Panic attack in bereaved cat

Greenmyrtle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
STORY FIRST (I seem to need to tell šŸ’”) QUESTION BELOW.
Tragedy struck Monday when one of my pair of bonded tuxedos was predated. (Pippa and Suki: Pippa is gone) see photo attached for Pipa looking at camera, next to Suki with their friend Iris in the background.

Evidence at scene: quick release collar and Bluetooth Tile tracker dropped 40ā€™ apart along a grass road, and Pippa never returned. They are pictured attached.

I am heartsick of course and full of self recrimination for letting this overly bold and very tiny 12mth old out and about at night.

ive never had 2 bonded animals before and it has been truly magical. I expected them to have a happy decade together at least.

Our country cats here at my intentional community have lived their full lifespans for 40years, with just 1 predated age ~12 about 6y ago and another who got a raptor injury about 30y ago. Iā€™ve been here 20y. So I counted on cat-sense and lured Pippa ans Suki back for wet food at home nightly to keep them close. We are in bobcat, cayote habitat.

Pippa was too bold though. We always have females due to their smaller wandering range, and my cats prior + Suki stay close to the house. Pippa insisted on being out near the chicken coop 300f away and the collar was about 500f away near open meadow with good visibility from forest edge ā˜¹

Suki question:
Suki has been clingy, demanding of attention motion / pesky (of course). We have another 9yo cat Iris who bonded well w both kittens.

1. Suki is really testing Irisā€™ patience by trying to headbutt and face rub her constantly for affection (she headbutts Irisā€™ face the way a cat might headbut your leg before rubbing against it). Iris is getting pissy about it. Iā€™m worried that friendship may nosedive if Suki keeps trying to get her kitty love from Iris who doesnā€™t like that much in-ur-face-ness

2. this AM Suki spent time outside for first time since Pippa vanished (I was keeping her in at night ans itā€™s been too hot in the day). She camein crying, so I called her onto the bed.
She was huffing through her nose - behavior Iā€™ve seen when cats upset/annoyed or catching a scent: hnfff-hnfff-hnfff-hnff - then opened her mouth and it turned to panting with mouth pretty wide open (like a dog when itā€™s hot) but it was only about 75F. I saw it as hyperventilating.

I encouraged her to gently flop down by me and petted her very slowly to calm her. Then she moved to floor, flopped an her side, mouth still a little open w rapid breathing, then mouth closed, breathing still rapid, and she slowly calmed down. I got last part on video but I canā€™t attach video here.

I have never seen this kind of breathing in a cat. My projection is that she went outside, where they normally would have played together in the morning and the absence of Pippa hit her as a panic state.

has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Made me wonder if I should take her to vet and get a little anti-anxiety like they sometimes do when a spouse dies - just for the shock in the first Few weeks.

I get them both last Aug Pippa 8w & Sept Suki who was ~ a month older.Theyā€™ve been inseparable ever sinceā€¦ well they started sleeping independently of each other about 2months ago ā€¦ a tiny blessing for which Iā€™m grateful, that Suki was already used to sleeping apart. Mostly.

21CF5BF2-C737-4A47-9F14-553C0638207E.jpeg

C180C68D-A99F-4287-A615-A6B9874D52B1.jpeg

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. :redheartpump:

If she ran from the outside I'd think she was running as fast as she could to get inside. Fear of being alone and getting back to you quickly could be one reason. She might have been running for her life away from something chasing her. It's a good idea to keep her inside until you know more.

Here are articles on panting and stress. I hope they are helpful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Greenmyrtle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she didnā€™t run in. She just came in normally, and the panting didnā€™t start right away. She cried a bit, I called her onto the bed, the huffing started and built up to the ā€œhyperventilatingā€ - she didnā€™t come in panting. I donā€™t even know if she was outside - she came upstairs quite normally, but crying.