Panther has a broken femer!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went back to read the report that Panther's leg had to be amputated. Honey will be okay when you have more time to time to play with her. Give her an object that still has Panther's smell on it.
Yes, I already did that since WK one. I put my shirt I had on after holding him outside the door for a few mins, so she could smell it, & hopefully understand that he's ok, & in here.... Did that twice. She doesn't really play. I've tried with her, to engage her in different ways. She's like..ummm, nope!
I've still tried to work with her, but she's not having it. Still won't take a treat from me. Still can't get to close, or pet her. I was telling the vet about her, & that it's almost been a yr & a 1/2, but she gets fed twice a day, & a towel on her chair, & now she'll have the "kitty crib" all to herself this yr. As soon as it cools off enough, I'll put the heated pet pad out there. She'll sleep in it then. They didn't go in it at all unless it was cold.
Still worth the $. The vet said, sometimes they've been feral so long/ all their lives, & that's all you can do.
Tonight, when we got home, she was at the glass doors waiting for dinner, so I took Panther over, because he was still in the carrier, & opened the door a little, so she could see & smell him. She looked at him for a min. Then I said, "see, he's ok.". Then shut the door before Panther got worked up.
This way, he got to see her too. ❤

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, all staples came out. She said it was fine, & those places were just stress sutures.
( Because the little booger had pulled out another one w/ a 1" scab attached, when I got hm & chkd him)
Said he could even go bk to reg litter.
Poor baby, he had his 3:00 gabapentin, & we both took some rescue remedy before leaving, & he was still shaking at the vets. ☹. I asked about his annual, & said that we should hold off while he's still healing, that maybe in a couple of months we'll do it.
They'll file an exemption w/ the state, so we can wait. Got home, & got him all settled.
( He tried to follow me out a few xs already!) But finally settled
. ❤
He chose the bed I thought he'd least chose. Maybe because it's across from the door. He's so tuckered out now. Gave him dinner when we got home. It's 6:40, & my stomachs been growing at me for a while, so I'm about to go fix something for me.
Oh, I also plugged in the comfort zone diffuser.
Ok, here are some pictures...
IMG_20211007_181834196.jpg
IMG_20211007_181949295~3.jpg
IMG_20211007_182013739~2.jpg
IMG_20211007_182021195~2.jpg

IMG_20211007_184800360_HDR.jpg

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, & they love him there, because Evey time we've gone back, the girls are like, "Panthers here!" Today, when we finished, the tech took him in the back, so everyone could see him, & how well he'd healed. I told him he was a ladies man! ❤ 😄
Even when one of the assistants came out to call another patient bk, she had to come over to say hi to him & ask how he was doing. 😊 I'm a proud momma!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, & they love him there, because Evey time we've gone back, the girls are like, "Panthers here!" Today, when we finished, the tech took him in the back, so everyone could see him, & how well he'd healed. I told him he was a ladies man! ❤ 😄
Even when one of the assistants came out to call another patient bk, she had to come over to say hi to him & ask how he was doing. 😊 I'm a proud momma!
Awww... sweet boy. Give him a hug from me. :petcat:And a kiss from Ruby. :winkcat:

Hope you both have a good night. :redheartpump:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww... sweet boy. Give him a hug from me. :petcat:And a kiss from Ruby. :winkcat:

Hope you both have a good night. :redheartpump:
I sure will. Thanks! Yes, HAD to clean up my bthrm before eating, so finally just made some eggs & toast. Now, Station 19 & Greys Anatomy! 😊 But... feel so bad, haven't really spent any time w/ him, just a little before & after work, having to get ready & go to appt, then all the getting him settled & cleaning up. So, think I'm going to watch TV on the laptop, so I can go lay with him. ❤😊

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
So happy Panther got his staples out and the vet techs swooned over him. :heartshape: The litter box looks absolutely perfect. He looks so cozy in the last pic beside you.😻 I'm sure Panther and you are tuckered out from your busy day. Sweet dreams! :zzzcat:

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kelly, you should have a much better day tomorrow now that Panther is in a comfortable bedroom without supervision. Except for being limited to bedrooms, his life is almost "the new normal" now.

How much longer will he need gabapentin and warm compresses?

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much longer will he need gabapentin and warm compresses?
I counted out the gabapentin, & we have enough through Mon. Morning. I'm a little nervous about that, because even on it, he has pawed at the door & cried. I'm just worried about how he's going to be at the glass door, when he is not allowed out anymore, & especially when Honey is out there..... He woke me up crying at 5;30 this morning, Gave him a few minutes to see if he'd stop & settle w/ no reaction from me, but he didn't, (& even though I don't want to train him that that's how he gets me) I had to go in, because I didn't want him to wake up the other girl ( who I really like) ,Elli, up.
because her bedroom is above. So laid in there with him until 7:30 when I had to get up.
He wasn't to interested in his breakfast, but needs to eat it, because it has the Dasaqiin we got yesterday in it. Got him to eat about a quarter of it. More nutritional yeast sprinkles.. hopefully he'll eat it later.

I forgot to ask about the compresses, so I'll call today & ask.
Oh, he decided he wanted to play a little at about 6:40 this morning, so gave him the kick-a- roo that's in there, & he bunny kicked a little 😊 I plan on putting one of his mice in there, & his little lizard he likes. I'm sure a lot of it is him going stir crazy, not playing, etc..
I am definitely trying to take a nap this afternoon!!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Kelly, I am so happy to hear this awesome news about Panther! He really loves you! I mean it...

The pictures are beautiful! I love seeing him cuddling with you. He feels safe and secure.. knows that he has love...

You ae such a good mama.. You really are...
His surgical site looks really good. Now, he has to heal and learn how to live life as a tripod. It will probably take a bit of time... trial, error, falls....

I think being an indoors only kitty will probably be the hardest thing for him to adjust to.. especially when Honey is outside. That is going to be difficult..

There should be some links in here, with tips on how to train a cat to be an indoors one..

Too bad about Honey. I have to agree with the Vet. The longer a cat is outdoors/feral, the more difficult it would be to house train one.. if ever.

Down the road, there is always the Feliway plug ins, and perhaps some Zyklene... just for anxiety.. until Panther gets more accustomed to being indoors.

Next year, you could perhaps harness train him. Just a thought.

Hearing that Panther wanted to play a bit, is awesome news! He feels better!! and lying on his surgical side, is also good news..

Things are going well... just as they should... Now you can relax a bit.. (((((HUGS))))))

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys. Yes, I do believe he's going to need something once he's out of the room, & realizes he is not going out...
SO, I decided since we just had enough gabapentin though Monday morning, that I'd cut his 3:00 dose in half. This way it's going bk to the original 12 hr dose, but still getting a half of one between. To help it stretch a little. He didn't eat much breakfast..think I already said that this morning... He hadn't touched it when I got home, so I fixed him some of the abound grain free turkey pate' ,& he still only ate about 1/3? & That was w/ coacsting from me...I think it's the Dasaqiin. It must not taste good. It says sprinkle on the bottle, so I opened the capsule & mixed it in w/ his nutritional yeast & L-lysine as well that he always gets. SO, I can try a pill pkt w/ them tomorrow, but it's a capsule, so 🤷 I may just have to pill him. I hate to do that though. I also noticed his area was shaking a little, so have the compress on him now. Gotta call & ask about that, but it can't hurt, if it helps him relax. The Dr said that it will do that. It's his muscles & nerves healing. 😕 It had stopped when we increased the gabapentin to ev. 8 hrs vs/ 12.
Will have to monitor that.

Thanks for the article link neely neely , I'll look at it ..one of these days, when I have time. Soon though. ( I'll have to!)
He was actually cleared to be in the house, as long as he was supervised. But...I'm not ready for that. I'm still to exsausted! Don't need his whining at the door to start & be another thing to deal with. Not sure when I'll let him out. It's just once I do, he's not going to want to go bk in. Maybe in a few days.
I still have to cover his tree. Forgot to ask about that. When it'd be ok again. Not for a while, I'm sure.

So I stopped at the Tuesday morning store.
If you have one, I'm sure you love it like me! I always come out w/ more that intended!
I went in to get pet waste bags for the litter box. I used to use grocery bags, but to many always end up having holes in them, so I was done w/ that! Plus, I use my own bags for groceries most of the time anyway.
Well, while in the pet Isle, I saw one of those 4 teared rings w/ the balls inside, & was only 11.99, so got it for him. ( & Of course, because it also matches our colors. Lol!)
He needed something to play with that would be low key for now. He loved it! He played a little while before dinner. I took a video & will link it below.

So much for a nap..per usual. To much to do. Put all the blankets that were in the bathroom in the wash. Now I've got the bthrm rugs in there. I still have my laundry to do tomorrow....😑. This cleaning lady needs a maid!! "I is tired!"

New video by Kelly R

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't used the appetite stimulant since Monday, but I did just put some on him. Hopefully he'll eat once it kicks in.
I guess I'll just have to try the Desaqin in a pill pkt, or pull him if that doesn't work. Then, hopefully he'll be back to eating normal again. 🤞🙏