Part-time Raw! LOL! AKA eating canned and adding raw

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pioneers :flail: I feel like I am inside of a carriage headed to California full speed in the middle of the Gold Rush days :flail:

Congrats on all canned..................... arriba raw! :hyper:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just wanted to pop in really quick and say we are on 100% canned now!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
  I finished up the last bag of Simply Nourish dry food about two weeks ago, intending to buy more as always and just... didn't!  
  I haven't noticed any real changes, but they were more than half canned anyway.  They are still eating mostly Sophistacat (now called Great Choice) but 1 meal per day is high-end grain free like Wellness Core.  (Sophistacat's label doesn't say grain free but there are no grain sources listed in the ingredients, so no corn or rice or wheat - but, it is primarily by-product based so not the best protein in the world.)  

As finances ease up I want to up that good quality grain-free to all meals, adding probiotics/enzymes along the way, then probably just drop "cold turkey" frankenprey on them by summer!  LOL!  ("Cold turkey" is such an interesting phrase to use in relation to raw feeding haha!  My kitties would say, better NOT be COLD turkey!!! 
)  As far as frankenprey goes I plan to set up a rotation pretty closely based on Laurie's 
 All you raw pioneers are making this so easy for us stragglers!  WE LOVE YOU!!!!  

So, have you at least noticed they are drinking less water?  I've noticed a huge difference here, since they converted from dry to canned.  I used to have to fill up the reservoir on their fountain at least every 4 - 5 days, and not after a week it's still 1/3 full!  'Course, I put mine on grain free canned for all meals, to get them more used to what raw would be like.  Maybe that's why

As far as moving them to Frankenprey "cold turkey", hopefully they'll take to it immediately!  That would be wonderful.  Your babies are pretty young, right?  Should be easier

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

So, have you at least noticed they are drinking less water?  I've noticed a huge difference here, since they converted from dry to canned.  I used to have to fill up the reservoir on their fountain at least every 4 - 5 days, and not after a week it's still 1/3 full!  'Course, I put mine on grain free canned for all meals, to get them more used to what raw would be like.  Maybe that's why

As far as moving them to Frankenprey "cold turkey", hopefully they'll take to it immediately!  That would be wonderful.  Your babies are pretty young, right?  Should be easier
It's funny - I hadn't checked the site all day and at our late-night meal I was thinking I needed to come write here that they are drinking WAY less!  I don't have a fountain, but I fill their bowls each night.  Usually they are more than half gone or even all the way gone (like some left in the bottom, not totally empty) sometimes, and now they are all still 3/4 full or more.  It's really something!!!!  It's amazing how you can "know" something - cats need water with their food as they will not drink enough on their own to be properly hydrated - but to SEE the difference now that they are on all canned, to know FOR SURE that they are getting more moisture with the wet food than with dry food + wet food + water bowls... it really lights a fire under your butt!  

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's funny - I hadn't checked the site all day and at our late-night meal I was thinking I needed to come write here that they are drinking WAY less!  I don't have a fountain, but I fill their bowls each night.  Usually they are more than half gone or even all the way gone (like some left in the bottom, not totally empty) sometimes, and now they are all still 3/4 full or more.  It's really something!!!!  It's amazing how you can "know" something - cats need water with their food as they will not drink enough on their own to be properly hydrated - but to SEE the difference now that they are on all canned, to know FOR SURE that they are getting more moisture with the wet food than with dry food + wet food + water bowls... it really lights a fire under your butt!  
Yep.... mine drink NO water - none! That was weird when it started..... Especially because Bugsy pees and pees!
the only one who drank water was Lucky when she was on kibbles.... When she relapsed and had to go back on kibbles for a couple of weeks, that was the first thing that happened (and her gigantic poops too :lol3:) - it was just SO sad to see her drinking water :(... Not because water is bad.... But because I knew she was thirsty - while when she was on raw, she was completely satisfied :nod: Thank Goodness she is on raw again, and again, not drinking anymore - yey!! :clap::clap::clap:
It is funny to see the theory in action, isn't it? :wavey:

Last edited:

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other thing is that they are ALWAYS hungry... 
 as a meowmy it's so frustrating to hear them crying for food whenever I walk to the kitchen... or by the kitchen... or in the general direction of the kitchen... or thinking about going to the kitchen....  It used to just be Garfunkel but now it's everybody.  They are each eating 5.5oz of food per day, one can split between the three of them 3x per day.  Is this not enough?????  Joni's 9 pounds and the boys were 12 lbs in Jan, prob closer to 13 at this point.  2% of 12 lbs is 3.84 oz and 3% of 12 lbs is 5.76 oz, so I'm confused if they are eating 5.5oz why this is not a good amount for them.  

I am thinking I was way overfeeding them on dry.  I never measured it, just put down what filled their bowls.

I am going to take Willowy's suggestion and start offering them some raw chunks every day - just with one meal so they don't become unbalanced.  Or maybe as a snack would be better?  They eat at 7:30am, anywhere from 5:30-7:30pm, and between 11pm-midnight.  If a snack, where would I put it?  I am hoping that maybe this will help fill them up?  I give them the high quality grain-free at breakfast as they have the longest stretch after that meal - up to 12 hours - so my theory (or hope) is that the better protein has more staying power to keep them satisfied longer.  Maybe I could give the raw chunks then too?  Or maybe at night because of the lower quality food, to help it last longer?  Any ideas LOL

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other thing is that they are ALWAYS hungry... :alright:  as a meowmy it's so frustrating to hear them crying for food whenever I walk to the kitchen... or by the kitchen... or in the general direction of the kitchen... or thinking about going to the kitchen....  It used to just be Garfunkel but now it's everybody.  They are each eating 5.5oz of food per day, one can split between the three of them 3x per day.  Is this not enough?????  Joni's 9 pounds and the boys were 12 lbs in Jan, prob closer to 13 at this point.  2% of 12 lbs is 3.84 oz and 3% of 12 lbs is 5.76 oz, so I'm confused if they are eating 5.5oz why this is not a good amount for them.  Ok.... Keep in mind that this rule is for raw - not for canned.... Raw is more nutrition packed than canned, so you generally feed less. It is richer too, so it is more satisfying... If you are feeding canned, I would suggest you feed the amount suggested on the label, rather than percentage, or go by calorie - 20-25 calories/lb of weight.
With that stated.... Bugsy weighs 20lbs 4oz..... and is eating 5.4oz a day - that is way below the 2% guideline.... if he eats ANYTHING more than that, he will gain weight. He needs to lose weight, and this is the QTY per meal that works for him. Hope, who is 13lbs 3.5oz, eats 4.8oz a day - again, more than that and she will gain weight. That is 2.26%
There is a reason why they go to the kitchen: now you have timed meals..... and there is where the meals come from.... naturally, they know where to go :nod: Mine follow me every time I go to the kitchen - it doesn't mean they are hungry :nod: It just means they know I make food in there..... Call that wishful thinking - get used to it - that comes with feeding raw too.... you will never prepare meals alone again :lol3:
Hungry? Lucky will flat out jump on bed, wake me up and raise hell :lol3: Bugsy will eat plastic - trash bags, will jump on my desk and look for plastic - the boy is a mess :lol3: That only happens right before feeding times though..... He makes sure to get his point across.... LOUD and CLEAR :lol3:

I am thinking I was way overfeeding them on dry.  I never measured it, just put down what filled their bowls.

I am going to take Willowy's suggestion and start offering them some raw chunks every day - just with one meal so they don't become unbalanced.  Or maybe as a snack would be better?  They eat at 7:30am, anywhere from 5:30-7:30pm, and between 11pm-midnight.  If a snack, where would I put it?  I am hoping that maybe this will help fill them up?  I give them the high quality grain-free at breakfast as they have the longest stretch after that meal - up to 12 hours - so my theory (or hope) is that the better protein has more staying power to keep them satisfied longer.  Maybe I could give the raw chunks then too?  Or maybe at night because of the lower quality food, to help it last longer?  Any ideas LOL
There is a very long stretch going on there.... Anyway you could make that less? It seems they are going almost 12 hours without food at times, and that is too much.... What time is the latest in the am you can feed them, and the earliest in the pm? If adding a snack, and if someone is available to do that, I would most definitely fit in that long stretch - right in the middle of it.... You will prevent over-acid production. Schedule feedings with long stretches in between like that can become problematic as the kitty starts producing too much acid - you can start getting vomiting.... Not good.... Meat is definitely quite filling, and IMHO the more the merrier! My crew is liking chunks better, and pretty much rejecting ground..... it is better for their teeth and jaws too - plus cheaper, which is truly awesome! It can actually end up being cheaper than all canned, which.... well... works out to be a good deal :clap::clap::clap: So... do you intend to do a full switch, since they like it so much? Or you are going to be on canned/raw for now? What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Carolina!  You are right about the percentages... I don't know why I was thinking that.  I will recalculate based on calories later today and see what they should be eating.

There isn't really a way for me to limit that long stretch - 7:30am is the absolute latest I can feed them, and I need to walk out the door IMMEDIATELY after that in order to get to work on time.  Then the earliest I leave work is 5, getting home at 5:30, but I also sometimes have to pick up my niece & nephew and take them to my parents' house and feed them, getting home between 7-7:30.  I'm not sure how I can get around that.  My mom works from home so maybe she could come by in the afternoons and give them a snack?  But sometimes she has to go to the office, or she may not even want to do that.  
  This has definitely been a factor in my decision to go raw.

But - despite that - to answer your other question, I do plan to go 100% raw! 
 I know it will definitely be cheaper than all canned.  It's just a matter of working out the logistics and getting started on a rotation!  I plan to do something pretty closely aligned with Laurie's rotation - just not sure when I can start.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh you will SO see the difference between raw and canned in turns of that hunger thing. :nod: On canned, my cats were driving me nuts at night. Flowerbelle would wake me up, chewing my hair, pulling my hair - I had scabs on my head from Shel when I'd forget to clip his claws. :lol3: On raw - no one bothers me! But like Carolina says... prepare anything that requires the refrigerator to be opened, and you'll have an audience. :flail: Shen will actually howl at me - and that, right after eating almost 2 ounces of his meal (because I fix theirs before I fix ours). :lol3: He is definitely NOT hungry - just hoping. :lol3:

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a video I took a few minutes ago feeding the kids chicken breast.  This was after their canned meal.  They each got one long strip and one big chunk - you can see how big I cut them in the video and how much work it took for them to eat it!  These were also pretty chilly and they didn't mind the temperature, either.  Funny!  Anyway, sorry for the camera work - fingers over lenses, had to put the camera down for a few seconds at the beginning.  But I hope you enjoy watching my babies chowing down!

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carolina - Laurie - If I bought a timed feeder like this one (google link) and used freeze-dried raw products in there while I was gone during the day, would that be an acceptable snack to help ward off overproduction of acid and thus vomiting?  There are only 2 compartments but if I put enough in there, each kitten would at least get some.  I could have it go off at 2pm?  What do you think?
Look at them go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They're pretty awesome, huh?  Joni is knee-slappingly hilarious.

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carolina - Laurie - If I bought a timed feeder like this one (google link) and used freeze-dried raw products in there while I was gone during the day, would that be an acceptable snack to help ward off overproduction of acid and thus vomiting?  There are only 2 compartments but if I put enough in there, each kitten would at least get some.  I could have it go off at 2pm?  What do you think?
I think it is perfect!!! I have one of those too.... and freeze dry treats are great!
Train them to not be afraid of it though, as the feeder does have a somewhat loud click when the door opens....
Excellent solution!! :clap::clap::clap:

carmina piranha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your kitties are adorable! But I have to say, if it takes them that long to eat their chicken, they're probably getting plenty to eat!
One of our 8-month-old "kittens" would have had those filets gone in 15 seconds! Seriously.
We usually make "snakes," but I left a few big pieces like you use. I was curious about how the kitty would do with the big piece, but because I turned away just long enough to give food to the grownup cat, I didn't even get to see the kitten eat it. Did he swallow it whole? I dunno!

When we started on raw, we could not find any info on how much to feed kittens, other than "as much as they want," or "at the high end of the calorie range for adults." Just like with you with your canned food, every time we went near the kitchen they were begging for food. Those piggies were getting 8-12 ounces of raw a day, and rolling themselves into the kitchen in order to beg for more.  They all got fat, 
  and now are getting under 5 ounces each, and maintaining their weight. (I don't want to increase their food until I see their fat bellies go away.) So, pay no attention to the little liars! :)

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your kitties are adorable! But I have to say, if it takes them that long to eat their chicken, they're probably getting plenty to eat!
One of our 8-month-old "kittens" would have had those filets gone in 15 seconds! Seriously.
We usually make "snakes," but I left a few big pieces like you use. I was curious about how the kitty would do with the big piece, but because I turned away just long enough to give food to the grownup cat, I didn't even get to see the kitten eat it. Did he swallow it whole? I dunno!

When we started on raw, we could not find any info on how much to feed kittens, other than "as much as they want," or "at the high end of the calorie range for adults." Just like with you with your canned food, every time we went near the kitchen they were begging for food. Those piggies were getting 8-12 ounces of raw a day, and rolling themselves into the kitchen in order to beg for more.  They all got fat, 
  and now are getting under 5 ounces each, and maintaining their weight. (I don't want to increase their food until I see their fat bellies go away.) So, pay no attention to the little liars! :)
  Thanks for the funny post!  "Rolling themselves into the kitchen" - literal LOL

This was right after - as in a couple minutes after - their canned meal.  So yeah, I guess it did take them a bit to finish as they were not ravenous.  This was only their second time eating the raw chicken, too, so that could account for it as well.

Oh, I do NOT feed the piggies just because they cry!!!! 
  I guess, even though I feel terrible about their crying, I have an iron will!  Even when I was feeding a mix of dry and wet, they got their food at the scheduled time and not before.  They are all "3"s on the body condition scale - no fatties in my house, now or ever.  (My friend has two female DSHs who are each at least 14-15 lbs and she thinks they're just fine.  She also has a male DSH who is 25 pounds.  He needs to drop at least 10 pounds and her girls need to drop five or six.  So I'm very, very sensitive to my cats' weights which is why I have the no fatties rule - NOT saying anything against you or your kitties!)

carmina piranha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah-ha, your kitties were savoring their dessert!

I agree with you about no fat-cats!  What's the point of choosing a diet that is so healthy (and going to extra trouble to do it), if they'll still have health problems from being overweight?  The problem at my house is that my guy thinks a pudgy cat looks normal, and a skinny cat is unhealthy.  I think he doles out extra food (so I started adding more water when we make food!).  He says that if the food is gone that fast, maybe it's not enough.  I don't think so--those fat bellies are still there!

I found it so hard to ignore the cries for more food when my adult cat ate dry-only.  I would save up more food for overnight so she wouldn't bug me too much, and I'd short her for the times I'd be gone from home!  Now that she's on raw, there's no crying.  Well, one morning she cried, and I thought she was lying--but it turns out that hubs hadn't warmed up the princess' food properly, and she "couldn't" eat it.  It's nice to be free of constant begging for food!  (Although I want her to lose a little more weight, so possibly there will be some crying)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OMG, they love it!  How wonderful.  Love that video.  (where does Joni take her's to eat, I wonder?  )

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with you about no fat-cats!  What's the point of choosing a diet that is so healthy (and going to extra trouble to do it), if they'll still have health problems from being overweight?  The problem at my house is that my guy thinks a pudgy cat looks normal, and a skinny cat is unhealthy.
I totally agree - my friend with the OBVIOUSLY OVERWEIGHT cats thinks my cats are way too skinny (the boys, at one year old, are over 12 pounds - she thinks they're too skinny!).  And I have friends who make comments that "chubby cats are always cuter" which doesn't do anything to help cat parents' self-justification of over-feeding.  Grrr. 
OMG, they love it!  How wonderful.  Love that video.  (where does Joni take her's to eat, I wonder?  )
Thanks!!!!  Joni is so funny when she finds non-canned food to eat (I don't feed from the table but a couple times when I've had guests who had food plates they sat down somewhere, etc. she's gotten meat, bread rolls, etc.) - she sinks her teeth in, hunkers down with her tail swishing, and runs off.  In this example, I think she goes under the table.  I don't think you can hear it in the video, but I heard their pile of tissue paper rustling around - and that's under the dinner table.  My favorite part - and I missed it on camera!! grr!! - is after she leaves when she comes running back in and when she gets to the rug it moves under her feet into the room, haha!

rose2015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all

I feed some commercial raw and premium canned, i'm looking to introduce raw meals about 4-5 times a week and most of the other meals are premium canned (so part time raw, and part time canned. Small amount of kibble if we are away from home for too long in the day).

Is this 'part time' route safe and okay? 

@Willowy  have you had any issues?

It seems that people say it has to be ALL raw or ALL canned, but i'd like to feed a  variety as long as it doesn't mess up her nutrition.

Thoughts?

xo

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We feed a combination of commercial raw food, homemade cooked food, and some canned food -- it works very well for us and the cats.

Since you say you're already feeding commercial raw food, I'm a bit confused about what you intend to introduce, Rose2015: is it homemade raw food four or five times a week? It sounds like you're already feeding a combination of raw and canned so I can't see how introducing more raw food, either commercial or homemade, would be a problem. That said, I don't think I'd want to vary the daily ratio of raw foods to canned foods very much because some cats' digestive systems (and psyches, too!) are sensitive to food changes, but in terms of necessary nutrition, it would be fine as long as all the food you're feeding is complete and balanced.

I mention the psychology of all this because our cats get very upset if I forget to defrost their favorite raw food or didn't have time to make a new batch of homemade food!

rose2015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We feed a combination of commercial raw food, homemade cooked food, and some canned food -- it works very well for us and the cats.

Since you say you're already feeding commercial raw food, I'm a bit confused about what you intend to introduce, Rose2015: is it homemade raw food four or five times a week? It sounds like you're already feeding a combination of raw and canned so I can't see how introducing more raw food, either commercial or homemade, would be a problem. That said, I don't think I'd want to vary the daily ratio of raw foods to canned foods very much because some cats' digestive systems (and psyches, too!) are sensitive to food changes, but in terms of necessary nutrition, it would be fine as long as all the food you're feeding is complete and balanced.

I mention the psychology of all this because our cats get very upset if I forget to defrost their favorite raw food or didn't have time to make a new batch of homemade food!
Thank you so much fo getting back to me. Apologies, I was typing without being too clear :D
Ok, so at the moment, I feed premium canned (the best I can find here, it's called Holistic select). It has some rolled oats in it, but no corn/soy/wheat as the complet grain free version makes my cat constipated. Along with this I feed a small amount of raw every 2nd night, raw meaty bones twice a week and a commercial BARF patty as a meal 1-2 times a a week. I'm looking to ditch the BARF patty (bone content is a little too high and it's only minced, not chunks) and introduce raw chunks of meat muscle/organ with a commercial supplement (called Vets All Natural). Perhaps increasing raw meals to 4-5 times a week. She does get a tiny bit of kibble (7-10g) after her breakfast, only if we are both at work all day.

Do you think having 4-5 raw meals a week, alongside raw meaty bones and premium canned would be safe and keep the vitamins /nutrients balanced?
Not messing up calcium:phosphorus ratios either?

Thanks again and sorry for all my 101 questions :clap: