Paraphimosis

OreoCoco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oreo, my 7 year old long haired male cat, was not shaved this spring (as usual) and had UTI symptoms. After x-rays, ultrasound, antibiotics, tranquilizers, and prescription wet food, Vet said that the long hair around his rear end wrapped around his penis and he was not able to urinate. Searched internet and found "Paraphimosis." He is almost his old self. Has anyone has experience with this? I feel so bad that this happened.

havecats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, I've never heard of this happening in cats. I've heard of it happening to babies when it would happen with their mother's long hair. You did everything right and it sounds like you got the diagnosis from the vet fairly quickly. Please don't blame yourself. Glad to hear he is almost back to his old self!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I had never heard of such a thing - for the reason you noted. I suspect that after this many years he has gotten into a habit of not cleaning that area as much as he would have otherwise if he weren't routinely shaved. I guess you will have to keep up getting him shaved to ensure it doesn't happen again.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so glad that your boy is doing okay and don't think that you should blame yourself for something that you would have to have been psychic to discover.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

OreoCoco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, I've never heard of this happening in cats. I've heard of it happening to babies when it would happen with their mother's long hair. You did everything right and it sounds like you got the diagnosis from the vet fairly quickly. Please don't blame yourself. Glad to hear he is almost back to his old self!
Thank you. I will never miss shaving him again!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a shocker! No, I'd never seen this term before or known of the condition. So glad you caught it early and that sweet Oreo is okay! Yes, I guess it's regular shaving for him!