Paralyzed Stray Black Kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Remember lots of good exercise before his session to wear him out (as much as possible) might help. I thought maybe the heat (does it warm him up?) might feel so good it would make him sleepy.
Whisper in his ear and tell him he has to take his medicine like a good boy!

Looking for good results in this new year!

Your such a good mom! Kiss his sweet little head for me and sweet kitten dreams!
It does not warm up. Actually, you can't feel a thing of what that does unless you have a magnet in your hand, then you do feel some kind of intermittent vibration. The issue this time is that there was a little dog also in therapy close by and Fetén was interested in everything that was going on with that dog.

I am about to go and give him the last of his medication for tonight. I will make sure to give him lots of kisses, not a hard thing to do at all!

centerfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First of all bless you, and Feten. I have 4 disabled furbabies that I care for. All were rescues, it takes time, love,and money to care for them. But they are worth every dime spent, and every minute given. Keep the faith one of mine I found on the highway, as a dead cat.I stopped to move it off the road and felt a heartbeat, after watching 3 cars straddle it. Long story short, Fluffy is fine today after 2 months of only raising his head. He made a complete recovery except,his balance is off a bit. 2yrs now. Vet said I should put him down when I found him. Keep the faith kitty's are survivors with love and care.

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First of all bless you, and Feten. I have 4 disabled furbabies that I care for. All were rescues, it takes time, love,and money to care for them. But they are worth every dime spent, and every minute given. Keep the faith one of mine I found on the highway, as a dead cat.I stopped to move it off the road and felt a heartbeat, after watching 3 cars straddle it. Long story short, Fluffy is fine today after 2 months of only raising his head. He made a complete recovery except,his balance is off a bit. 2yrs now. Vet said I should put him down when I found him. Keep the faith kitty's are survivors with love and care.
Thank you so much for this!!! I know the road ahead is long, but knowing that others have gone through it before me and come out the other end gives me hope.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow centerfire, in my book your a candidate for "cat sainthood " , if there is such!

And just looking at Feten gives me hope, Nahui. Too bad we can't all look at this thread and say " this is the way we should treat each other!" Let's get to it!

Anyway wishing feten and of course the rest of you, only the best in the coming new year.

From all my kids too: dolly the whiner, spunky the skitzoid, big Henry, Molly the UPS cat, morti the tailess, tigger the timid, and sweetie. Oh and little Wildie, the last of my tnr colony (another sad story)

Rest well and don't scare feten with all the celebrations!

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So it's about time for a "feten update"? How are the treatments doing?

centerfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree, we need Feten update, how's the baby doing??????

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the late update! Fetén is doing great. He's getting bigger and better.

IMG_20180106_093211.jpg
This is him exploring the house for the first time. Yesterday he had his appointment with the neurologist. He said he won't walk again and that he does not recommend surgery. The most we could hope for, in his opinion, is some kind of limited use of his hind legs.

However, today he had his fourth physical therapy session. He really loves therapy. Gets all relaxed and goes right to sleep. We are seeing progress with therapy. His reflexes are stronger. He is slowly, very slowly recovering some feeling in his hind legs and gaining muscle. All great things. He still has a long way to go, but we'll do it together.

He will also get started in the near future with therapy in a pool. We'll see how it goes.

His therapist vet says we should keep going and reassess in about two months. I agree with her. I see progress. Small, but progress nonetheless, so we are clinging to hope.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is wonderful to hear that you plan to continue his therapy.

Small gains are excellent, and it is also a relief to hear the "no-surgery" recommendation. Feten looks great!

It appears that he manages to get around and explore regardless!

Thank you for all the care you continue to give him! :)

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he is able to be mobile and find a way to get around the house to explore and play, then he is doing great. Cats can adjust to living with all sorts of handicaps. It doesn't occur to them to feel sorry for themselves :)

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Patience is the watch word, right? Both patience and long suffering for feten and mom for the coming year.
He’s soooo cute!

Do you sometimes, when it’s late at night and your both “dog tired” just pick him up and tell each other “it’s going to be ok”? You should and I bet you do.

Great update and thanks for the peek into your lives. Keep it coming.

centerfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
WONDERFUL NEWS!!! Progress however small is great.Feten is young and you keeping him healthy is all in his favor. Cats are amazing animals that can recuperate from things that would challenge us. Keep your faith and our prayers, that boy will make it, in his own way. He's moving forward however slow it's still forward

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bless you for caring for this sweet girl. You have a big heart. What a horrible thing she went through. That kind of thing makes me so angry! I hope she gets better. How wonderful it is that this little girl has a chance now because of you.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sending vibes for continued progress with Fetén. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
These are some more pictures of him sunbathing outside and meeting Gato, my three-year old cat for the first time!

Sarthur2 Sarthur2 , Fetén does get around quite well. He even managed to climb a couple of steps leading to the garden. IMG_20180106_114657.jpg IMG_20180106_114837.jpg

msaimee msaimee , you are absolutely right. Thankfully he has no concept of feeling sorry for himself. He is learning to do all the cat things, incluiding climbing, with no fear at all. It's me whose heart stops every time he tries something new, such as attempting to "jump".

trudy1 trudy1 , I do tell him every night that we are o.k. already, but that I know he will keep getting better and better. His response? He puts his front paws on my face!

centerfire centerfire , yes! Any progress is welcome! His age is an advantage, so we are hopeful.

rubysmama rubysmama and @kittymommy , thank you for the good vibes!

Last edited:

centerfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nahui, I assume you have YouTube, Go to it,and search for( "Able",The cat has has no front legs or tail.) If you want just a little more inspiration for Feten's future.This cat's recovery is almost beyond belief.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nahui, I assume you have YouTube, Go to it,and search for( "Able",The cat has has no front legs or tail.) If you want just a little more inspiration for Feten's future.This cat's recovery is almost beyond belief.
Thought I would save you the trouble of looking it up. Haven't been on in a while. Great to see Feten is happy and making great progress. Hoping for tremendous progress in the new year!

able the cat with no front legs - Bing video

centerfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sabian, Many thanks. I'm not real good at doing things on line. I wasn't sure how to put the link on here. But Able is an amazing cat.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
msaimee msaimee , you are absolutely right. Thankfully he has no concept of feeling sorry for himself. He is learning to do all the cat things, incluiding climbing, with no fear at all. It's me whose heart stops every time he tries something new, such as attempting to "jump".
That's in his favour, of course, the "not feeling sorry for himself". On the other hand, you, me, and probably everyone else reading this thread, put ourselves into his tiny little shoes and get all weepy for him. :sniffle:

Thanks for the new pics. He looks wonderful. :catrub: