasive procedures/surgery is rarely an option for cats. Without treatment, she has a 50% chance of surviving.

Bravery and strength must run in the family. She amazes me. She hasn't let any of this cause her to give up and stop trying. She made it very clear, when we got home from the vet, that she does NOT want any help. Thank You Very Much!
It was agony to watch her struggle to get into the litter-box. It took a solid minute for her to do it, but dammit, she did it by herself!
It's been a bit easier for her the last couple days . . .

But she can't climb or jump right now. I miss her napping on the back of my chair while I'm online. I miss her snuggling up against me in bed.

Even Pitter realizes something's wrong. He's stopped goading her and picking fights. He comes to bed with me and snuggles til he thinks I'm sleeping. Then he goes and snuggles with Patter on her cushion on the floor.

They are both very determined and strong felines. Patter is just as determined and strong as her brother, if not more!
Pitter was diagnosed with Pancreatitis two years ago.

Three months ago, he went into renal failure and was hospitalized for 3 days. His odds were pretty slim, but he's never been one to just give up either. {Still working on that bill . . .}

He hits a rough patch once in a while and has alot of abdominal pain. Right before Patter started limping, I'd stayed awake rubbing his tummy for 3 nights in a row.

Stuff About Me:
I am a 60+ year old, single woman on disability.
Almost 8 years ago, two very sick, scrawny, 4 week old kittens and I rescued each other. I named them Pitter and Patter, they are brother and sister litter-mates.

I honestly can't imagine how I'd have gotten through everything that's happened in that time. Leaving a 25yr marriage, finding out I needed to do chemotherapy . . . just relearning how to be on my own . . . P+P have often been my only reason for getting out of bed. They are the light of my life. They *are* my Emotional Support Animals, in my heart as well as officially.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

P+P's Meom

Adult Cat
Purraise
Patter's got some cattitude hidden in all that sweetness of hers!
20210913_132450_remastered.jpg

She's doing pretty good, but very frustrated that
she can't jump up on to her favorite chair.
:angrycat:

However, she did get up on the the edge of the bath tub last Sunday nite. It took a couple tries but she was so proud of herself! Me too, but I don't think she's supposed to be so active right now . . . idk

Plan on talking with her vet tomorrow and I'll let you know what's up.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love that facial expression! Both Pitter and Patter seem to come from "tough stock"! Considering all that their kitty forebears must have endured to get to this continent, it isn't surprising. Thank you for the picture and we will be looking forward to hearing what the vet says.

P+P's Meom

Adult Cat
Purraise
Sooper-Dooper Good News! :yess:

Today, I talked with the Animal Hospital where Patter's ultrasound will be done. They told me the actual cost of the whole thing and it's waaaay less than what we had guess-timated. $400 LESS!
:oops:

Holy Bast! That means we're halfway to our goal!
Also great, is that the vet who did Pitter's abdominal ultrasound, just over 2 years ago, is still there. She will be taking care of Patter. I like this vet alot!
(Pitter is Patter's litter-mate big brother.)

And, I talked with our regular vet today. Told him Patter is doing great. (Except she's frustrated that she can't jump up on stuff.)

Also, told him that fundraising is going great, that we're halfway there already, so we'll be able to get
the ultrasound very soon. I asked if he'd be willing to start her on meds before that?

So tomorrow, she starts on Clopidogrel (Plavix) to reduce the chance of forming new blood clots.
I was hoping he'd start her on an anti-coagulant to break up the clot as well . . .
:dunno:

The ultrasound is still an urgent need! They need to see just exactly what's up with her heart to make sure she's on the appropriate medication. But I think things are moving along pretty good.
*knock wood*

:sleepycat:

Pitter (l) and Patter (r)
There's over 25# of felines in this 15" diameter nest

20211230_215926.jpg

P+P's Meom

Adult Cat
Purraise
Even MORE Great News :
We have met our goal of $600!
:yess: :yess: :yess:

Someone reached out to me this afternoon and has offered to pick up the remaining cost of Patter's ultrasound!

I'm still crying tears of relief and joy. Then I giggle for a while. Then I get scared I'm just dreaming and pinch myself . . .

Did I mention that I can't stop shaking‽

I haven't made her appointment yet. We have a major snow storm headed our way and the highway will be iffy. Hopefully the roads will be good later this week.

Whether you sent good vibes, love, kitty rubs, or a monetary donation - I can never thank you enough for caring about my Little Girl!

All of you just blow me away!

Much love from Patter,
her big brother Pitter,
and Me!

Screenshot_20220104-204748_Gallery.jpg

P+P's Meom

Adult Cat
Purraise
:redheartpump: Thank you strider rose strider rose + Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 :redheartpump:

Patter's appointment for the ultrasound is January 19.
It feels horribly far away, but that's the soonest opening available. :dunno:

I HATE WAITING FOR TESTS!!

But the good news is that I will know the results right away. Also that I have enough to pay for it and we have a ride there/back.

:bliss:

P+P's Meom

Adult Cat
Purraise
As if I could actually not talk about my little girl‽:flail:

Never fear! I will definitely be updating! :geekcat:
(Trying to figure out if I should make a new thread since the Go-Fund-Me is over‽ I think I will . . .)

P+P's Meom P+P's Meom please keep up updated on how she is doing, ok?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We'll hold you to that! Waiting is the worst. At some point you think, I could tolerate hearing anything better than this not knowing!

P+P's Meom

Adult Cat
Purraise
Dammit. Thought I posted this 2 nights ago! I've got either a cold or omicron. I don't feel that bad but my brain is way too scrambled. :rolleyes:

I'm just trying to be calm . . . and brave.
If I get all crazy, Patter and Pitter will too, which will stress me out even more and all 3 of us will just be
:gaah: :runaround: :gaah:
That wouldn't do any of us any good - especially not Patter.

She's been frustrated that she can't jump, and we've missed snuggling at night, so I built "steps" out of boxes so that she can get in/out of the bed by herself. Holy Bast, she was so happy!
:lovecat:
She's not worried, just mad when her legs won't do what she wants them to.

We'll hold you to that! Waiting is the worst. At some point you think, I could tolerate hearing anything better than this not knowing!

P+P's Meom

Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so mad. I got sick 5 days before vax #2.

Started the night of the 6th with just stuffed up sinuses + headache and generally feeling tired + crappy. Runny nose unstuffed me + helped headache. I feel great when I first get up, but 2-3 hours and I'm just wiped out. Started coughing a bit today but taking herb stuff and that keeps it productive and then stops it. I'm just tired + cruddy. No fever. No aches + pains. (Tho Pitter is being a pain . . .)

How long does this crap last? Scared I won't be ok by Patter's appt. But at least I didn't get the original strain . . .

P+P's Meom P+P's Meom What are your symptoms? I am getting over it (I got boosted 3 days before I got sick) and I am dealing with confusion and forgetfulness, even as my other symptoms are improving.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your Day 0 is counted on the day that you began having symptoms, which would be the 6th. So, with good herbs and prayers, you should be fine by the 16th. I had to add Mucinex (guaifenesen) to my regimen although marshmallow root & slippery elm helped my breathing.

P+P's Meom

Adult Cat
Purraise
I used guaifenesen for years + years and then I discovered Mullein tincture a while back. I have COPD and it's worked wonders for me! Makes coughs productive instead of just dry hacking. It's just about freakin' instantaneous!

I'm stocked up on it and also Mullein leaf capsules. :redheartpump: