Paralyzed Stray Black Kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
krisrath11 krisrath11 , Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge on how to handle diaper rashes. I will definitely be asking more as I learn how to take care of this little one. Sadly, she does not hold her weight.

@kittychick, I appreciate the links, I need all the information I can find.

sabian sabian , yes, I would also be in jail for doing the exact same thing to whomever did this. I try not to think about it because it really makes my blood boil.

Now, on to developments. Monday evening my husband and I went to pick her up from her original vet. He gave us a copy of her medical records, which was just a couple paragraphs long and a cd with a copy of the x-rays they had done. As soon as we got her home, we gave her a much needed bath. She reeked of urine and was covered in fleas. The vet did not bother to get her clean. :argh:

We spent most of Tuesday traveling and we finally made it to the new vet hospital. I was disappointed about the vet who saw her. I am going back tomorrow and talk to another vet who has treated one of my dogs. I think she is much better. First things first, they now again think it is a he, but not really sure. He/she is very sore in that area and it is really hard to tell if it is male or female.It really does not matter to me. Blood work was done for leukemia, feline AIDS, and parasites. She has parasites, is anemic and is negative for both leukemia and feline AIDS. In terms of her paralysis, this particular vet is not optimistic. She says the kitten has lost "propioception", the sense of where here body parts go and how to use them. She thinks it is now a chronic problem, that the trauma happened too long ago and that too much muscle has been lost, but I insisted on having the neurologist see him/her, and I will go back tomorrow to check on this. I really hope the neurologist can squeeze her in, otherwise we have to wait until the 15th of December for an appointment. This is why I want to be there tomorrow and push a little bit.

The vet said she is going to wait for the neurologist before she prescribes any specific treatment. Right now he/she is being treated with gabapentin, vitamins, and little else. The vet would not prescribe pain or anti-inflammatory medication because she says it is no longer needed. She also (finally!) expressed the bladder and said she could teach me how to do it, if needed. The kitten has feeling in the hind legs, and the vet found that the anal sphincter works, so now she wants to see if maybe he/she is urinating like she is because she does not have a litter box, so they set her up with a litterbox to check. It seems that, worst case scenario, this will be a wheelchair cat and I have no problem dealing with that for the next twenty years or so. This baby is worth it. Still, I will continue to insist and see if some recovery is possible. Also, they are finally doing something about her diaper rash.

I also need to talk to her original rescuers because, technically, they are the "owners" but I really don't think they are up to the task. They haven't even called to ask about what the new vet said and also they have small children in their home and I am afraid about how rough they could be with the kitten. I don't want to sound judgy or to mean that I am the ideal person to keep him/her, but both my husband and me are ready to stand by this kitten for as long as he/she needs us.

As for the name, he/she has been named Blackie temporarily, for her medical records, but that name needs to be changed for something more meaningful.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad she found u! Or he lol. Anywho, prepare for the worst but hope for the best of coarse. The feeling makes me have optimism however that's quite the disaster. I would certainly give her a box. How old is she about? The younger the easier on this, but many people have situations like this in older cats who have accidents. Lots of kitties get around with limbs that do not work and they can do everything any other cat can including climb a cat tree! Yeah, it's pretty amazing to watch, and u feel so proud of them. If u can get a box, and see if she tries to use it. Likely the outcome won't be the best as lots of them use it but it ends up being a disaster all over the floor. Then u can just have the never changing litter lol. She's home with u right? If so I suggest covering anything around the litter box and probably in her area that u do not want pee on as it's the worst to get out. Then watch her for awhile and see what happens. If they don't think she will change then please do not freak and cage her as so called fosters and rescues do to them so often. Watch her, give her a room preferably and let her go. She will learn and quickly and be the most normal kitty that drags along lol. O, they make drag bags, and fleece pants for them if she doesn't get better put those on when she isn't running her car into your leg for attention lol. Please update often as I soooo want to know what happens with her or him! I'll help u all I can, just remember every time u feel like u can't that it will get easier I promise! It seems really hard at first and then one day u will be like dang, that wasn't so bad. My thread help with pregnant kitty is all about one of my diaper babies from before birth (his mom was pg at rescue) to now even as I update it almost a year later. I used to freak out terribly.

Good luck tomorrow and let every one know what happens!

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
"...both my husband and me are ready to stand by this kitten for as long as he/she needs us."
This more than anything proves that you ARE the ideal person to care for this kitten. I, too, am skeptical about the original "owners" being up to the task of caring for this kitty, especially since they aren't even concerned with the developments in the recovery. Also, considering that they went out of touch for days with no cell phone, (and didn't even think to call,) have young kids, and are too busy to check up on the kitten, their lifestyle might be too hectic to benefit the kitten. I think you should keep him / her since you're bonding so quickly!

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
"...both my husband and me are ready to stand by this kitten for as long as he/she needs us."
This more than anything proves that you ARE the ideal person to care for this kitten. I, too, am skeptical about the original "owners" being up to the task of caring for this kitty, especially since they aren't even concerned with the developments in the recovery. Also, considering that they went out of touch for days with no cell phone, (and didn't even think to call,) have young kids, and are too busy to check up on the kitten, their lifestyle might be too hectic to benefit the kitten. I think you should keep him / her since you're bonding so quickly!
Agree 100% with that!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that you and your husband are the ideal caretakers for this kitten. It's wonderful that you are able to provide her with the best veterinary care possible.

Is she at home with you now, or at the clinic? Does she have any independent mobility at all? Is she still on an IV? I suspect that once she's ready for discharge, she will make more progress in your home. If you can give her a room of her own, with a tiny, shallow litter box and and have dry food available 24/7 as well as canned food a few times a day, I bet she would make wonderful progress. I can't imagine her getting stronger and gaining independence as long as she is in a diaper and confined in a cage. This is only my opinion though, and of course you need to weigh seriously what the vet says. Cats are amazing in their ability to adapt and find a way to survive with their disabilities. I have no idea how the kitten I took in had survived outside all those months with a broken leg and bullet lodged in her pelvis, but she did. So there is a lot of hope for your kitty. I, too, thought when reading this story that if she is female, you might name her Hope.

Last edited:

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
krisrath11 krisrath11 , she is about three months old, so pretty young. Thank you so much for offering your help, I will definitely need it as I learn the ins and outs of caring for Blackie. He/she is so sweet and just wants to be held and curl up in my lap to sleep. Right now, Blackie drags her behind on the floor with his legs splayed forward. I really don't know what type of aid would be best, but I have to say I know nothing about cat wheelchairs or other mobility aids.

msaimee msaimee , Right now she stayed in the hospital. They told me it is not really necessary, but it was preferable since I am just moving to this city and I still don't have my own place. I am just crashing in the bedroom of my friends' daughter, so I could not take her with me. I am doing my best to find a temporary apartment where I could have her/him with me, otherwise she might go back with my husband this weekend, he is staying behind while I get settled here, so we can move all our cats and dogs. It is a bit hectic and stressful, but we will get through it, one way or another.

I just spoke with the original rescuers, they said they can't take care of a special needs cats, so it looks like Blackie will stay with me. I need to go back to the hospital and see if the neurologist can squeeze her in, so we don't have to wait until the 15th.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that she will make better progress at home with you and your husband.

As she is so young, it is very likely that her nerves will regain feeling and she will develop strength in her back end as she grows.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm crying as I read this thread. How horrible can a human be to have done such a thing. That poor, sweet, darling kitten, who was born healthy, now with a possible life-long disability. Totally heart-breaking. :sniffle:

So, so glad, however, that you saw that Facebook posting and came to the baby's rescue. Thank you for being Blackie's guardian angel. :catlove:

Please keep us updated on his/her progress. :redheartpump:

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was thinking about this, and u can probably get a cart for her back end however there's also the fact that being a cat they like to climb so most likely she will do without it most of the time. Go to this website handicappedpets.net
They have forums and there's a lady by bendymom that has lots of special kitties I know, and there's lots of ppl who could likely help u more with that. Is she has feeling then maybe the chances are higher of her walking again. If not then she can live a great life still. O I would get her with your husband if possible as soon as u can so she can start learning. I would look around your area, are u in L.A.? Or am I confused? And find a rescue that does things like that and they may be able to help or at least give more info. Heck I still freak when one of my special needs babies falls, so be prepared for lots of heart attacks!

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for being so supportive. From the bottom of my heart, thanks! It makes this whole thing a lot easier.

krisrath11 krisrath11 , thank you for the link, it is really useful.

To everyone, finally we know. It is a boy!!! He has been beeen bathed, so he is flea free. We are waiting for the neurologist to see him today. Most likely they will need more x-rays and a magnetic resonance exam, but from what I've been told, the neurologist is not optimistic. We will see. The picture is from today.
15125792546221247718569.jpg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sending vibes for good news from the test results for your boy. :vibes::vibes::vibes: And remember, both humans and cats defy the odds every day. :catrub:

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
O I do hope u get good news. Thank goodness he's finally clean and no fleas. I can't believe they didn't give him a drop of revolution for the fleas. Now he can get a new name if i want. I have an all black named Merlin bcz he's a kitty wizard lol, and he's got giant greens. He needs a tough name cause he's definitely a fighter! Let us know what the neurologist says. Good luck!

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tomorrow I will go back to get the results from the x-rays. Preliminarily, I've been told there are no broken bones and nothing visibly amiss on the x-rays. This is why tomorrow they will try to squeeze him in for a magnetic resonance imaging test, so that they can see the soft tissues. The neurologist thinks it is a problem with his spinal cord, so that's why he is not optimistic. Plus, he says that too much time has elapsed since the original injury. I've been told that treatment should begin within hours of the trauma, and in this case it has been at least a week.

They want to do the imaging test to see if surgery is an option. If not, there is little to be done.

I am still clinging to hope. Today he tried to hunt a fly, and meowed loudly when another dog was served his meal, even though Blackie had just finished eating his. I see him so alive, so curious, and so hungry that I will keep on trying to help him recover. My main concern is with offering him quality of life, no matter if he walks or not, but hopefully he will recover. I just do not know how to handle him not controlling his sphincters because that makes it hard to keep him clean and with healthy skin in his behind. I think if I can manage that, we can figure out whether a wheelchair or some other aid is best for him.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He sounds like he is doing well! Even if he can' walk it can be managed. Katniss still gets terrible diaper rash, and I've had her for like 6 months I would say. I am literally just getting it under control bcz they are all so different and hers got BAD after an impaction from her spay (be lucky he is a he!). Hers was just straight baking soda and bladder expression and it is almost gone. Bob is completely different so just try. Once u get an answer tomorrow immediately ask for the cortisone and b 12 shot! It is amazing, and it is only temporary bit it will help and get u about 24 hrs to manage something. Unless medically there is a reason they won't then push it if they refuse. I asked with bob, they refused. I took him to the vet who suggested and it was fine by morning. Keep in mind that katniss it helped but did not take it completely away. It also took 2 times to keep bob healed and he hasn' had one in months. I totally forgot what else I was going to tell u lol. If i remember I'll post in another lol. He's still at the vet? Is your husband taking him home this weekend?

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
krisrath11 krisrath11 , yes, he is still hospitalized. He will probably be coming home tomorrow after the imaging test, if they manage to squeeze him in. More likely, he'll come home on Friday and he will be cared for by my husband in the coming weeks, as I try to find us a new home that is suitable for our cats and dogs.

I will make sure to ask for the cortisone and B-12 shot and see what they say.

By the way, he has become the star of the vet hospital. Everybody wants to hold him and scratch his chin :purr:. But he is also showing his temper! He hissed at every single dog that passed by and even bit me when I made the mistake of not knowing when to stop petting him!

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy you're going to keep him! He's a fighter, and I hope his recovery progresses further than the current estimation. Even if not, it's so amazing in and of itself that you two found each other, and that he's getting the treatment he needs. I know moving can be super stressful, and with vet appointments on top of that, but you seem like a fighter, too! Wishing both of you the best!

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awe, poor guy. Being locked up like that is stressful anyway for an animal let alone one that already has things going on. Hopefully u can find a place soon as I would hate being in between as well, and then he can start getting settled in with u all. Keep in mind u don' know what happened to him before in his short and obviously terrible time so he may habe some dog experience. I bet he calms down once he's in a house. Just be slow on introductions as he's probably feeling like food honestly. Hubby has a room the little guy can go in away from the others for awhile right? Doesn't matter how big or where, just that he gets his own space. Hopefully one of your other pets and him take to each other well so he feels more safe. I have a cat who loves everyone which helps, and my 2 boys like the pit bulls lol (that' funny bcz bob freaks papa out, and his brother humps sugar and is a love biter). One of my diaper babies has no friends and I think she wants some sometimes but she's always mean. Merlin will try and love her still but she isn' even nice to him mos of the time. O I'm nervous about your possible appointment today. I hope he gets in and that there's a chance or recovery! Give him loves for me!

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No luck with the magnetic resonance today. We will have to wait until Tuesday and then it takes about 48 hrs. to get the results. He will stay in the hospital until then and we will have to find someone to care for him from Tuesday until Friday, so I can take him back to my husband as soon as I get off from work. Far from an ideal situation, but is all I can do.

We are looking to see if my In-laws, who live relatively close by, could care for him until Friday, if not we will ask one of my husband's cousins, who happens to be a vet. Worst case scenario we will have to find a cat boarding place, as much as I would hate that.:( It really sucks not having a place to live already in place, that would solve everything.