Parmesan Cheese ( Finely Grated)

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you put parmesan cheese on top of cat food??As a topping??Or is it a BIG NO NO..To entice their eating

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can even use the stuff from the green can. Maybe that's what you're talking about, not sure. I always use the canned parm rather than grating fresh. It's salty though, so I just do a small sprinkle of it. They usually just need enough to be able to smell it on there. Just a dash

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
You can even use the stuff from the green can. Maybe that's what you're talking about, not sure. I always use the canned parm rather than grating fresh. It's salty though, so I just do a small sprinkle of it. They usually just need enough to be able to smell it on there. Just a dash
15810271898034835931380361431611.jpg

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What are the ingredients? A lot of grated cheese in containers like those contain preservatives and powdered cellulose (the fancy way of saying wood pulp), not 100% cheese. It's better to buy a small chunk of Parmesan cheese and grate it yourself as needed.

Do you have any cat treats on hand that you can crush up and use as toppers?

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
What are the ingredients? A lot of grated cheese in containers like those contain preservatives and powdered cellulose (the fancy way of saying wood pulp), not 100% cheese. It's better to buy a small chunk of Parmesan cheese and grate it yourself as needed.

Do you have any cat treats on hand that you can crush up and use as toppers?
I decided NOT to use it at all..being I never have..and hes 11yrs old..and never gave any to him..I just ordered some Minced AJ On Chewy.com..
Being thats minced and not chunks or even small pieces..maybe he will eat it....Thanks

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks FOR everyone's tips and advice..it all helped:):petcat::whitecat:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, it's a big NO NO. You should never feed the cat dairy products because most cats are lactose-tolerant.
This isn't true. There are cats that can tolerate it and cheese given in small amounts is fine.

Milk, however, is not recommended. There's something about the processing of it into cheese which changes the way it's digested which makes it easier on their stomach so small amounts of cheese should pose no risk but one should be cautious. If you find your cat doesn't tolerate it, obviously don't give it again.

marylovescats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This isn't true. There are cats that can tolerate it and cheese given in small amounts is fine.

Milk, however, is not recommended. There's something about the processing of it into cheese which changes the way it's digested which makes it easier on their stomach so small amounts of cheese should pose no risk but one should be cautious. If you find your cat doesn't tolerate it, obviously don't give it again.
Well, it's up to you what to give your cat but vets and cat experts never recommend any dairy products for cats. It's harmful for them. giving a tiny bit of cheese would not be harmful but I avoid giving my cats dairy products at all cost.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it's up to you what to give your cat but vets and cat experts never recommend any dairy products for cats. It's harmful for them. giving a tiny bit of cheese would not be harmful but I avoid giving my cats dairy products at all cost.
I been decided against it...Hes 11yrs and never gave him nothing like that since he was a kitten..So I been decided NOT to..One reason hes never had it in all his 11yrs..and im little too cautious I GUESS...But its worth it to me for my baby aka boy Snowball :) :petcat::agree::whitecat:

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I been decided against it...Hes 11yrs and never gave him nothing like that since he was a kitten..So I been decided NOT to..One reason hes never had it in all his 11yrs..and im little too cautious I GUESS...But its worth it to me for my baby aka boy Snowball :) :petcat::agree::whitecat:
There are some cat food toppings and flakes to help entice cats. Tiki cat flakes and crunchers can be used as toppers
Also some delectables squeezeups can be put on top the food to attract them, that works for me sometimes

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, it's a big NO NO. You should never feed the cat dairy products because most cats are lactose-tolerant.
Hard aged cheeses (especially ones that are aged for a long time like Parmesan) have very very little lactose in them, the bacteria that help with the aging process eat the lactose and break it down. If you look at the nutritional info on a block of Parmesan you’ll notice it has no sugar in it.

I wouldn’t feed my cat parmesan all the time but the trace amounts of lactose in a pinch of parmesan aren’t going to hurt your cat. Especially if they’re not eating enough and it helps make the food more enticing

marylovescats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hard aged cheeses (especially ones that are aged for a long time like Parmesan) have very very little lactose in them, the bacteria that help with the aging process eat the lactose and break it down. If you look at the nutritional info on a block of Parmesan you’ll notice it has no sugar in it.

I wouldn’t feed my cat parmesan all the time but the trace amounts of lactose in a pinch of parmesan aren’t going to hurt your cat. Especially if they’re not eating enough and it helps make the food more enticing
Well, I would not give my cats any dairy food at all.

Telstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Real parmesan (which I'm not sure how easy is to find where the OP lives) has no additives and very little lactose. My cat doesn't like any dairy so I didn'teven pose the problem.