partial diapering for bowel incontinence?

kudzu kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Following a cancer surgery a few weeks ago, my older cat has what is probably permanent nerve damage to his anal sphincter, and can't hold poop in anymore. The couple times a day when he produces a bunch of poop at once, he also doesn't seem to realize that's about to happen. And then (of course) he wants to clean himself after, and I need to keep his tongue away from most of the area because he'll irritate or even injure tissue that is exposed now but was not designed to be licked.

It's possible but unlikely to improve, so I've been trying to research options for how to manage it, but I probably can't test much for another couple weeks while I wait for him to finish healing and regain strength from the surgery.

I want to diaper him as little as possible, but also he's still got full urinary control and wants to pee in the box, so I don't want to put him in anything that gets in the way of that. It seems like all the cat diapering resources I've found (lots of stuff from caretakers of paralyzed cats or about tail-pull injuries) assume urinary incontinence as well.

I think, once he's healed, I may be able to keep him in a light harness most of the time and anchor something to that, along his back and around his tail and/or legs. Thoughts? Links?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, Welcome!!

You have him in a cone, or medical cat collar, at the present moment?

I like your idea, actually.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kudzu kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, he's been in a cone almost full time since surgery, unless I'm sitting with him. He manages it pretty well, and I think we could do it long-term to permanently if we had to, to manage the licking.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It seems that in the world of incontinence for four legged pets that there are two products: belly bands and full diapers. Neither is exactly what you want as the belly band is only for urinary incontinence and the full diaper does assume that the pet cannot hold urine either. Most articles deal with causes and suggestions for medical treatment; low fiber diets is one of the few non medical suggestions out there. You may have to design something for him as you suggest.

Is the vet sure that this is probably permanent? Any hope it is not?

Are his stool formed or are you facing diarrhea randomly around the house? Does he sit in a certain place; i.e., would he possibly be sitting on a pee pad and have the bowel movement there.

Bowel Management for Incontinent and Constipated Pets.
This goes in an entirely different direction, but is about learning to stimulate a bowel movement so that it is scheduled when you are best able to deal with it. This is not necessarily for constipated pets, but for those who have lost control of their bowel movements and pass feces randomly.

You have said that your cat had cancer surgery, so there are incisions and other issues to deal with, so don't even consider this without asking your vet if it would in any way be helpful and if it would be safe to ever use with your cat. I did this with a dog with neurological damage, but a cat may be less receptive to the idea. Another point to consider.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kudzu kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, that's what I've been finding on existing diapers, as well. Thanks!

His surgery was three weeks ago, and he's restricted from full movement for at least another three weeks, so he's currently confined to one room, and a large crate overnight. If this continues permanently, (and we can firm his stool up a bit more, but that's an ongoing discussion I'm having with the vet) I think he's mostly going to be pooping in his sleep, but the grooming risk is almost full time. It may well be that the right solution is a cone for him and an abundance of cleaning products for me. I'm trying to get a sense of his bowel movement timing relative to big meals, but it's been a pretty wide window so far.

We're still well within the range of maybe he'll have semi-miraculous nerve recovery, but at the end of the timeframe where it could have been caused just by inflammation from the surgery. The surgeon thinks it's unlikely to improve, but still possible.

I'm way less concerned about poop around the house than I am about Sammy injuring his rectum trying to groom feces off. My other cat, bless his heart, gets diarrhea and poops in any available corner for a day and a half if he so much as looks at a bread crumb, an insect, or a blade of grass.