Paprika, Safe For Cats To Eat?

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I took a bag of kettle cooked BBQ potato chips to my room to eat, which is also where Terra spends most of her time. She is unusually respectful of my food, but she is also the official People Food Inspector of the ouse, and stuck her nose in the bag to inspect it, but didn’t steal any. She did, however, look at me with the expectation that I would share. Not certain of any adverse effects it might have, I withheld them, but Terra is a sneaky, wiley, and crafty kitty, so she came up to me to smell my breath, as she often does, and when I let her, she gave me a kiss on my lower lip, which still had some seasoning left over from the chips

If I ever gave Terra her very own BBQ potato chip to lick clean, would the paprika in it harm her? Come to think of it, doesn’t the seasoning contain trace amounts of onion?

No, I don’t routinely give Terra people food, but every once in a while, I’ll give her a little something, like a piece of cooked chicken, a piece of bread to lick, or her favorite, a fingernail’s worth of vanilla ice cream. It ensures a happy kitty who respects my food and doesn’t try to steal it.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The chips likely contain onion and garlic which are both bad for our kitties. While a little won't hurt them, their bodies don't process out the bad stuff quickly so it can build up over time to dangerous levels. It's better to avoid the risk and not share your chips with her. She likely is going for the potato aspect, which some cats like, over the seasonings anyways. Some cats do like to steal a few bites of human food but it is best to stick to those that are 100% safe like boiled chicken, eggs, etc.