Paranoid about fast breathing in kitten

Ravynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, first off just want to say I had a thread regarding my previous cat Kitty who passed away from heart failure in August and I may just be paranoid about this as I am a very anxious person regarding health issues. I used to count her BPM multiple times a day, driving myself kind of nuts.

Ever since I got my kitten Binx at 8 wks old (he's 4 months old now), I noticed he breathes fast when he sleeps. I usually notice he breathes fast more so when he's curled up.. but sometimes he doesn't. He almost never breathes fast when he's laying straight out. I've counted his BPM at 20, 22, 24, 26 while sleeping straight out. I've counted his BPM at 28, 30, 32, 34, 36, 38, 40 when he's curled up. I have no idea if at any of these times he's truly dead asleep as he's extremely curious and listens to every noise in the house. I've also listened to his breathing with my ear to his chest and his breathing sounds clear, no crackling. I even listened to his heart the other day and counted somewhere between 148-160 beats per minute.

The rescue he was from had him tested for FeLV/FIV and he was negative, dewormed 3-4 times, flea/heartworm treatment. He was at the vet Nov. 25th to get his first vaccine and I mentioned to the vet he has a little nose whistle but only if you put your ear right up to his nose and he didn't seem concerned. He tried to listen to his heart/lungs but his heart was beating fast he couldn't really hear anything. He said he thinks he's a happy and healthy kitten. He felt his abdomen, looked in his mouth/ears/nose. I didn't bring up the fast breathing to the vet then because I didn't know if I'm just being super anxious about it or not. He has another appt for his next vaccine Dec. 23rd.

After typing this out I might sound a little too anxious but hopefully it's understandable due to my previous cat's condition. He's otherwise a very active, playful kitten and is up most of the day except for a few naps and sleeps the whole night in his bedroom. He loves to chase and hunt his feather wands and run all over the house with his knitted balls and play with my dog.

I want to bring this up to the vet on Dec. 23rd but i'm anxious to as I don't want there to be an actual problem :sniffle: I keep thinking oh he has a heart condition and is going to die like my other cat or he has a tumor in his chest... yikes! Anxiety.

Any insight onto this fast breathing only when curled up would be helpful!!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is a little odd if he is breathing fast when asleep. Granted, if he is deep asleep and dreaming there can be periods of rapid breathing, twitching and even startling themselves awake. But if he is breathing rapidly most of the time when sleeping it is worth checking out. I would call or message your vet and explain the situation. Ask if you should see the vet sooner given your description. There is no harm in being known as a paranoid pet parent with your vets office.

Even with it being odd, to someone who just loves cats and has no medical background in it, doesn't mean it is a sign of some major problem. Try to relax a little and touch base with your vet. I do get it, I lost two kittens back to back at around 6 months old. My current boy I was running to the vet for every sneeze because I was so worried about him. I had a cat with cancer that was caught as a small bump, you better believe I have every single bump that doesn't improve within 72 hours check by a vet. They want a precautionary test just in case, not a problem. They want xrays or ultrasound to get a better look to confirm suspicions, how soon can we do it? I do completely understand paranoia and fear over health concerns. All we can do is remain calm so we don't stress our furbabies and be proactive. The more you know your cat the better you can notice something off. Cats are just as much prey as predator and will hide signs of illness so we have to be their voice and spokesman if something is off. Just don't drive yourself crazy with worry in the process.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ravynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is a little odd if he is breathing fast when asleep. Granted, if he is deep asleep and dreaming there can be periods of rapid breathing, twitching and even startling themselves awake. But if he is breathing rapidly most of the time when sleeping it is worth checking out. I would call or message your vet and explain the situation. Ask if you should see the vet sooner given your description. There is no harm in being known as a paranoid pet parent with your vets office.

Even with it being odd, to someone who just loves cats and has no medical background in it, doesn't mean it is a sign of some major problem. Try to relax a little and touch base with your vet. I do get it, I lost two kittens back to back at around 6 months old. My current boy I was running to the vet for every sneeze because I was so worried about him. I had a cat with cancer that was caught as a small bump, you better believe I have every single bump that doesn't improve within 72 hours check by a vet. They want a precautionary test just in case, not a problem. They want xrays or ultrasound to get a better look to confirm suspicions, how soon can we do it? I do completely understand paranoia and fear over health concerns. All we can do is remain calm so we don't stress our furbabies and be proactive. The more you know your cat the better you can notice something off. Cats are just as much prey as predator and will hide signs of illness so we have to be their voice and spokesman if something is off. Just don't drive yourself crazy with worry in the process.
I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. It's a clinic and the same vet isn't there everyday and they are very, very booked up and unless it's an emergency can't get anyone in sooner. They don't even have a cancellation list. Of all the times i've called in the past I haven't been able to speak with the vet directly, I don't know if that's normal or not? Even when my previous cat was having issues. The only thing making me not panic too bad is that i've noticed it for 9 weeks already so i'm hoping it can't be something terrible. I'm going to try to wait the 3 wks til his next appt.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You might want to check around for a different vet if that's a normal thing. I get prices might be the issue or location, so mentioning it in case it is an option.

If its been going on a while, a few more weeks should be okay. There is an online vet thing, ask a vet or something, you can pay a fee to have a vet review your information. I used it once when my vet was out and I was worried about something. Glad I did because the referral vet said based on my description and photos I needed to crate rest my cat until the vet could see him in person and she was right. My hyperactive child had rebroken his nearly healed broken leg (the online vet figured it out based on how he was holding the leg, he still holds it oddly because it had started to reheal wrong. He doesn't show pain signs unless it is really really bad).

Last edited:

Ravynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You might want to check around for a different vet if that's a normal thing. I get prices might be the issue or location, so mentioning it in case it is an option.

If its been going on a while, a few more weeks should be okay. There is an online vet thing, ask a vet or something, you can pay a fee to have a vet review your information. I used it once when my vet was out and I was worried about something. Glad I did because the referral vet said based on my description and photos I needed to crate rest my cat until the vet could see him in person and she was right. My hyperactive child had rebroken his nearly healed broken leg (the online vet figured it out based on how he was holding the leg, he still holds it oddly because it had started to reheal wrong. He doesn't show pain signs unless it is really really bad).
I waited until this morning to reply as I was a bit too anxious yesterday about his breathing. I'm better today, lol. In the past 9 weeks his breathing hasn't changed or gotten worse so i'm going to try to not worry for the next 3 weeks if I can! He was so scared at the vet last time he kind of acted like a statue and his heart was racing so the vet couldn't hear much which was not that encouraging. If they want an xray i'll have no problem with it, I honestly just want him to be okay and healthy. I've never had a cat so attached to me before and I just love him so much.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anything OVER 40 breathes per minute is considered abnormal. He may be dreaming while he is curled up, that position would also compress the lungs. Having rapid breathes and heartbeat at the vet's is normal, he is stressed. Oen of my cats was an outdoor cat when he was a kitten and came down with distemper. He almost died but survived, but having an x-ray they found out it permanently scarred his lungs. His breathes are normal for him at 60 per minute. I have him on lung gold from amazon right now, a supplement for lung health. He is almost 7 years old now and I am grateful for every day with him. His 7 and a half year old brother has been diagnosed with Leukemia a little over a year ago, so I assume he has it too. We just take life day by day. Any kind of illness could kill them so I give them DMG for immune health and keep them strictly indoors. So far, so good, considering the vet said he only had days to live. I just wanted you to know that even with horrible predicted outcomes, there is always hope. So just love him while you can, the chances of him living a long, normal life are good! Almost 99% of what we worry about never happens, so don't get all worked up until you truly find out something dire. Don't waste a minute of your life worrying about something that may never happen.....

Ravynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anything OVER 40 breathes per minute is considered abnormal. He may be dreaming while he is curled up, that position would also compress the lungs. Having rapid breathes and heartbeat at the vet's is normal, he is stressed. Oen of my cats was an outdoor cat when he was a kitten and came down with distemper. He almost died but survived, but having an x-ray they found out it permanently scarred his lungs. His breathes are normal for him at 60 per minute. I have him on lung gold from amazon right now, a supplement for lung health. He is almost 7 years old now and I am grateful for every day with him. His 7 and a half year old brother has been diagnosed with Leukemia a little over a year ago, so I assume he has it too. We just take life day by day. Any kind of illness could kill them so I give them DMG for immune health and keep them strictly indoors. So far, so good, considering the vet said he only had days to live. I just wanted you to know that even with horrible predicted outcomes, there is always hope. So just love him while you can, the chances of him living a long, normal life are good! Almost 99% of what we worry about never happens, so don't get all worked up until you truly find out something dire. Don't waste a minute of your life worrying about something that may never happen.....
I notice the faster breathing when he initially gets curled up, not fully asleep. I just worry more because my previous cat's respiratory rate was 36 when she had open mouth breathing when she was first diagnosed with heart failure and fluid around the lungs, so that's why it makes me paranoid seeing him breathe a little faster. Your story gives me some relief, as I know if I found out my cat had something like that I would definitely freak out!

And as far as the last part of your post, do I ever need to listen to that advice more! Thank you.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did freak out at first, I remember standing in the vet's office waiting to pay and crying after the diagnosis and the vet saying, "not long, days"......You feel numb for a long time. Then each day he survived became a miracle. Hope steps in. Now over a year later, I don't know what to think. The vet said he had almost ZERO white blood cells and it was a miracle he wasn't having a heart attack. He couldn't even walk far. He also told me that the bone marrow makes new cells about every 30 days, so if his bone marrow isn't affected there could be a TINY chance he could live longer, this was after a couple of months and I called him to report. It makes me realize that you take just one day at a time, don't worry unless you know for a fact that there is something to worry about, most times it is just my obsessing too hard. This time it was real, BUT there are still miracles out there, don't stop believing! Horrible picture but here he is a year and two months later!

Attachments

Ravynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did freak out at first, I remember standing in the vet's office waiting to pay and crying after the diagnosis and the vet saying, "not long, days"......You feel numb for a long time. Then each day he survived became a miracle. Hope steps in. Now over a year later, I don't know what to think. The vet said he had almost ZERO white blood cells and it was a miracle he wasn't having a heart attack. He couldn't even walk far. He also told me that the bone marrow makes new cells about every 30 days, so if his bone marrow isn't affected there could be a TINY chance he could live longer, this was after a couple of months and I called him to report. It makes me realize that you take just one day at a time, don't worry unless you know for a fact that there is something to worry about, most times it is just my obsessing too hard. This time it was real, BUT there are still miracles out there, don't stop believing! Horrible picture but here he is a year and two months later!
The vet said the same about my previous cat, Kitty. They told me she would most likely have to be put to sleep in just days if no improvement but I got another 7 good months to share with her. Your boy is definitely a miracle for being able to get through all that! Especially with no white blood cells, wow. He is a very big boy.

Here is Binx!

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is absolutely adorable! I LOVE cats colored like him, the shading is beautiful! I have a sea of orange right now, all three of mine are orange and orange and white. But my outside cats that showed up after we moved in are dark grey tabby and black and white (In the middle of nowhere)At least I can see something different!

Ravynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is absolutely adorable! I LOVE cats colored like him, the shading is beautiful! I have a sea of orange right now, all three of mine are orange and orange and white. But my outside cats that showed up after we moved in are dark grey tabby and black and white (In the middle of nowhere)At least I can see something different!
Thank you! He's handsome and he definitely knows it. I've always wanted a cat that looked a little like a Siamese. I was just casually browsing the local shelter and rescues and his litter popped up one day and I knew he was mine. I know what you mean about the colors! My late Kitty was completely black, so sometimes it's still odd seeing Binx on the floor with him being all white! :lol:

Ravynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll have to keep you guys updated but I noticed the past 2 days when Binx sleeps on the dog's pillow bed or the dog's chair that he's breathing normally when curled up and stretched out. Around 20-22 bpm. I few times I noticed he got pretty hot on his own furry donut bed when I happened to touch him on the side he was laying on so i'm wondering if it was that? He did still breathe fast when initially getting in his donut bed the other day though.

Just something weird I thought i'd mention!

Edit: Curled up on me and breathing fine... :stars: I think I need to have a little relax.

Last edited:

Ravynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, so i've been counting his breathes for the past week and it seems like when he first curls up in a ball while still awake his breathing is faster. After a while, it slows down. I'm kind of freaking myself out over this to be honest. He usually never likes sleeping in a ball and will always stretch out, so i'm paranoid he thinks it's easier to breathe while stretched out?

I know i'm projecting my past cat's health problems onto him but i'm just reaaally paranoid and probably wouldn't be at all if he didn't breathe fast at times. :disappointed:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Okay, so i've been counting his breathes for the past week and it seems like when he first curls up in a ball while still awake his breathing is faster. After a while, it slows down. I'm kind of freaking myself out over this to be honest. He usually never likes sleeping in a ball and will always stretch out, so i'm paranoid he thinks it's easier to breathe while stretched out?

I know i'm projecting my past cat's health problems onto him but i'm just reaaally paranoid and probably wouldn't be at all if he didn't breathe fast at times. :disappointed:
Curled up is probably more related to winter. My crew always become little sleeping balls this time of year and stretch out in the summer. I think it probably is a little easier to breath spread out but not a noticeable amount, the slowing down breathing after asleep is normal.

Ravynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Curled up is probably more related to winter. My crew always become little sleeping balls this time of year and stretch out in the summer. I think it probably is a little easier to breath spread out but not a noticeable amount, the slowing down breathing after asleep is normal.
To clarify, I meant he usually doesn't like to stay curled up for long and he will go right to being stretched out after initially laying down - he's been doing that since I adopted him. Maybe i'm looking too into it, I don't know. I'm still paranoid enough that i'm going to mention it to the vet.

Here he is right now, his bpm was 28 here. It was 24/26 before he moved.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To clarify, I meant he usually doesn't like to stay curled up for long and he will go right to being stretched out after initially laying down - he's been doing that since I adopted him. Maybe i'm looking too into it, I don't know. I'm still paranoid enough that i'm going to mention it to the vet.

Here he is right now, his bpm was 28 here. It was 24/26 before he moved.
Starting curled up and stretching out while sleeping is normal too.

Ravynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Starting curled up and stretching out while sleeping is normal too.
Yes, I understand, i'm just concerned about the fast breathing at times.

Ravynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My anxiety was calming down quite a bit but then yesterday I noticed Binx has a lump at the exact spot where he got his vaccine on Nov 25th (~3 weeks ago). It wasn't there when he initially got it. I started googling and found it can be an inflammation lump that will go away or it can stay and have to be removed :disappointed: , then I read about ISS and that was a mistake. The vet put it on his right shoulder blade and now i'm thinking if the vet won't put the next vaccine in his leg next week i'm not going to have the vet do it because I don't want another vaccine right next to the lump...

Am I wrong in thinking like that? Has anyone dealt with that before?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My anxiety was calming down quite a bit but then yesterday I noticed Binx has a lump at the exact spot where he got his vaccine on Nov 25th (~3 weeks ago). It wasn't there when he initially got it. I started googling and found it can be an inflammation lump that will go away or it can stay and have to be removed :disappointed: , then I read about ISS and that was a mistake. The vet put it on his right shoulder blade and now i'm thinking if the vet won't put the next vaccine in his leg next week i'm not going to have the vet do it because I don't want another vaccine right next to the lump...

Am I wrong in thinking like that? Has anyone dealt with that before?
Link got a vaccine lump after one of his vaccines. Do tell your vet about it but don't stress too much. Try putting a warm compress on the spot if your kitty will tolerate it to help it shrink down.

Ravynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Link got a vaccine lump after one of his vaccines. Do tell your vet about it but don't stress too much. Try putting a warm compress on the spot if your kitty will tolerate it to help it shrink down.
Can you remember how long it lasted? When he was asleep I was able to feel it more, I can pick it up with my fingers and it's not attached to his tissues in any way.. it's almost like it's suspended in a lump just under his skin. I did read quite a few instances of people having their cat's get the lump a few weeks after the vaccine and then gone in another few weeks/months.

The FVRCP he got was modified live, FeLV was killed. He is supposed to get another FVRCP (live), FeLV (killed), and Rabies (killed) next week and I really do not want to get them all in the shoulder area again. I'm kind of nervous for the vet to be adamant about putting them in the shoulder area. (3 vet clinics in my rural area, they all use the same vaccines and possibly protocols as well)

Edit: I think i'm going to make a separate thread about the vaccines to see what others have to say as well.

Last edited: