Patches Is Gone

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just got back from sending Patches to the Bridge.

He has battled IBD most of his life, starting when he was only 18 months old. I finally found a good vet 8 years ago and he has had 8 good years. He started going downhill early last year and got sick again the beginning of the year. He had been so brave with the tests and the hospitalizations.

He had been rejected by his mother when he was only about two weeks old and he had that special bond with people that cats have when that happens. I only heard him hiss twice. Of course I am sad but also a bit relieved, I think the relief comes from knowing for a few days now that it was time.
20150614_182515(1).jpg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Patches, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

Your care for him kept him in this world, and your care for him allowed him to go when his life was no longer a joy to him. There is no higher love, no more selfless love than that. And I know, beyond knowing, that it was, and still is, returned full measure.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry for your loss, you gave him a great life here, thank you for doing that, and he is fine now, no more pain, just fine, and waiting to see you again someday down the line and it will be so sweet.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I hope your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless......:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this denice denice

What a beautiful cat he was! I have a soft spot for big tabbies and Patches had such a sweet face.

He was lucky to have a long, healthy life with you. You took great care of him, you can see from the picture how much he was loved.

Rest In Peace Patches.

:catlove:

cataan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats, also named Patches, has been diagnosed with either irritable bowel syndrome or inflammatory bowel disease -- the vets are not sure exactly what he has, but unless he is on anti-inflammatory meds he gets diarrhea, often a clear, gelatinous liquid. An ultrasound showed he has slightly enlarged lymph nodes by his liver, but a cytology test didn't indicate cancer, and his intestines appeared normal via the ultrasound. May I ask how your vet treated your Patches, was there a particular medication or diet that helped?

Apologies if too soon to ask -- I found it... odd... that we both have a Patches with an intestinal problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my cats, also named Patches, has been diagnosed with either irritable bowel syndrome or inflammatory bowel disease -- the vets are not sure exactly what he has, but unless he is on anti-inflammatory meds he gets diarrhea, often a clear, gelatinous liquid. An ultrasound showed he has slightly enlarged lymph nodes by his liver, but a cytology test didn't indicate cancer, and his intestines appeared normal via the ultrasound. May I ask how your vet treated your Patches, was there a particular medication or diet that helped?

Apologies if too soon to ask -- I found it... odd... that we both have a Patches with an intestinal problem.
He was taking 5 mg prednisolone daily. When he first went on it he was taking 10 mg and when he was healthy he was weaned down. We tried 2 1/2 mg but he started loosing weight so we went back to 5 and he stayed on that. I tried diet changes but it didn't help, sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Denice, I'm so sorry for the pain you are having, there is no way to ever prepare the heart for the loss of a beautiful soul like Patches. I know what you mean about the relief you feel knowing the pain, the suffering is over. It is so hard to watch them near the end, the struggle, the beautiful eyes searching our own for answers.....
Somehow you found the strength to bring peace to that wonderful boy, a strength born of love. I'm so very sure he is at peace now, he leaves with a thankfulness for sharing your life, for receiving your love and the wonderful care and home you provided in his lifetime. He gave you his heart, and the happiness that he brought you is immeasurable. He goes with the knowledge he will forever hold a secure place in a heart that will never quit loving him, enfolded in your love for eternity.
Know he would never want to bring sadness into your life, he loves you too much for that. As you would want for him if you were the first to go, go on into the future seeking sunshine and happiness once more. It is as he would want and you know that in your heart. The bond you share will forever be near. Use it and your precious memories of happier times to bring you comfort, celebrate that he chose you to give his heart to, he walked along beside you for so many years on your own journey through life.
You will feel adrift in these coming months of grieving. The routines, the medications, the concern and worry always present in the back of your mind are absent now and leave a hole of helplessness and despair that is hard to fill. Fill it with concentrating on putting your world back together. Try not to dwell on those last days, but on that he is perfectly well once more, that his tiny spirit is free to surround you and love you for the rest of your life, and that he will continue to let his love shine down on you from the new star that was formed by his love in that bright winter sky. Take care of yourself and know there are many here who are your friends and will keep you in their thoughts and prayers..........RIP precious Patches. You will be missed so very dearly, but will be tenderly held for eternity in the heart that loves you so much. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again. Good night, sleep tight, little prince!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My deepest and heartfelt sympathies go out to you. :hugs: It's difficult to know when is the right time but helping ease his pain is the best gift you can give him. Patches is running pain free at the Bridge. RIP sweet angel.:angel:

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Obviously, you loved each other in a deep, feline way.

Be this warmness of love healing you!

Not many cats has this chance of having a careful guardian and not many humans have the chance of living 8 years with a cat.

Head bow and smiles to memories!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, Denice, I'm so sorry :hugs:. You gave him a great life, and then the greatest give you could, you freed him from his pain and suffering. What more could a cat ask for?

Run free at the bridge, :rbheart: Patches :rbheart:

SnugglesAnn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Device,

I came to read your story of Patches after your kinds words to me on the loss of my furbaby. And, oh, he is handsome! It is a sense of relief mixed with sadness. We try so hard and I think they keep trying for us until they finally have to put their foot down, or paw, and let us know it's time. Had Snuggles tried to at least attempt to eat a decent meal I probably would have kept on trying to find ways to keep her with me. You were a wonderful mom to him and he had a good life because of you. You know the emptiness I am feeling and now I know yours. We will share this pain of losing them together. And the joy of knowing they are free to eat, play, and do whatever they want now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I am still sad but I know I will be for awhile. I get his ashes back Saturday morning. I didn't realize that they deliver them, I thought I would have to pick them up. I spent two days playing phone tag with them and I was starting to get frustrated. I didn't realize that they brought them to people. The man that I was playing phone tag with is the man that does the deliveries. We have snow on the roads now so he is trying to avoid rush hour and I work all this week so he will be here between 9:30 and 11:30 Saturday morning.