Panicur And Roundworm

Cindyozzy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will a 3 day course of panicur get rid of roundworm and its larvae?
The medical coordinator at the rescue i foster with said if i give panicur to my kittens then they do not have to follow up with another roundworm treatment 2 weeks later. I have always heard that no matter what roundworm treatment you use, they must be treated again 2 weeks later. Is panicur the exception?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've never needed to use any de-wormers, but have always heard you need to do a couple doses to make sure you get not only the adults, but the larvae as well. Do you have a regular Vet you can simply call to ask that question of?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually the later treatment is to get any new ones that hatched. However, it seems that fenbendazole does kill worm eggs:
"Since cell division is also disturbed, worm egg production and development is also blocked by benzimidazoles, i.e. most of them also have an ovicidal effect."
https://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2512&Itemid=2785

So that might be right. I'd verify with a vet, of course, but since fenbendazole is off-label for cats in the US they may not be able to give a lot of info about it.