Paralyzed Stray Black Kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love the progress - I’ve followed this tread from the start ! Bless him ! I love the photo of them in the dogs beds haha do they do it to show the dogs whose the boss ? Lol
Of course they do it to show who's the boss! :insertevillaugh: No, they really get along well with my dogs and also I have dog and cat beds all over the house. I think I own more cat and dog beds than actual furniture for the house! :blush:.

How is feten doing and how does he like his new "sweaters"? Are they helping?
I made I mistake when ordering his pants, but that was totally my fault because I did not ask about how much coverage they offer in the belly area. Turns out there is no fabric in the belly at all. We had to find a seamstress who was willing to modify them and they should be ready tomorrow. We'll see how they turn out.

Meanwhile we bought him a newborn onesie and cut out the sleeves. It works to keep him protected, but Fetén has figured out how to get out of it within ten minutes of putting it on.

Other than that he is doing really well. His new therapist is optimistic about his left hind quarter. He says it is totally normal in neurological patients to have one leg stronger than the other and he feels like he should be able to stand on at least three legs. Whatever progress we can make sound amazing to me.

Now his therapy is more focused on getting him to stand up. It takes three people for him to awkwardly stand up for a couple of seconds, but it is all worth it. After many attempts of his therapist holding and massaging his legs and hips, me massaging the tail and my husband making sure Fetén does not jump off the table, he is able to lift his hips. The next step is for him to extend the knee joint, but little by little. We are patient.

We have just started a trial with acetyl L-carnitine. There is no definitive conclusive scientific evidence that it works (i.e. it's not a magic pill) but Fetén's vet thinks it is worth a try as he has seen progress on other patients and there are no risky side effects, so we will give it a go for a week and then evaluate again.

The thing that works most against us right now is Fetén himself. If he gets annoyed at being handled so much he will just stop trying. It makes total sense. How could he understand that doing this is good for him? It is uncomfortable and annoying, why would he want to keep doing it? He only really tries to stand up when he is interested, like when he sees a bird or a lizard or when he wants to go out (we take him out for a walk in the park holding him in our arms. He loves it!)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wiggling out of the onesie? Trying to jump off the table during therapy? Wow! This kitty has really been making progress. Just attempting those things is exercising muscles. Yay! Feten is doing very well with all of your devoted help. The onesie was a great idea. It’s actually serving a double purpose. Protecting and causing Feten to work at getting it off! I know you need the new protection of the pants but I think putting the onesie on sometimes might be incentive to keep Feten moving. You said that lizards or birds help. Have you tried using the videos made for kitties that are mouse chase or string chase games? I get them on my phone and put it on the floor for the cats I need to work with. They go crazy trying to maneuver the phone up to look under it for the mouse. There are lots of versions of the game. Mine like some better than others. Maybe it could even be used during physical therapy to keep him on the table if it doesn’t distract him too much. I used games a to keep Sarah happy during therapy. Sometimes it really helped.
Again, you are fantastic! I think it’s so great your husband is helping too. Feten is a very lucky kitty. You are inspiring others!:heartshape:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most any "interactive toy" should interest Feten and cause him to want to "get at it" should help as well. Katy as a battery operated toy that has a wand with feathers on the end of it that moves in a circular motion at various speeds that you control and she loves "attacking" those feathers. A great stimulation motivator!!!

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wiggling out of the onesie? Trying to jump off the table during therapy? Wow! This kitty has really been making progress.
Well, if he is fed up with therapy he'll do everything he can to get away! When I say he tries to jump off, I mean he "jumps" with his upper body, lands with his front paws and crashes with the rest of his body.

We got his pants back from the seamstress. She did a great job and now his belly is protected but Fetén absolutely hates it. He just freezes and refuses to move because they are fastened with velcro around the neck, but he'll have to get used to it little by little, especially because we are trying to get him a wheelchair with pedals that move his legs with the movement of the wheels. This is just so he can get used to moving his legs as if walking, and also to get him in a more normal standing position, so he needs to get used to having something strapped to him.

We are seeing an orthotist this Friday to discuss if he can make one for Fetén because we have already been turned down by two others (one said they wouldn't do it and the other said they can do it, but won't because they feel he won't get used to it enough to use it, maybe a valid point but we want to try!)

Most any "interactive toy" should interest Feten and cause him to want to "get at it" should help as well. Katy as a battery operated toy that has a wand with feathers on the end of it that moves in a circular motion at various speeds that you control and she loves "attacking" those feathers. A great stimulation motivator!!!
I used to put on the videos made for cats from Youtube while I did the exercises in his paws and legs at home, but they don't work on him anymore. However, you gave me a great idea (thanks!) Lately he has been a bit resistant to doing the exercises at home, so we switched it up and now I play with him every evening with a wand. This forces him to move and use his legs, but because it is fun, he does not resist it. Also my husband takes him out everyday to look at the birds and place him in a semi-standing position. Since Fetén gets so focused on the birds, he is able to hold this position by himself for longer than when we do it inside the house.

We still do all the exercises once every other day and it turns out than when we do them, he is much more responsive than when we do it everyday.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to put on the videos made for cats from Youtube while I did the exercises in his paws and legs at home, but they don't work on him anymore. However, you gave me a great idea (thanks!) Lately he has been a bit resistant to doing the exercises at home, so we switched it up and now I play with him every evening with a wand. This forces him to move and use his legs, but because it is fun, he does not resist it. Also my husband takes him out everyday to look at the birds and place him in a semi-standing position. Since Fetén gets so focused on the birds, he is able to hold this position by himself for longer than when we do it inside the house.

We still do all the exercises once every other day and it turns out than when we do them, he is much more responsive than when we do it everyday.[/QUOTE]

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We still do all the exercises once every other day and it turns out than when we do them, he is much more responsive than when we do it everyday.
[/QUOTE]
When I get home from work tonight, I will look up the name of that toy I described for you. I know Feten will love it and it will encourage and stimulate him to "chase and pounce", just what you are needing and looking for in him. I will get back with you tonight or tomorrow.;)

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Petlinks Mystery Motion.jpg
I found it. It is called "Mystery Motion" Concealed electronic Motion Toy. This toy can be found at the "Petsmart" website under "Interactive Toys". As you can see by the picture, Feten will totally enjoy playing with this toy. It has 4 speeds to it. It takes 2 or 3, (cannot remember which) AA or AAA batteries.

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Avery Avery and mazie mazie for the great suggestions! Anything that gets Fetén moving is great for him.

British Girls British Girls , thanks! In terms of an update, we finally talked to a local orthotist. He builds orthopedic devices for humans, but is willing to help us out. This is the only person we have been able to find to be willing to give it a try in building a wheelchair that is meant for rehabilitation rather than as a mobility device. We have searched far and wide and every single person has told us they couldn't help. We are hopeful he can come up with a design soon.

The idea is to build a cart with pedals to aid Fetén in taking "steps". He is now able to stand with assistance for a few seconds. We position him, hold just his toes and he is able to lift up his hips and extend the knee joint. This is an amazing milestone. Just being able to stay with his hind legs in the correct position is amazing because he was very stiff at first and it wasn't easy to bend his legs.

Now that he can lift up his hips and hold his weight, he needs help in taking steps. We try to help him walk, but because we need to kneel down or squat very low, we can only hold him for two or three steps before our arms and legs giving out. Both my husband and I take turns in helping him walk, but if a cart could do this for us, then we could practice for longer instead of a few minutes at a time.

Finally, I caught him grooming and... (drumroll) He now also grooms his hind legs and tail! He did not groom anything in his lower body before, so whatever this means, to me, it is great

Sorry for the vacuum noise in the background!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so glad Fetén is continuing to show improvements. :catlove:

Good luck with the wheelchair. I hope the orthotist is able to design and build it soon.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Finally, I caught him grooming and... (drumroll) He now also grooms his hind legs and tail! He did not groom anything in his lower body before, so whatever this means, to me, it is great
We are so glad that Fetén is making great progress! :clapcat:

My, he's grown and he's lovely! :hearthrob: :hearthrob: :loveeyes:

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Super late update, but today Fetén peed by himself during therapy. This is GREAT! Because he is not able to empty his bladder. We have to manually do it several times a day. He had done it before a couple times, but his vet had never seen it an today it happened!

He is also now able to stay in a sitting up position with his hind legs tucked in, and stands up (for a few seconds) if he's "hunting" birds.

His vet presented his case during a conference last month and got several opinions on things to try, mainly additional exercises, but we're still trying. We see progress, and Fetén is doing great, so we'll keep going.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is the best news! I know how great it must feel to see such huge progress. I’m really glad the vet witnessed it too. This is a landmark for Feten along with all the others paralyzed kitties who come after. Documenting this as you are will provide hope to many, many more. Thank you! :redheartpump::clap2: My heart and hopes are with you!

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
any more videos of feten ? I am happy that you are looking after her, i read the thread from the start and it made my day with your kindness towards this cat. I am happy also that there is progress in Fetens therapy and i hope the little girl gets stronger to move more. God bless you for all that you are doing .