Pandora Syndrome?

noodleshouse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, my cat Noodles started trying to pee in his litter box every 5-10 minutes two nights ago. Each time, he would pee a few drops or nothing would come out. I immediately thought that he has a blockage so took him to the vet. After an exam and urinalysis, the vet said he was completely clean and there was no bacteria at all. She suggested that it might be stress induced from the hurricane last weekend (I live in Halifax and the wind actually blow up rocks strong enough to break one of my windows). She gave me some pain medication, but My cat has continue to go to his litter box non-stop. He’s eating fine and I would like a decent pee clump in his litter each day, so I know that he is peeing ok for the time being, but I just don’t understand why he keeps going back to the box. I also noticed that he’s not drinking as much water as he normally does. He used to even jump onto tables to get at our water glasses, but the past two days, he seems to not care at all. I’ve ordered him a water fountain, so hopefully it’ll encourage him to drink more. I’m wondering if he actually has Pandora Syndrome, which is triggered by the environment?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Did the vet check for bladder stones/crystals? You could check with a holistic vet about using soothing herbs for the bladder such as marshmallow root, chamomile and lemon balm. I would also add extra water to his canned food & feed a bit more often.
Have you tried Feliway products to help calm his nerves? Such severe winds from the hurricane might have given him PTSD - what a scary experience for you all!
Maybe you can give him a new "cave" to hide in and allow him to reestablish a "base camp", just as if he was a new cat. Also add new scent soakers, such as scratching posts, in various places plus a few more litter boxes. If it is mental, his kitty brain may be trying to mark territory and reclaim areas to feel safe in. None of this need be costly, either - it's an easy way to recycle cardboard boxes.
Please keep us updated! :cheerleader::heartshape:

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would blend up or mash up some wet food with water to be safe! Works for me, pates work best but you can easily blend chunk foods as well, or just some meat from your fridge, provided it's fresh and unseasoned. Mine goes nuts for blended chicken or turkey "soup". :)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, my cat Noodles started trying to pee in his litter box every 5-10 minutes two nights ago. Each time, he would pee a few drops or nothing would come out. I immediately thought that he has a blockage so took him to the vet. After an exam and urinalysis, the vet said he was completely clean and there was no bacteria at all. She suggested that it might be stress induced from the hurricane last weekend (I live in Halifax and the wind actually blow up rocks strong enough to break one of my windows). She gave me some pain medication, but My cat has continue to go to his litter box non-stop. He’s eating fine and I would like a decent pee clump in his litter each day, so I know that he is peeing ok for the time being, but I just don’t understand why he keeps going back to the box. I also noticed that he’s not drinking as much water as he normally does. He used to even jump onto tables to get at our water glasses, but the past two days, he seems to not care at all. I’ve ordered him a water fountain, so hopefully it’ll encourage him to drink more. I’m wondering if he actually has Pandora Syndrome, which is triggered by the environment?
:wave3::welcomesign:

We have a female who does exactly as you describe, and the cause (we assume) for this is stress. She also will flare up if we feed her dry food. Since you just endured Dorian, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a stress response as the wind throwing rocks to break windows would stress anyone out!
If it's cystitis, it's bladder inflammation without infection. He probably feels like he has to pee all the time, and is being a good cat about going to the box to do so. I'd keep the box as spotless as you can for him (so he continues to visit it) and so you can monitor the clump sizes several times a day.
Our girl will sometimes pee outside the box if she's having a flare up of cystitis, but lucky for us, once she's better, she uses her box and nothing else.
Cystitis in Cats| Blue Cross
Also, pay attention if you can how he reacts the next time you get rain and wind. If the hurricane really upset him, you might consider something like Feliway or classical music for him during storms.
:hellocomputer: