Paralyzed Stray Black Kitten

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear! He needs to be with someone who can really attend to his special needs.

TTTTrickster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sweet baby was really lucky the day he found you!

Nothing to add just wanted to send positive thoughts your (and your kitty's) way

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dang, that bites. Around here places won' board them that I have found as they require care. Although, since he goes on his own u might be able to. He will just likely be really gross when u go to get him bcz they won' clean him. Have u tried looking up cat rescues in your area? They might be able to help or find someone who can. The cousin who is a vet would be wonderful! Maybe that will work out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IMG_20171208_120434.jpg
IMG_20171208_120434.jpg
IMG_20171208_105554.jpg
Oh dear! He needs to be with someone who can really attend to his special needs.
I found someone!!!:hyper: A vet student with four years of experience working as an assistant in a cat-only hospital!!! She agreed to take him in until Friday. But meanwhile the neurologist changed his mind and decided that Blackie should remain hospitalized for a few extra days. He is not in today, so I didn't get the chance to ask why, but Blackie looks a lot better today. Much more alert, playful, and overall healthier looking.

Here everybody takes care of him. The chief of hospitalization keeps him in her lap while she does paperwork. The assistants take him out of his cage several times a day and clean him up and play with him, so that is great. Everybody loves him here. He even meows every time he sees one of the vets to get a head scratch!

Nothing to add just wanted to send positive thoughts your (and your kitty's) way
Thank you for the good vibes! Blackie is now able to support his weight on his right hind leg!!!! That has to be a good sign, right?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks wonderful! I'm so glad you knew where to take him and had the resources. I wouldn't even have known what to do. You were definitely the right person for this job. :):redheartpump::redheartpump:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How wonderful! I feel like he will continue to improve over time as his injuries heal, especially since he is so young.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How wonderful you are! Seriously, you have a good heart. I hope you decide to keep her, she does need stability and consistency. I see you have much good advice here and I hope you keep us all updated.

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sunday morning I'm planning to go for another visit, but I'll have to wait until Wednesday or Thursday to get any diagnosis or treatment options.

It bugs me that I won't be able to visit again until the weekend because visiting hours end before I get off from work, but he is in great hands and everybody at the vet hospital, starting from the cleaning staff to the top vets, is involved in his recovery. Still, I wish I could be there with him.

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He was able to support his weight with both hind legs while he ate!!!! I positioned him and he kept the position. He hadn't been able to do that. I was so excited I forgot to take a picture.

Food seems to be a huge motivator for him. He goes crazy every time any food is around, even if someone is sipping tea in close proximity, he'll meow loudly to get some. Of course he gets nothing but wet cat food.

I still need to talk to the vet before I leave to ask for an update. This is him today after a well-deserved meal. Sound asleep.
1512923951147-1807422974.jpg

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's amazing news! I bet he makes a full recovery! Keep up the good work! If he keeps it up he will be back to normal in no time! Any news on the MRI happening sooner? Unless there is a medical reason u can't buy him some kitty treats and see what he will do. The aren't really the best for them but my kitties will trample each other over temptations lol. So glad he's getting better.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
IMG_0544.JPG Great to follow a thread like this which goes in a positive direction!! Bet if the little guy could talk he would say "thanks mom, I needed you and you were there".
I believe nerve trauma of this type takes a lot of time so your seeing real progress and a little Christmas miracle to boot.
You know I complained to a vet one time about all these ferals showing up on my doorstep. I said I certainly didn't need one more, speaking of Henry. She just paused from his exam, looked me in the eye and said " but he needed you".
Enuf said. Keep the faith!

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The MRI will be done on Tuesday at 2:00pm. I won't be able to be there because of work. It would be my second day at work, so I can't ask to leave early. Nevertheless, I've spoken to everyone, from the assistants, to the receptionist, to the vets to let them know that I won't be able to visit as often, but I will definitely be calling everyday to see how he is doing.

The plan for now is to keep him in the hospital, at least until the neurologist has a diagnosis and determines whether he can go home or if physical therapy, surgery, or other treatments are an option. Both my husband and me are ready to have him home.

Today, when I went to return him to the hospital after the visit, the assistant told me that he has been using his litterbox. I think that is good. I also learned how to express the bladder because that still needs to be done. Finally, he had me running in a squat behind him holding his hind legs, while he went about exploring the garden area of the hospital. My legs are very sore, but it was worth seeing him explore and behave like a cat.

That's amazing news! I bet he makes a full recovery! Keep up the good work! If he keeps it up he will be back to normal in no time! Any news on the MRI happening sooner? Unless there is a medical reason u can't buy him some kitty treats and see what he will do. The aren't really the best for them but my kitties will trample each other over temptations lol. So glad he's getting better.
I also thought about buying him some treats. Even if they are not the best food for them, I think they would really serve a purpose in this case.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
O how wonderful he got to be a kitty! U are doing a great job! Keep it up, and that's wonderful progress if he goes at all in the litter box! He's quite the kitten it seems

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
MRI done. They found the area where the damage is, but I have to wait for the neurologist to get any diagnosis in two to three days.

They called me to ask if I would be willing to pay for two MRIs because they thought they would need two. One towards the middle of the spine, one towards the tail. My husband was about to do the online payment when they called again that one had been enough. They found the lesion.

Now I just hope it can be healed. Please send good vibes for him!!!

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow good news! And at half the cost!

Love this thread! Gives me hope...now we pray for a healing of that lesion! I personally am planning to see a video of him running through the house come summer!

Please keep us in the loop!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sending vibes that your sweet baby kitten can be healed and live a normal life. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: