Panleukopenia before booster

Luminita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 2 cats received the first vaccine and this week they are going to do the booster. But in the meantime, I received another cat at home ( unvaccinated) who was diagnosed with Panleukopenia today. In the last 2 weeks the 3 kittens have lived together, so it's too late to separate them now. The two kittens that received the vaccine do not appear to have symptoms of Panleukopenia but the unvaccinated one is severely affected with little chance of survival. I do not know if the booster is indicated in these conditions. Please help me with some advice.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am sorry that this has happened to you. Do you foster and is that how you got the sick kitten? Is anything being done for the sick kitten?

You need to talk to your vet about this as soon as possible, especially if he does not know about the recent arrival of the sick kitten.

What concerns me is that panleukopenia can occur in cats who are improperly vaccinated, which means specifically that they did not receive the booster. It can also affect fully vaccinated kittens and you did say that these cats at your house are all kittens.

I hope that the two who are not ill will not contract the virus. While it may be late in the game to think about separating them, I would if I were in this situation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Luminita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much for your answer. I live in a country where cats are rarely spayed and that is why many kittens are abandoned or thrown on the streets, especially females. I found the kitten near the house and being in the winter and very cold outside I put it in the house. The sick cat is already under treatment but is not hospitalized, I go with her to the vet every day. The panleukopenia test was positive. Healthy cats came in contact with the yellow foam during the night and used the same litter. It's too late to separate them now. It is already the fourth day since the disease started. I know I was wrong to put them in touch from the beginning. I talked to the vet and tomorrow I go with all the cats for control, it is possible that the two healthy ones will receive the booster. I will keep you updated with their evolution, I hope you learn something from my mistake and do not repeat it. Thanks!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are doing all you can, more than many people would do, you did not cause this to happen, and you have been very kind to try to help these cats. I think that you are on the right path with considering the booster for the others. Please keep us updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Luminita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today, Rhea, the kitten with panleukopenia, showed interest in food. She still doesn't eat alone, I feed her with a syringe, but she went alone to the food bowl, which seems like a good sign to me. It's better than the previous days. It would be a miracle to recover, but I hope she recovers. Kitten Luna received the booster on Wednesday. The vet found her in excellent condition and is now well. The bad news is that the tomcat Mars was found with a fever on Wednesday and tested positive for coronavirus. The blood tests came out pretty good and wonderfully, it didn't come out positive for panleukopenia, which is incredible. Does that mean the first dose of vaccine kept him from getting the disease? Another bad news is that Mars has started to have neurological problems, ataxia and generalized tremor. The vet believes that coronavirus caused him the Feline Infection Peritonitis (FIP) which is a very serious disease with a low life expectancy. Mars is now undergoing antiviral treatment, is feeling well and we hope to receive the booster next week as well. He is a cheerful cat, full of life and loving, I try to give him the best life until his illness gets worse. That's about the news. What is noteworthy is that the first dose of vaccine helped the 2 kittens-Luna and Mars- not get sick with panleukopenia, even if they live with a kitten infected with this virus. I will come back with details about their evolution.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for updating us. You are fighting a really tough battle, but have good news in the midst of all the stress that this is causing for all of you. Yes, one vaccine can provide immunity. It is less than is needed, but given that the purpose of vaccines is generally to teach the body how to fight the illness it is very possible that the single vaccine did help your kitty.

https://fipwarriors.com/

This website may help you with information about FIP.