Pasty/mucusy substance in litter box

catsandmusic70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I am wondering if anyone can tell me what this might be in my cat’s litter. Henry hasn’t gone #1 all day and so I was very relieved when he went to his litter box tonight. He’s shy about going with anyone in the room with him so I waited to check his box until after he finished, only to find a pasty substance (pictured) I have never seen before. I’m very concerned.
454B3944-12C7-4BFC-BEF7-A539FDD76240.jpeg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do not believe in messing around with intestinal mucus. While a tiny bit can be normal, not this amount. It justifies a call to the vet. Ask if you can send the picture before deciding if you need to bring him in right away, but I imagine your vet is going to want to see him. And please let us know how he is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsandmusic70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! I was able to get same day appointment with vet, but they would not let me wait there so I’m at home worrying a lot! I always stay at the vet until they bring Henry back out, but they wouldn’t let me do that today because they are so busy. I’ll keep you posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsandmusic70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Henry is still at the vet. When I spoke with a vet tech a little bit ago, they told me Henry’s bladder is small so that probably means no blockage. But they can’t get a urine sample from him and may keep him overnight if he doesn’t produce one today. I’ve never been apart from him longer than an 8 hour work day, especially the past year and a half, so I’m experiencing separation anxiety in addition to intense worry.

Is it normal for them to keep him overnight? Is there a way they could be inducing him to urinate? I’m starting to get concerned why he’s been there so long. Did I do the right thing taking him in? Will he think I abandoned him?

I am so sorry to go on, but all I can think about is Henry and how he is. He’s a darling boy, just as so many fur babies are.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, they can't get the sample until a sample is there to get! I know how you feel, though. Hek had to stay at the vet overnight following her spay (slow shaking off anesthesia, and they didn't want her loose, staggering around), and again overnight when she had pancreatitis. I was frantic, both times. He'll be doing better than you are, most likely.