Pardon my ignorance....phosphorous

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How do you calculate percentage of phosphorous? For example, if a food has 214 milligrams of phosphorous per 100 calories, then what is the percentage? Do you simply divide the calories by the phosphorous in milligrams? Thanks.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I have a kidney kitty. All the info I can find on the particular food I am investigating is what I posted above.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
How many calories per gram (or how many grams to make up 100 calories)? Without that info, you can’t really calculate percentage. Take a look on Tanya;s website under the diet section — perhaps the food you’re looking at is mentioned there.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't know how to figure the calculation, but when I had kidney cats I just called the manufacturer and asked them what the percentage of phosphorus was (on a dry matter basis) in any particular food and went with that.

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens is recommending the best and easiest way. I called up Royal Canin to get the typical analysis and dry matter basis info (for protein in my case), and the person I spoke to was happy to go through many different products with me. Sometimes, Chewy will have answers provided on their Q and A section for a food product, and you can look at that, too, in case someone has asked before. Or you can ask about it yourself. But I'd still call the manufacturer, in case Chewy doesn't convey the info correctly.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Late to this thread. But, personally speaking, if you can't get low phosphorus foods easily, or if you do and your cat won't eat them, forgo this option. First off, why are you looking for low phosphorus foods - kidney issues? Have you consider phosphorus binders, or a newer offering known as niacinamide (which is a phosphorus control rather than the most commonly known binders)? Most low phosphorus foods are also lower in protein, and it is becoming known among studies that lowering protein for kidney patients isn't all what it was 'cracked up to be'.

Last edited: