Panther has a broken femer!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like that cat needs better living through chemical therapy. Ask your Veterinarian about a prescription of Gabapentin to keep him quiet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like that cat needs better living through chemical therapy. Ask your Veterinarian about a prescription of Gabapentin to keep him quiet.
I think that's what they may give once the patch comes off. Can't think straight right now.... whichever one is for pain. Think it also started with a G. .. I'll ask tomorrow.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that's what they may give once the patch comes off. Can't think straight right now.... whichever one is for pain. Think it also started with a G. .. I'll ask tomorrow.
Awww, he's so sweet! Glad he is eating pretty well and thank you for spending a lot of time with him as he goes through what must be quite an ordeal, no matter how wonderful his environment has been made for him and much love and good food he is getting.
I have a box in the master bedroom because Baby Su, who's 17 now, was having a few "accidents" and she goes several time in the night. Elvis likes that box, too, so he might also go during the night. I get up a couple of times in the night too, and I have insomnia, so sleep isn't something I get a lot of. So I'm pretty used to it being like this. A whole night's sleep sounds like such a luxurious thing!
Hoping the draining goes very well and that they are able to prescribe something for him if needed.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think when Sparkle got her tooth extractions, the gabapentin was to calm her down - I gave it to her before her follow up appointment - and there was a different painkiller. I don't remember the name.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I hope you are able to get more sleep tonight. :sleep: You need to keep up your energy so you can help Panther. :hugs: Good luck at the vet tomorrow. If you get a chance please keep us updated on both yourself and your black beauty, Panther. :purr:

Stargirl0623

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sending love to you and Panther!

I'm also nursing a cat through after an intense surgery right now. If you ever need to vent about the difficulty of having them crated, dealing with toilet accidents at all hours, and sleep deprivation, you can reach out at any time!

From my recent experience, my boy on Gabapentin did help a lot with keeping him calm in the crate, but it does take an hour or two to kick in after you administer it. I'd also be wary of leaving him unattended with a pee pad while he's having that anxiety about the crate; mine did a pretty good job chewing one up when he was throwing a fit and I had to watch for a couple days to make sure anything he ingested came out okay.

Stay strong! The first few days are absolutely brutal, and you're doing a fantastic job. This cat is so very blessed to have you!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just sending love and hugs to you and Panther.
:redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::petcat: 🤗🤗🤗
Sending love to you and Panther!

I'm also nursing a cat through after an intense surgery right now. If you ever need to vent about the difficulty of having them crated, dealing with toilet accidents at all hours, and sleep deprivation, you can reach out at any time!

From my recent experience, my boy on Gabapentin did help a lot with keeping him calm in the crate, but it does take an hour or two to kick in after you administer it. I'd also be wary of leaving him unattended with a pee pad while he's having that anxiety about the crate; mine did a pretty good job chewing one up when he was throwing a fit and I had to watch for a couple days to make sure anything he ingested came out okay.

Stay strong! The first few days are absolutely brutal, and you're doing a fantastic job. This cat is so very blessed to have you!
Thank you guys all so much ❣❣
Yes, he's been ok w/ the pass, not a chewer, thank goodness. Again, to make it easier, I'm just going to copy & paste the text update that I just sent on my mom & sisters text thread. ...thanks again to all of you, for all of your support. Wish I could hug everyone of you!!! ❤

Went to bed at 10:30, so almost asleep by 11, didn't wake me up till 5:45. Peed towel on bed, ( but keeping pee pad under.) Got food to see if eat, only a few licks.. so laid w/ him for almost an hr until had to get up for appt. Dr. Jenn tried to drain, but wasn't really any puss, just blood, so thinks it's just the swelling. Said to keep the Mon appt so Dr. Williams can look at it. She gave me some transdermal appetite stim, so that gets rubbed on inside of his ear. Also some gabapentin to help him calm down, & also fir pain. The fentanyl patch shld be done by Mon. So will probably come hm w/ more pain meds, instead of patch. Dr. Jennifer said she'd put him on Buprophin. (Sp?) So we'll see on Mon... trying to keep him in crate more, because he was trying to scratch at door. He cried for a while when got hm & in there, but has finally settled down. They gave him a gabapentin when there around 9:30 so took about an hr. Wanted to leave bthrm door open for him, since in crate, so see out bdrm window, but was crying to much, so had to close door , Lft open a cpl inches.
He needs the gabapentin to chill him out, because he'll be in crate for about 4-5 hrs when I go bk to work...
I ignored the last few cries, so he'd settle. Started laundry. Going to run to HT for a few things, & some baby food to hopefully get him eating.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys all so much ❣❣
Yes, he's been ok w/ the pass, not a chewer, thank goodness. Again, to make it easier, I'm just going to copy & paste the text update that I just sent on my mom & sisters text thread. ...thanks again to all of you, for all of your support. Wish I could hug everyone of you!!! ❤

Went to bed at 10:30, so almost asleep by 11, didn't wake me up till 5:45. Peed towel on bed, ( but keeping pee pad under.) Got food to see if eat, only a few licks.. so laid w/ him for almost an hr until had to get up for appt. Dr. Jenn tried to drain, but wasn't really any puss, just blood, so thinks it's just the swelling. Said to keep the Mon appt so Dr. Williams can look at it. She gave me some transdermal appetite stim, so that gets rubbed on inside of his ear. Also some gabapentin to help him calm down, & also fir pain. The fentanyl patch shld be done by Mon. So will probably come hm w/ more pain meds, instead of patch. Dr. Jennifer said she'd put him on Buprophin. (Sp?) So we'll see on Mon... trying to keep him in crate more, because he was trying to scratch at door. He cried for a while when got hm & in there, but has finally settled down. They gave him a gabapentin when there around 9:30 so took about an hr. Wanted to leave bthrm door open for him, since in crate, so see out bdrm window, but was crying to much, so had to close door , Lft open a cpl inches.
He needs the gabapentin to chill him out, because he'll be in crate for about 4-5 hrs when I go bk to work...
I ignored the last few cries, so he'd settle. Started laundry. Going to run to HT for a few things, & some baby food to hopefully get him eating.
Sounds like things are going pretty well! *PRAYERS* for that to continue. He undoubtedly misses you when you're working. He's got a good array of meds now to help him feel better and relax. Keep us posted!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, tried the chicken & chkn broth...no interest other than about 2 licks, so finally got the sm 3 ml syringe & gave him 3 of those. He growled & didn't like it, but at this point, needed to just get some food in him. I left the bowl in the crate,but don't think he'll eat it. I even offered some dry kitten food, but he wasn't interested.
My friend at the natural food pet store gave me about every kind of sample bags!
They put the transdermal appetite stimulant on his ear at the vets, so thought it'd be working better by now.... Can't do it again until tomorrow morning. I've got a headache, & losing steam, but still in the middle of laundry.... Once it's all done, Honey will probably be here to be fed, then I will try to offer him something else. Probably the trout. Then try to lay down for a bit myself.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are doing a great job for your little boy! These first few days are rough, IMO partly because of the meds necessary at this point in recovery. When my GSD had his leg amputated, he had no appetite until the fetanyl patch was removed....which is not too far in the future for you. Fetanyl can have a lot of side effects and decreased appetite can be one.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are doing a great job for your little boy! These first few days are rough, IMO partly because of the meds necessary at this point in recovery. When my GSD had his leg amputated, he had no appetite until the fetanyl patch was removed....which is not too far in the future for you. Fetanyl can have a lot of side effects and decreased appetite can be one.
Thank you!! Yes, that's what the vet, & my friend who works at one for 15 yrs told me.
The vet will take it off at Mon's appt, because it was put on Thurs. I just want to make sure he's getting enough food, so that doesn't become an issue. I know kitties can't go to long w/o food, or enough food.
I'm going to offer the beyond trout & catfish for dinner, so 🤞🤞🙏🙏❣

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry this has happened to you and Panther. I just saw the thread for the first time. You have gone beyond yourself to help Panther, and he is so lucky to have you to take care of him. Take care of yourself and get some rest. Things will start getting easier soon. :grouphug:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry this has happened to you and Panther. I just saw the thread for the first time. You have gone beyond yourself to help Panther, and he is so lucky to have you to take care of him. Take care of yourself and get some rest. Things will start getting easier soon. :grouphug:
Thank you. Yes, I know, I really feel like I just can't catch a break with kitties!! Something major with every single one now!
You remember, Angel, lymphoma,
Sammie, carsanoma, & now this!

I mean.........:thud:Especially not being financially equipt for any of it!! Being a one income household is tough! It took me almost 2 yrs to find a place I could afford, & I'm not even supposed to have pets, so that's another bk of my brain stress. I'd gladly pay the non refundable $200 .. basically free $! But an extra $25/ mo. On top of that. I know my rent is going up when I resign in March, & don't want that to be/ can't afford another $25 on top of that! Considering around that time, telling them & paying, & asking if the increase can also be for pet, not more on top of, but don't know if they'll do that, & afraid to say anything.🤷 If so, that'd be $50 extra/ month!! (& There's only one client I can go up on price with that's due after a few yrs & some Reno's that increased my work some, but are my best clients, supportive, so only plan to increase by like $15 because they are biweekly, & on long months, are sometimes 3xs & want to keep them!)