Patch

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yesterday at 4 am my husband got me out of bed because Patch(16) was acting really weird. When I got to her, she was splayed out, drooling and desoriented. She had a slight head tilt and was walking in circles with a very unsteady walk.
My thoughts were a stroke and we would monitor her, I looked up stroke, talked to my vet and it was plausible.

Then around 4 in the afternoon my husband called me 'it's patch!' and I rushed to her to find her seizing violently, drooling and crying out with guttural meow. So over a short time span, she suddenly had seizures, which she never had before. I called the vet and they told me to come in

I loaded her up and she was different, I could pick her up without protest and she was quite happily vibing in the carrier. The sun was shining, I had the top open, stroked her and she was soaking up the sun.
At the vet she seized again(this was within 2 hours of the last one) and they asked me, what do you want to do?

I have known Patch her entire life, I watched her being born. Considering her character and the fact she's led such a full life, never known hunger, no strife I didn't think it was fair to put her through tests and trying to find out why she was seizing.

I hugged her as she fell asleep on my arm and she crossed within seconds, she was ready. So besides watching her be born I also watched her leave.

Am I sad she's gone? Yes partly but I am also at peace. I didn't let her suffer, she was old and has only known love. It's ok.

Peaches (22).jpg
Patch (2).JPG
Patch (12).jpg
Patch (17).jpg
Patch (44).JPG
Patch (56).jpg

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Patch, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

What a lucky lady Patch was, and is, and always will be. She knew nothing but your love, "from cradle to grave." She lived, breathed and had her being wrapped in that love. And that love walked beside her as she took her first steps through the Gate between This Adventure and her Next Great Adventure. Now, from her home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, she blesses you for that love, and she sends her own love, translated and purified into Love, back to walk with you down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She will be forever at peace because she carries your love in her heart. That love will connect you always, she will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers.....
I agree, she was obviously experiencing the end of life, something that none of us will escape. Go forward into the future and seek more love and its beauty, just as you would want for her if you were the first to go. It is what she wants from you, the one who loved her so very much. she is so fortunate to have you and her family from the beginning to the end. It is all she ever wanted, you were her all.
My heart goes out to you, I know how empty your house will be in the coming days. Eventually, that hole will be filled with happy memories, they will bring you comfort instead of pain in the years to come. For now, just take time to heal your broken heart, be kind to yourself. One day at a time.......RIP dear Patch. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. Even though it was an 'easy' decision, I still find my self trying to fill the bowl or to check on her. She had her basket on the landing next to the railing and she was such a deep sleeper, also deaf, we would go up and say: 'you still alive?' and look for breathing.
Yesterday I saw her lying there from the corner of my eye, but ofcourse there was nothing.

Since about 6 months she had also started pooping out of the litterbox(we put down a very big low one, but she still did it) and I'm still checking the floor for a big turd..we have had our accidents with smearing it all over the landing...joyous.

The other cats are still wary of the landing as Patch was a bit of a bully and she would terrorize the others now and again with big bushy tail and she had a big frame..and fat. But they're slowly claiming it back.