Parsnips

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought some of these at the grocery store. I have only eaten them once. The woman who cooked them passed away. When I asked, her daughter didn't know the recipe. So my question is does anyone have a good recipe for how to cook them.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a pot pie recipe once that called for parsnips. It was really good. I don't know where the recipe is though.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I roast them. Peel and cut into large cubes (large, because vegetables will shrink when roasting, so you don't want them too small). Drizzle with a bit of olive oil, sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper, and then toss. Throw them on a cookie sheet. 425 degrees for about 25 minutes or until they're at the tenderness you want.

This is basically Ina Garten's recipe for roasted winter vegetables and I use it now for roasting all my root vegetables. Add some chunks of butternut squash, throw in some carrots, toss in some chunked sweet potatoes. It's all good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They were cooked in some kind of casserole with bread crumbs and cheese when I had them before. Winchester Winchester I think I might try your idea and mix them with some sweet potatoes.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made this recipe: Mealime with my cooking app. Adding that bit of honey was excellent.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I couldn't see any of these recipes as it looks like I have to sign in. Anyway, I did cook them tonight. I put some olive oil, garlic pepper, and parsley in a bowl. I added the cut up parsnips and carrot chunks, stirred them around and then roasted them in the oven. We like it a lot.

Lucifigus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm a little late to this party, but a favourite of mine is to cook them as well as some carrots. Mash both together with a dollop of butter, some ginger, and a pinch of nutmeg. It's a wonderful vegetable mix.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lucifigus Lucifigus Thank you for this suggestion. I will try it next time I can find some parsnips in the grocery store.