Parasites & Tapeworms - Advice

lorelei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, I have heard about parasites and worms prevention and medications and the whole nine yards. Is it possible that an adult cat that has had all the preventive care for this condition can develop it? I noticed some white thingies that look like seeds and for what I've read in the forums they might be tapeworms or something to that effect. I took a sample and it's in the freezer for the vet to take a look at it. I will take the sample to the vet tomorrow and I guess I'll have to medicate the two adult cats and the kitty. I just need some feedback based on your experience... BTW, the new kitty tested negative for everything in stool sample test that the vet performed. Advice, experiences and anything is appreciated.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You don't need to take a sample of the worm to your vet. They sound like tapeworms. Your cat needs to go to the vet, he will weigh her, deflea her and test the fecal for more than one parasite just to be safe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lorelei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Absolutely, Hissy! I am taking the sample and Montgomery altogether, so the vet takes care of everything. Now, how contagious are the worms? And is it possible for Maximo to have them already? Should I also treat Matilde (the little one) even though she tested nehagtive a week ago?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If your cats have fleas, they have tapeworms, that is a given. if they are allowed to hunt, they pick up fleas from mice and birds. If one cat has tapeworms, then that means they have fleas and since fleas travel it is probably true that both your cats are infected.

Unless you practice lousy hygiene habits, you should be safe from getting tapeworms.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

If your cats have fleas, they have tapeworms, that is a given.
How come this automatic?? Do you mean fleas are in-between hosts for tapeworm??

lorelei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My three cats are indoor cats. People that have lived in my apartment previous to me never had pets. I have been in this building for 5 years and I'm the only tenant allowed to have pets. There's a couple that have been in the building for 25 years and were surprised that the landlord allowed me to bring in the cats. I had no idea that fleas came with tapeworms or viceversa, wow! Amazing, isn't it? The vet has not returned my phone calls and apparently she's not working today. I'm trying to get one of the partners to see Montgomery and get medications NOW!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by StefanZ

How come this automatic?? Do you mean fleas are in-between hosts for tapeworm??
When cats have fleas, they are constantly grooming themselves (chasing the itch) while grooming they swallow fleas. The flea contains the larvae of the tapeworm. Once inside the cat's moist system the larvae hatches and travels until it rests on the side of the cat's tissue. As the tapeworm grows, it detaches of itself- that is what the little rice like segments are that you see on your cat, on your chair, or on your leg after a lap sit. The host worm is still growing inside your cat, and although not as dangerous as if the cat has roundworms, or whipworms or hookworms, the tapeworm is still something to be rid of.

If you can keep your cat from eating fleas, then tapeworms are no problem. I flea treat my cats monthly switching from Advantage to Frontline because fleas develop immunities. But because mice get into the outside enclosure, I also worm my cats on a regular basis for tapes. I call my vet, give them the weight of each cat, and they send me Drontal to dispense to each kitty.

Even if a cat is an inside only cat it can still get fleas. They come in on your shoes, in your hair, on your jeans, through cracks in your home- you name it. One flea can jump 13 feet!

lorelei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Holy Moley! Gee, Hissy, thanks! This is somethng I didn't know. Are you suggesting that I should treat them for fleas first? Or both? What do you think it's best? Are Advantage & Frontline good for multiple cats? I'm afarid they might lick each other and get poisoned.... About switching, it completely makes sense, it's like shampoo, or deodorant, right? Anyway... thanks a lot for your advice and help. You rock!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lorelei

Holy Moley! Gee, Hissy, thanks! This is somethng I didn't know. Are you suggesting that I should treat them for fleas first? Or both? What do you think it's best? Are Advantage & Frontline good for multiple cats? I'm afarid they might lick each other and get poisoned.... About switching, it completely makes sense, it's like shampoo, or deodorant, right? Anyway... thanks a lot for your advice and help. You rock!
Yes, you should treat them for fleas, and also take any cat beds you might have, and treat them with a preventative spray you can get from your vet.

If they lick each other after applying Frontline or Advantage (correctly) they will just drool or salivate a little. If you have kittens, you use kitten strength after your talk to your vet. Don't just put the stuff on without knowing what you are doing-