Part Russian Blue?

Miaxo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hi all. This is ash. He’s 8 months old now and we adopted him from the humane society when he was two months old. Someone brought him in when he was just a few weeks old, all by himself. They literally had him in a corner room in the smallest and most hidden spot so we almost didn’t see him. He is all gray with some really light barely-there stripes on his tail, and yellow green eyes. He loves kids, he allows them to do anything and everything to him, he likes baths (will play in water) and car rides and is like a dog pretty much. He’s a housecat but you can take him anywhere and he’s fine in your lap or just held (I just bought him a harness). He can open doors. He greets you at the door when you come in. He is fine alone and will play by himself but prefers to be around us.

Also he is a bit overweight just because we kept feeding him kitten food without realizing it and he’s past the age for that...

We think he is part Russian blue and was possibly abandoned by a backyard breeder. I don’t know much about cats I’m more of a dog person so i was going to do a dna test to see just out of curiosity because his behavior is so unique to us. What do you guys think he is? Can someone recommend a dna test for him? We love him regardless and he’s the most handsome boy in the world in our eyes.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
He’s very handsome! I would describe him as a blue Domestic Shorthair. You could also call him a Maltese cat. Russian Blues have a more triangular head, a more slender body, and their fur is a more silvery blue color. I think Ash is a closer lookalike to a Korat.

As far as DNA tests go, there are two options that I know of. One is through UC Davis, and the other is through a company called Basepaws.

Cat Ancestry

Cat DNA Test Kit | Find about your pet's genetics | Basepaws

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree with above.

If you want to compare your wonderful cat with an established breed so Korat sooner than RB.

Yeah korat is what the doc prescribed. :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps korats are more stocky than rb. So he isnt a fatty rb, he is just a well to do korat look alike....

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is a very handsome cat! I would describe your cat as a blue domestic shorthair. I don't see either Russian Blue or Korat likeness in your cat.

Since you say you are a dog person, you may not be aware that, unlike dogs, the vast majority of cats are simply domestic cats without any particular breed ancestry. Cat breeding is a relatively recent human hobby, and the number of cats belonging to any breed is very small.

Solid blue is a common color for cats in the United States; there are literally millions of solid blue cats here. The blue color does not indicate any particular breed ancestry.

The Russian Blue breed is very uncommon and the Korat breed is even more rare; only 16 litters of Korats were registered last year in the US. Korat breeders, in my experience, are also very protective of their breed and keep track of where their kittens go.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Miaxo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies! Yeah we were just trying to figure out if he was part something because we have never met a domestic cat like him personality wise and my friend suggested Russian blue. He is more dog than cat. He’s also hypoallergenic-ish I forgot to include that idk if it matters. My family is allergic to cats but not him. he still sheds a little bit during the summer especially but they only get watery eyes at most instead of rashes/coughing/sneezing/etc. not sure how that works but I’m happy about it. He really is the best. :heartshape: Anyways thanks guys!

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Really gorgeous boy. Russian blues and Korats are not that common. Breeds that have been around for over a hundred years and in the days before spaying and nautering were common, are for example, Siamese, Persians, Maine Coons etc.
Your beautiful boys personality seems somewhat like a Siamese or Oriental shorthair.
He dosen't look like one but one never knows what is in the ancestry.