Paralyzed Stray Black Kitten

centerfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sabian, thank you. I will have to play with and see if I can work it. If you would there's another vid on the same site. The cat's name is Anakin, climbing the cat tree

centerfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nahui, I hope you can take the time to watch the short videos. Lol share them with Feten, they are very good as far as how much a cat can do. Many Thanks to Sabian for helping post them. Power to the Kitty's.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the videos! I'll watch them with my husband, he's been a real champ caring for Fetén as well. He even wakes up at 5am to empty Fetén's bladder and help him poop. We are trying to anticipate his need to pee and poop to keep him clean and rash free.

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You and your husband are saints for what you are doing for Feten. It is so wonderful knowing that there are people out there that have so much love and compassion for cats. This site is full of these kinds of people and I'm so glad that you are sharing Feten's story with us. He's such a sweetie!

centerfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Many thanks Sabian, that was the video I was referring to. I hope Nahui and her husband find time to watch the videos, I think they will find the faith and patience to deal with Feten,after seeing how these other furbabies learned to deal with similar problems. And I agree Anakin is absolutely amazing, and Able is also considering what happened to him. Again Many Thanks.

centerfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
0107182054b.jpg
This is Bianca my latest "special" kitty. Some clown put out wire snares.One of my friends found her dragging the wire and about a 3 ft branch. I doctored her for about 2 weeks to try to save the leg,but ended up having it amputated. She is doing well,but she had a few challenges learning how to do things.

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's how Fetén gets around as well! Just like Anakin.

He is a bundle of energy and loves to play with Tita and Gato, my other two cats and with my dogs as well. Although they are not too interested in playing with a rambunctious kitten, except for Gato. He even licks Fetén's head!

We repeated his blood work to see if he is improving. I'm happy to report that Fetén now has a clean bill of health. His anemia is gone, as is the mycoplasma.

He tested negative to feline AIDS and leukemia, but we'll test again in a few months because we were told there is a chance of getting false negatives when tested as kittens.

I'm so happy for this!

Tomorrow he is going back to therapy. He is growing so much it looks like he will be one big cat. Whether he walks again or not, I'm sure he is happy and gets around just fine.

centerfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
WONDERFUL NEWS, I'm so happy to hear that. I hope the videos gave a little comfort to you. That other cats can survive many things and live HAPPY meanful lives. So glad to hear Feten is doing so well.Keep the updates coming we are all pulling for him.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ah, disease free, warm, loved and well fed.......sounds like he has the best of all worlds.

You know I believe all things happen for a reason and many times we are not privey to why or the end result.

You’re doing a good thing mom.....keep it up

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's the other way around - kittens get false positives that go away after the mom's antibodies wear off after about 6 months. If he tested negative then he's negative.

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's the other way around - kittens get false positives that go away after the mom's antibodies wear off after about 6 months. If he tested negative then he's negative.
Ah! Then I must have understood it the other way around. It's been so many medical terms thrown at me in a short period of time that I was bound to get something wrong.

Phewww what a relief. I thought there could still be a slim chance that something could go wrong in a few months. Thanks for the clarification!

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So feten’s mom, what’s new?

You know we all need our feten fix!

Hope all is well there. Thirteen degrees here and wind blowing about 25 mph! Dolly, one of our inside but goes out when it’s nice, has been in and out 6 times in the last two hours. She never gives up on the idea that one of those doors will lead to 70 degrees and sunny!!

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For some reason I didn’t get any updates so I’m so happy to find this thread again as first read about blackie now Feten when you first posted . I was so upset about how it happened and it has stuck with me. He is absolutely adorable and pleased he enjoys therapy. I’m giving lots of love to you, your hubby and feten and the other fur babies xxxx

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
trudy1 trudy1 and daisyd daisyd , it really warms my heart that you keep Fetén in you thoughts. Thank you for that!

This is from today's therapy session:
IMG_20180113_094603.jpg
You can see he really likes it and relaxes. I call it his spa day. :p
I apologise for the terrible picture, but I only had one free hand to take it!

We are still trying therapy. It is not likely that he will walk, but we are hoping and keep trying. At home we do a series of exercises as well. At the very least, therapy prevents deteriorating his legs further, so we'll keep at it.

Our biggest concern right now is coming up with the perfect pair of pants for him because he is starting to lose some fur where he presses his hind legs against the floor.

We have tried several DIY pants, but none work like we want, and ready made are really expensive, especially since we are not sure if they would work for him, so if anyone has some ideas, please let me know! Fetén is as active as any growing kitten and we don't want to restrict him from doing normal kitten things, but we need to protect his legs!

He is also unbelievably cuddly. He climbs my legs to sit on my lap whenever I'm sitting down. Every morning he rubs his cheeks against my face and put his front paws on my nose. That is how I start every single day. Pretty great I would say!

centerfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nahui, So happy to hear he's doing really good. On the pants thing I wonder if you could diy something in like a satin or like a soft fleece that would slid easily, like on carpet and floors. Maybe with a Velcro fastener. There's not a better way to start a day than kitty snuggles.

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear Feten is still doing well. He sounds like such a loving kitty! What a wonderful way to start your day. I love the spa day reference. Keep us updated. I love looking at the photos of him. :purr:

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
centerfire centerfire , yes! we have been experimenting with different types of fabric. Fleece has worked best so far, so we'll probably stick with that. Next is trying some kind of waterproof fabric and see how that works or a removable pad for whenever he pees or poops.

Sarthur2 Sarthur2 , that is a great suggestion! I might actually buy a pair of pants and modify them to make a hole for his tail.

Luckily, my mother in law is willing to make his pants. She used to make some of my husband's clothes when he was little, so she is really skilled as a seamstress. We are now working on coming up with a device that will keep the pants in place, but that is also safe for Fetén in case he gets stuck. We supervise him all the time, but still, we would rather be safe rather than sorry. The other thing is to see whether pants work better than a sack.

One thing is clear ,though. Fetén absolutely hates it when we put him in one of these things. Maybe they are not sylish enough for him! :tongue: