Pate Vs Chunks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HiddenFlame

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The thing is. That $10 at the donation place gives me like 45, 6oz cans. But it's normally Pate and that rock stuff I mentioned before.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Quick question. What would you do if something happened? To you or your cat. If you ended up sick would you have anyone to care for the cat? The flu is bad this season you could end up in the hospital and would you have the money for a cat sitter? Hopefully you know someone who would watch your cat for free. And if something happens to the cat? Assessed tooth, a cold that needed vet attention, fleas, etc anything that would call for some money to be spent. Do you have an emergency fund? I don’t think a lot of people put thought into getting an animal these days. They are basically children. Could you care for a child properly with 10$ a month? Most likely not. 10$ is reallllyyy cutting it close. Painfully close. And for food your cat won’t even eat. Are you a senior or disabled? Is there a way you can get another job? Even ubering people around in any free time you have could put more money in your pocket. 10$ a month isn’t going to feed anything properly. I couldn’t feed by boa on 10$ a month and she only eats two rats a month. If you have a cat with a co diction you can’t afford to treat properly maybe it’s best you didn’t have a cat. My grandmother is disabled, retired, and livings on social security. She has quite a few cats. And everything was fine. Until she ended up in the hospital for a month with pnomonia. The cats all went to the humane society. They were sick, they weren’t eating proper food or enough food in general (she went to these places for free or reduced food too) and flea infested. It got out of control because my grandmother just couldn’t afford to do anything for any of them because her bills were too much. Cats are expensive. Emergencies happen sooner or later. Just think about it. If all you can afford is food your cat refuses to eat there’s not much advise we can give you at that point. Other than add water, chicken broth etc to it. :(

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well normally, I have about 50 bucks a month left after bills.an I normally put about 30 of that on Koda. From litter(15) to treats (5) leave about 10 bucks left. Thanks other 20 is to last me 2 weeks for emergency
Is there a cheaper litter available? Does this donation place supply litter? I still don't know where you are located but I know here, I could get a store brand of litter for $5-6 a month. It may not have the best odor control but if you have to choose between your cat actually eating or a bit of odor, I'd put the extra $ toward food.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a cheaper litter available? Does this donation place supply litter? I still don't know where you are located but I know here, I could get a store brand of litter for $5-6 a month. It may not have the best odor control but if you have to choose between your cat actually eating or a bit of odor, I'd put the extra $ toward food.
Yes, I wondered about the litter, too, since prices vary a lot.

As for the food. It sounds like for $10 you're probably getting enough food to feed Koda, but it's not usually food she likes, is that right, HiddenFlame HiddenFlame ? Is there anything that you've fed her that she actually likes? (I know that's a dangerous question to ask about a picky cat...) I'm asking because sometimes knowing what brand or type of food worked can help give ideas on something else a cat might eat.

Someone mentioned store brand foods from Tractor Supply: they generally seem to be popular and their prices are relatively low. Do you live near a Petsmart? They have a store brand that's not too expensive. I'd watch the ingredients carefully, though, if Koda was having digestive problems from dry food: anything carby like potato or wheat gluten might be causing her to get sick. Grocery store brands might be another option, though again, I'd try to stay away form potato, wheat gluten, or corn, in case that's what was bothering her in the dry food.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you have access to eggs, you could use hardboiled or cooked eggs (both white and yolk) as a supplement.
By the way, as you guessed I'm sure, many many cats here complain about their food AND yell at us even if the yelling doesn't have anything to do the food - it's a thing :) but seriously, regarding her complaints, you could also check her ribs. If you can feel them without much pressure, but not be able to see them you're ok and she's weighing about what she should be. Do that every now and then just to keep up with what's happening with her.

HiddenFlame

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well my roommate said she would take her should anything happen. And she's fine with weight. She just seems to be a loner and wants to e left alone.

Also. I save enough on little an even take some out of my budget to get her litter. And if I have to crunch numbers for cash. She eats before me.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wanting to be left alone is typically a sign of illness, especially if she’s a kitten.

HiddenFlame

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She isn't I'll. Just dose like to be held or touched if she doesn't want to be. And sh is 6

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully the suggestions of possible other food, and broth, eggs, tuna juice, homemade Pedialyte and mixing shreds into that pate help you. Hang in there!