Parasite Testing And Deworming

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So my mentor suggested deworming a minimum of twice prior to my kittens going to their forever homes. (My previous vet suggested to do it at 2,4, and 6 weeks which I think is too much and too young for kittens I knew weren't riddled with worms)

I recently switched to a new vet, and instead of giving deworming medication right off the hop, we tested for ova, parasites and giardia (which from my understanding covers all possible parasites the kittens are likely to have). The results were negative for everything.
My vet suggested to test them again before they go to their new homes, which I plan to do around the time of their 12 week vaccinations. If they test positive at that time, I will treat them with the appropriate medication.

I have since been told by other breeders/ people that adopters EXPECT their kittens to have been given deworming medication prior to taking them home, and that "adopters might not understand why there weren't".

I personally think it's pretty simple... they don't have worms, so therefore I did not treat them for worms... but I am new to breeding, so maybe I just don't understand.

I know the likelihood of kittens having worms is high, but if your cats are indoor only, the chances of them picking up parasites is significantly less than the cat that goes outside.

I work in healthcare, and there is a serious problem with people contracting MRSA and VRE (highly contagious, extremely difficult to treat antibiotic-resistant infections) due to the overuse of antibiotics. What's to stop the parasites our cats normally get from mutating and becoming resistant to the medication, because of its overuse?

And if the deworming medication only treats the problem (if there is one), and isn't preventative like vaccinations, why is it common practice to give your cat/kitten without testing to make sure they need it first?

Sorry for the rant...
What is your take on this?

Maybe I am completely wrong in my thoughts, because I haven't really come across any pet owner/breeder that tests before giving it.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree deworming strictly indoors cats is seldom necessary.
Our little Lasarus wasnt dewormed at all.

Still as you say people do expect it, so do it unless the buyer is comfortable with you dont doing it.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've actually never had any pet buyer ask about whether kittens have been wormed or whether I tested for parasites (of course I'm always glad to talk their ear off if they ever do ask about anything :)) On this point, my contract simply states, "Breeder believes that kitten/cat is free of internal and external parasites at time of placement."

I am in agreement with your vet that if your breeding population is tested, isolated from other animals, and you are confident you are parasite free, there is no need to worm kittens. Test the adults too, not just the kittens. But do be aware that parasites do not always show up in a fecal test.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All of my adult cats were given dewormer about 3 weeks prior to me switching vets. But from now on I will be testing rather than just giving it.

To be honest I never really thought about testing for parasites, until my new vet suggested it. I definitely like this way more, especially with young kittens!

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't agree with that indoor cats can't get worms easily. It happens and isn't as rare as you might think. Especially in a cattery with multiple cats.

However, I hate using deworming too often too. Especially in smaller kittens who are still developing their intestines. I personally test and only deworm if I have to. The test results I ask on paper and give it to the buyers when the kittens move, to show them the kitten was free of worms and parasites prior to moving.

I would never deworm only because people might not understand the way I work. It is my cattery, my kittens, and I work the way I want to work. If you feel it's better for your kittens to test and not deworm if not necessary, then do it that way. You only want what is best for your babies :)