Partially raw

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I want to transition my IBD kitty from canned RX junk food to homemade. I’m not too keen on total raw but want to surface cook to kill off surface bacteria.
How do you surface cook. For organs, I’m planning to cook thoroughly.
I used to 💯 raw but want to be more careful with bacteria and virus in meat.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My research into feeding raw, revealed that freezing the meat for at least (if I recall) 72 hrs will kill bacteria harmful to cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think only high heat kills bacteria and virus. freezing the meat for 3 weeks kills off toxoplasmosis. Commercial raw food is notorious for Salmonella. Commercial raw is shipped to stores frozen. So, I don't think cold temp kills off bacteria

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Let me get this straight: You have to freeze the meat to kill toxoplasmosis, but have to cook it to kill bacteria? It looks like a case of you have to pick your poisons unless I am missing something.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For pork, freezing kills off parasites. Cat info, fr pierson does surface bake to kill off bacteria.

Anchoress

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thought critters can more than cope with elements in raw meat that we cannot? As they would in the wild. I feed raw chicken almost every day and as it is. Never a problem.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thought critters can more than cope with elements in raw meat that we cannot? As they would in the wild. I feed raw chicken almost every day and as it is. Never a problem.
This is true, but IBD cats can have problems with bacteria if they're still experiencing severe symptoms. Think of it like someone being immune-compromised, they cannot afford to be exposed to the same pathogens that a completely healthy person may not even get ill from.

Anchoress

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ah thanks. I am blessed with healthy cats and none of us eat red meat. And they share my chicken but raw. Chicken and tinned food. No great access to shops etc and living simply. Of course it is all different if your cats are not well..