Panther has a broken femer!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol! I saw that earlier, but of course, didn't have time to watch it. Will have to chk it out later. 😊

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Morning everyone. Well, Panther woke me up before 3:00 this morning! 😑 So had to go in, so he wouldn't wake my upstairs neighbor, whose rm is above. He had pooped, so think he was letting me know...that's usually the case. Lol. So scooped & settled on the air mattress to go bk to sleep. Woke up at 8, & fed both of them. Of course Honey was waiting.
After breakfast, I put a Winnie the Pooh movie on, thinking he'd watch it, but we both just dozed. Got up, put the comfort zone diffuser out in the living room, & covered the tree w/ a sheet. 🤞 Going to close my bdrm door, & finally let him out into the house.
He had his meds at about 10:40, so we'll see how he does...... I'll try to record to post. 👍

well...he's nice & quiet now that he's had his med. So I am going to wait a little while before letting him out if the rm. I may lay bk down a little too. Probably let him out around 1:00 or so. Then, hopefully he'll have all afternoon & evening to tire himself out, & 🤞🙏 he sleeps through the night, since I go bk to work tomorrow! It's my busier WK too!

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Kelly, Panther looks so good! He is getting around excellently!! He really is... Awesome job as his Kitty Nurse...

His progress is really astounding me.. Panther has adapted very well to his new physical disability..I am really amazed at how fast this has happened.

I know it was so rough for you, but looking at him move around, well...... it is a testament to YOU...

Unfortunately now the really difficult part begins.. training him to be an indoors kitty~~ especially when he sees Honey... He may get a bit crazed..

I think a wand toy, used gently, on the floor could possibly help distract him...and perhaps a tiny bit of catnip spray.... It would also help him become more accustomed to life as a tripod... and build up some muscles..... Just a suggestion....

I now you are aware of this; but be very careful when you go out, and when you feed Honey... I mean it..
The first year I had Artie, I had a balcony with a sliding door. I cannot tell you how many times, he snuck through my legs, to escape to the balcony.. Yes, I actually had to really watch where he was before I opened the door...

You may want to think of at least getting a collar and leash, temporarily, until he complete gets a bit more accustomed to his 'new' indoor life.

I had to do that for Artie.. I put the collar and leash on him, when I knew I would be going in and out; although he hated the collar, he tolerated it, if it meant he could go outside... the next year, he was afraid to go out...

((((HUGS)))))))) :redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's doing very well on his three legs! Well done!

Let him look out the slider all he wants. It's cat TV. My two, who are strictly indoor kitties, love to look out my front door and the slider in the back. I had to put pet screen on the front screen door, though, because Mingo went straight through it one night after a strange cat.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@ artiemom, Thank you so much Cindy. I appreciate that! It's all out of love.🥰
Yes, I am extra vigalant when it comes to being careful to keep him in. Angel slipped out a couple times after being indoors only, but I was quick & grabbed him in front of me. When I've had to keep Panther in before, I literally sat sideways in front of the door, ( my body blocking it), so I could watch him, & not give any room for him to slip out, by only opening the door just enough to slip her bowl out. But, I can always put him in a room for that few seconds too. Trust me, I'm not taking any chances!!
In fact, I'm always amazed at how many cats that got out & are missing on the nextdoor app. I know accident's happen, but, I just don't know how people aren't more careful, thinking of that when coming & going. Coming in the door, I'd always have my shin in front of the door, just cracking it open, not leaving any space for them to get out, blocking w/ my leg, & if they're close, extending it on my way in to shoo them bk, saying, " back, back, back."

DreamerRose DreamerRose , Yeah, I won't be able to even have the door open w/ screen shut for air when it cools off, because my screen was torn in a few places when I moved in, so it finally got replaced, but it wasn't quite the right size. There's about a 1/4" gab up top, & doesn't lock. Fit is wrong. Landlord realized this when he brought it, said he'd get right size one, but never did... It was ok because was only me, & was only option when I'm here, of course. But then the kitties were around a lot more, & didn't want the landlord coming around & saying anything, so I let it go. Honestly, I'd be afraid Panther would try to go out it, or tare it anyway. It sucks, but is what it is now.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart breaks for these two.... They do not understand why they are being kept apart...
I cannot imagine how you are feeling....

Just thoughts: is there a screen door, so they can sniff each other? on occasion? I mean, it may end up being torn by claws.. but.....

And---I hate to add, but does Honey have fleas... You would definitely want to keep her away from Panther... It seems as if she really wants to come in----as much as Panther wants to go out....

Poor babies...

yes, now it is time to ask Jcatbird Jcatbird for some tips... just my opinion....

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, it's the whole frame itself, so then door wouldn't be able to open & close. It's just the wrong size.
Yes, she definitely has fleas! She's constantly scratching & grooming. Especially here in NC, they're bad!!
I love her too, but honestly, I can't have 2. (& Certainly can't afford 2, except for food).
..and have tried w/ her for almost a yr & 1/2, & no progress w/ me. I think she's always been ferral.
I'm not even supposed to have one. I'm trying to keep him secret until after I resign my lease in March. I'm going to try to get around extra cost by claiming him as an Emotional support animal. ( A lady on nextdoor suggested). To have a pet would cost me an extra $25/ mo. + A $200 nonrefundable deposit!! Rediculous!!
My rent didn't go up the first time I resigned this yr. But because HOA went up, I know he said it would this next time. My neighbor who has same landlord, said when hers has gone up it was $30. ( They always did a 2 yr, but that wasn't offered last yr). So I think that's how much it will go up, which is a lot!
So, that's why I'm going to wait to do the paperwork after I resign in March. This way he doesn't go up even more, thinking that's how he'll get the extra money he can't legally charge me for an emotional support animal.
So prayers on that for sure!!!!!! 🙏🙏🙏🙏
I can't afford anywhere else. In this beach & college coastal town rent is rediculous!!
It took me 20 months to find this! ( Had to live w/ my parents during that time). The only reason I found this, is my cousin knew the landlord from church, & was doing some painting in here. (& Most of these condos are a lot more than I'm paying, but have been redone. I just have new paint & floors)
It's really tough to make it here on your own, unless you make lots of money & or have no debt. Just rent takes almost half of my income, & I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To a great extent, I have socialized most of the ferals , to some degree, before bringing them in. Perhaps you know someone who could take her if that were accomplished later. First things first though. Get through this. There are a great deal more feral cat workers in your state now than ever before. If she is not spayed, there is a chance of finding some help as a start when you feel you can deal with that. Just let me know and I will do what I can to help Honey. Right now, you could try giving her a capstar to relieve her of fleas for a short time. I hide them in a tiny pile of cooked, crisp bacon. They are bitter so the grease from the bacon helps a lot. When you are with Panther at the vet, you could ask if there is some better way to accomplish that. I know you have a lot on your plate right now but maybe you can start thinking about options for Honey. If you can have a decorative bench outside your door that has storage underneath, it could serve as a secret shelter. A simple hole cut in one side served as an entrance. Someone here came up with that for ferals at her door. She is in similar circumstances.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To a great extent, I have socialized most of the ferals , to some degree, before bringing them in. Perhaps you know someone who could take her if that were accomplished later. First things first though. Get through this. There are a great deal more feral cat workers in your state now than ever before. If she is not spayed, there is a chance of finding some help as a start when you feel you can deal with that. Just let me know and I will do what I can to help Honey. Right now, you could try giving her a capstar to relieve her of fleas for a short time. I hide them in a tiny pile of cooked, crisp bacon. They are bitter so the grease from the bacon helps a lot. When you are with Panther at the vet, you could ask if there is some better way to accomplish that. I know you have a lot on your plate right now but maybe you can start thinking about options for Honey. If you can have a decorative bench outside your door that has storage underneath, it could serve as a secret shelter. A simple hole cut in one side served as an entrance. Someone here came up with that for ferals at her door. She is in similar circumstances.
Thanks. Yes, she's already been TNR'd. I noticed/ looked for that when I first saw her. I've thought about the tablet for her, but she'd have to have one every month, & think it's only for adult fleas(?) So that's not really a good option for her. She does have shelter. Last Christmas I bought them a dog house on amazon, along w/ a heated pet pad for outside to put in it. I also went to good will & bought an afghan & fleece blanket for in there, as well as another old blanket I had. I made it really cozy for them.
They only used it when it was cold out, & at night. I'd hoped they'd use it when it rained too, but never have. Don't know where she goes. There's an abandoned house that was damage in a hurricane behind the fence behind me. A garage is also there, as well as 3-4 abandoned cars & truck, so she could go anywhere. 🤷
I already told the vet about her, & she said that sometimes that's the best/ all you can do, is feed them. That she had the same experience with farm cats.

Here's the house last Christmas, I put a tarp around it, so cool air wouldn't get in under the roof overhang, because it all just snaps together. I also had my dad cut a window out in the back & put plexiglass in, so I could see them from inside. 😊
IMG_20201223_172635808.jpg

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Finally got to watch the videos with baby in bed. I can just hear Panther whining "Moooom, you won't let me do anything fun. You're ruining my life!!!"

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Morning ladies! Well, he woke me up at 4 this morning 😑 ("the poop alarm again) Have a beach condo to clean today. Hopefully will try to get a nap this afternoon. Only got 6 hrs of sleep. I'm definitely a person who needs 8! ( Still at 52) Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less, but definitely more than 6! He wasn't very interested in breakfast, so I gave him some of the appetite stim.
Thinking of just giving a 1/2 a gabapentin before I leave, so can give other 1/2 when I get hm, in hopes for a nap....
Oh, & he's jumping up on my ottoman in front of the chair w/ no problem! 😊

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your place is beautiful! And I would certainly think you could claim Panther as emotional support. He IS, after all ;)
Honey is so gorgeous. She belongs in a loving permanent home with every luxury. I understand 100% about finances. I pinch every penny twice before I let it go. Life costs more all the time. It's not easy. My two cats' food and supplies cost more than my own. But it's understandable as I'm a 99.9% vegetarian (tuna once in awhile, chicken even less) and live very frugally.
I need 8 hrs. too, but the last time I got 8 hrs. was...when???:sigh: I think when I was a little kid.
Hoping Panther gets along well on the 12-hour schedule. He's making such great progress! The videos are wonderful.
Honey's little cat cabin is so cute! Very glad she has those things to protect her and keep her comfortable.
I've always used Advantage flea topical. It's the only one I trust.
You might want to take a look at joyofcats.com -- it's an online friend's blog. She has her indoor cat family and also cares for outdoor cats. Lots of great tips and videos.
IMG_0226.JPG

L-R: Safi Kitten, The Talker, and Nila in the barn compound, in the Mojave, in happier times. Talker looked a lot like Panther!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@terasgirl06, Thanks!
The couch was something I got with the last stimulus chk. I was due for a new one! I love having a mantle to decorate for holidays now. 😊
My bigger table & chairs, I got from someone on nextdoor...FOR FREE!!

Panther seems to be doing fine on the ev 12 hrs w/ the gabapentin. The Dr. Said he won't need anymore once we're out. I did just give him 1/2 before work, & he's been fine, so didn't give the other 1/2 when I got home.

I finally opened my room to him, & of course, he went right under the bed. He's there now.
One of his beds is under there.
I'm thinking about letting him stay there tonight, in hopes he doesn't wake me. I've GOT to get sleep tonight. I've got my biggest, hardest house tomorrow!
I'm also wondering about letting him stay out tomorrow while I go to work. When I got home today, he had scratched the paint on the bottom of the bedroom door! So he was crying to get out sometime after I left.
I think he'd be ok, since his tree is covered, but I am a little nervous about it.
what do you guys think?? I would put the steps at the end of the bed, so he will use them, if he wants up there.

Yes, Honey is a pretty girl. I wish I could brush her so bad!! Yeah, I have always used Advantage multi, or Advantage II. (Except on Sammie, I ended up using Revolution on her, & that was good too).
I was using the Advantage II on Panther, & giving him heartgaurd, because mosquitoes are so bad here too.. I had one Advantage left, & had seen a couple of fleas in the house, & freaked me out, so put it on him last night!
I had used the vets best, I think it is, spray on the carpets, ( the one w/ clove in it, safe for people too), & vacuuming a lot! I just didn't want to take any chances of any cycles going on. Now that he's got that on, it should be ok/ no more. I was like, " Oh hell no!!"
The picture, that looks like a great space for the kitties.
Glad you liked the videos! 😸