Pancreatitis

Incampbell21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I brought my cat to the vet few weeks ago, we did xray and blood work. His pancrease inflammation marker was off the chart. Vet put him on 2 antibiotics and prednisone to help and hope the pancreas would shrink.

Few weeks later I brought him back in to repeat the blood work and his pancreas is only getting worse.
Vet recommended doing couple months of prednisone. My thinking is if it hasn't helped after 3 weeks who says it's going to help. I think putting him down maybe the right decision....but idk. Need input

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a vet, and I have no experience with pancreatitis in cats. I do with dogs. Two of mine had pancreatitis and lived many, many years with it being manged by food and weight. Occasionally meds to get some of the inflammation down.

Hopefully someone with some experience with the illness can chime in and help soon.

My first thoughts are if the vet thinks trying a longer period may help then kitty may not be at the stage of letting go.

My next thoughts are how is (his / her? Name's) quality of life? Are they eating, drinking, peeing and popping okay? Playing?

How is their overall health (bloodwork etc) besides the pancreatitis?

PS - welcome to the cat site. Glad you're here - but very sorry for the reason that brought you. XOXOXOXOX

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no experience to offer advice on this issue personally. I just wanted to let you know that you and your baby are in my thoughts. I hope someone who has experience with this issue will be along to offer advice soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Incampbell21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not a vet, and I have no experience with pancreatitis in cats. I do with dogs. Two of mine had pancreatitis and lived many, many years with it being manged by food and weight. Occasionally meds to get some of the inflammation down.

Hopefully someone with some experience with the illness can chime in and help soon.

My first thoughts are if the vet thinks trying a longer period may help then kitty may not be at the stage of letting go.

My next thoughts are how is (his / her? Name's) quality of life? Are they eating, drinking, peeing and popping okay? Playing?

PS - welcome to the cat site. Glad you're here - but very sorry for the reason that brought you. XOXOXOXOX
Over all blood work is ok, he is drinking alot and sleeping. Recently starter nipping at us in the morning

Some of his blood work is a little elevated but not as bad as the pancreas inflammation. My cat playboy drinks quite a hit, when he was on antibiotics it seemed as if he was recovering from whatever he had, and was more mobile and visited all of us. But he is still throwing up and no longer eating food like he did when he was on antibiotics. He also started nipping at me and the kiddos and he has never done that before. ...I've tried searching the web and nothing shows up. I have an appointment for him for monday and hopefully the vet can tell us what's going on. We can't afford to pay for an ultrasound to verify if its cancer or not. But I know if it doesn't get figured out soon we will have a bad outcome :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. There are numerous previous threads from members who have had cats with pancreatitis - maybe by reading them, it will give you some insight on the issues in general and what others have done to treat their cats. See link below. I believe I have read enough of them to know that there is no reason to give up on your cat yet.

Search Results for Query: pancreatits

Incampbell21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. There are numerous previous threads from members who have had cats with pancreatitis - maybe by reading them, it will give you some insight on the issues in general and what others have done to treat their cats. See link below. I believe I have read enough of them to know that there is no reason to give up on your cat yet.

Search Results for Query: pancreatits
My issue is the steroid isnt helping with his pancreas.....and I have not been able to find anything more. My cats fpl test was 31.5 range is 0-3.5 he was on antibiotics and steroid and his level for pancrease has increased to 36.4. The prednisone isn't working and I can't afford surgery or biopsy:(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My issue is the steroid isnt helping with his pancreas.....and I have not been able to find anything more. My cats fpl test was 31.5 range is 0-3.5 he was on antibiotics and steroid and his level for pancrease has increased to 36.4. The prednisone isn't working and I can't afford surgery or biopsy:(
Did you read any of the previous posts to see if you could find alternative treatments/options? I am pretty sure the members involved took other approaches to help their cats.

I am so sorry no one with some experience has seen and responded to your post. I am hoping they still will. Two members that I know of that have dealt with pancreatitis are Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 & daftcat75 daftcat75 - perhaps they can help?

Last edited:

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a painful condition........pain management, pain medication(s), is an integral part of treatment and, always speeds recovery. I suspect his "nipping" - biting is a symptom of his experiencing serious pain. These cats are also usually nauseous as well and experience debilitating stomach acid, reducing/eliminating any appetite and causing aversion to food.

I'll offer a few things:
  • An excellent plain language broad coverage of pancreatitis: Pancreatitis. It would not seem that your kitty is receiving all the interventions/medications that are commonly needed (and, I don't mean surgery/biopsy/US)
  • There is a specialized online community/group for folks whose cats have Pancreatitis. They've been active since 2007 and have over 1500 members. These groups are really the best for informed information and advice on particular feline diseases/conditions. I'd strongly encourage you to join up with those folks and put his case to them. It will look different from this forum - they use email as an operating platform. Get yourself a new 'generic' email account exclusively for the group (e.g. Gmail). You'll find them here: Feline Pancreatitis Support
  • Judging from all you've written above, I do not believe that you have all the information that a person would really need to be able to make an informed decision, nor do I believe that your cat has received optimal treatments (again, even those within your means). I'd strongly advise not to make any irrevocable decisions tomorrow until you've received some expert, informed information. Please do insist on some appropriate pain management medication for him in the interim (see, in that first link, "Pain Medications", near the page bottom. Buprenorphine is commonly used with cats. I'd also ask about stomach acid medication (it's over-the-counter).
Keep us updated.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have been down the rocky road of Pancreatitis with several cats. I can tell you that the key, and most immediately helpful therapy for Pancreatitis is FLUIDS. The inflamed pancreas must be bathed with fluids. Ideally the cat is put on an IV drip, but if that is not possible, at least an adequate amount of sub-q fluids to get the inflammation down quickly. This may be needed for several days.

Additionally, pain management, anti-nausea medication, and an appetite pill is usually required. the Prednisolone may be helpful later, but without adequate fluids, and other medications above, it probably will not work as you have seen.

I hope you will discuss these suggestions with your vet tomorrow. Please do not give up! Pancreatitis CAN be successfully treated. I have a cat on my lap right now who seconds this!

Incampbell21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is a painful condition........pain management, pain medication(s), is an integral part of treatment and, always speeds recovery. I suspect his "nipping" - biting is a symptom of his experiencing serious pain. These cats are also usually nauseous as well and experience debilitating stomach acid, reducing/eliminating any appetite and causing aversion to food.

I'll offer a few things:
  • An excellent plain language broad coverage of pancreatitis: Pancreatitis. It would not seem that your kitty is receiving all the interventions/medications that are commonly needed (and, I don't mean surgery/biopsy/US)
  • There is a specialized online community/group for folks whose cats have Pancreatitis. They've been active since 2007 and have over 1500 members. These groups are really the best for informed information and advice on particular feline diseases/conditions. I'd strongly encourage you to join up with those folks and put his case to them. It will look different from this forum - they use email as an operating platform. Get yourself a new 'generic' email account exclusively for the group (e.g. Gmail). You'll find them here: Feline Pancreatitis Support
  • Judging from all you've written above, I do not believe that you have all the information that a person would really need to be able to make an informed decision, nor do I believe that your cat has received optimal treatments (again, even those within your means). I'd strongly advise not to make any irrevocable decisions tomorrow until you've received some expert, informed information. Please do insist on some appropriate pain management medication for him in the interim (see, in that first link, "Pain Medications", near the page bottom. Buprenorphine is commonly used with cats. I'd also ask about stomach acid medication (it's over-the-counter).
Keep us updated.
I just joined the group. Thank you, I will keep everyone posted

Incampbell21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been down the rocky road of Pancreatitis with several cats. I can tell you that the key, and most immediately helpful therapy for Pancreatitis is FLUIDS. The inflamed pancreas must be bathed with fluids. Ideally the cat is put on an IV drip, but if that is not possible, at least an adequate amount of sub-q fluids to get the inflammation down quickly. This may be needed for several days.

Additionally, pain management, anti-nausea medication, and an appetite pill is usually required. the Prednisolone may be helpful later, but without adequate fluids, and other medications above, it probably will not work as you have seen.

I hope you will discuss these suggestions with your vet tomorrow. Please do not give up! Pancreatitis CAN be successfully treated. I have a cat on my lap right now who seconds this!
I can't afford to keep him in the vets clinic for days :( and at this point surrendering him maybe my best option. The vet never mentioned anything about fluids which is just odd

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can do sub-q fluids at home. It's not that hard once you get the hang of it. Many members on this site have done it. If you can swing it financially, there is so much that can be done to get him on the road to recovery. This is not fatal - as you have been told by others above.

Maybe you need another vet - you can get all tests/records (for free) from your current vet to share with another vet, which will eliminate/reduce cost/testing redundancies.

If you don't find a caring rescue center or foster group, surrendering him probably means euthanasia.

Incampbell21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can do sub-q fluids at home. It's not that hard once you get the hang of it. Many members on this site have done it. If you can swing it financially, there is so much that can be done to get him on the road to recovery. This is not fatal - as you have been told by others above.

Maybe you need another vet - you can get all tests/records (for free) from your current vet to share with another vet, which will eliminate/reduce cost/testing redundancies.

If you don't find a caring rescue center or foster group, surrendering him probably means euthanasia.
I have an appointment tomorrow at another vets so we will see....and that's my worry is if I do surrender him they will just out him down. I dont want that to happen to him. But makes me realize that even though i love animals so much maybe it's time for me not to have any because of issue like this. :( I feel guilty and horrible about it

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Please keep us posted on the new vet visit. I am hoping they can help you much more than the previous vet. I have not gone through anything remotely serious as what you are facing, in terms of possible good outcomes - two of my cats died, one of FIP and the other cancer - situations that could not be corrected like pancreatitis can be. And, even now, some days - with Feeby and her recent issues - I struggle. I truly do, and sometimes question my ability to be the cat caretaker I feel I should be. When they are sick, it just takes it out of you, emotionally and physically. But, in the end, it has all been rewarding for me to have been able to make a home for all of my cats (all strays) and give them time they might not have had otherwise. Hang in there and keep posting!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A new Vet. That's a glimmer of hope, then. It's a crap shoot with them....just as it is with medical docs, MDs. 'Simply' put, they are not all 'created equal'. That said, if you read, even skimmed through that piece I gave you about the condition, it's patently obvious that basic adequate treatment just wasn't provided.

One quickie: you reacted to the thought of having him on IV at the Vets. You can give him fluids at home with a bag of fluid and a line that you put just under his skin, not in a vein. Folks do it all the time with 5 minutes of training. It's affordable and takes10-30 minutes once a day.

Other than that, you'd need to pop some pills and if he isn't eating, feed him with a syringe several times a day.

If these things are doable, there's no need to even consider letting him go - at least not now.

You'll have advice and support both from the group and here.

The new Vet will need copies of his records from the first Vet.

One thing to ask from that group should be about food. You shouldn't have to depend on one of the Rx foods - they're crappy and expensive. (In an emergency, they serve the purpose.) I would be asking for names of the commercial alternatives those folks use. I understand low fat is a requirement - check that first link again....I'm pretty sure she covers foods in there.

BTW - does/will he eat wet foods? That would be a real bonus.

I'll stop here - we'll be thinking about you guys tomorrow. All paws crossed!

Incampbell21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I
A new Vet. That's a glimmer of hope, then. It's a crap shoot with them....just as it is with medical docs, MDs. 'Simply' put, they are not all 'created equal'. That said, if you read, even skimmed through that piece I gave you about the condition, it's patently obvious that basic adequate treatment just wasn't provided.

One quickie: you reacted to the thought of having him on IV at the Vets. You can give him fluids at home with a bag of fluid and a line that you put just under his skin, not in a vein. Folks do it all the time with 5 minutes of training. It's affordable and takes10-30 minutes once a day.

Other than that, you'd need to pop some pills and if he isn't eating, feed him with a syringe several times a day.

If these things are doable, there's no need to even consider letting him go - at least not now.

You'll have advice and support both from the group and here.

The new Vet will need copies of his records from the first Vet.

One thing to ask from that group should be about food. You shouldn't have to depend on one of the Rx foods - they're crappy and expensive. (In an emergency, they serve the purpose.) I would be asking for names of the commercial alternatives those folks use. I understand low fat is a requirement - check that first link again....I'm pretty sure she covers foods in there.

BTW - does/will he eat wet foods? That would be a real bonus.

I'll stop here - we'll be thinking about you guys tomorrow. All paws crossed!
I have thought about wet food, I have 2 cats and I'd have to switch both of them. I am hopeful for tomorrow. But I will keep everyone posted as to what the vet says. Thank you for reaching out! I will ask about food as well in a new post. Again thank you

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your boy is VERY handsome! It breaks my heart to think of surrendering him because of something very treatable. The fact that your vet never mentioned about fluids is reason enough to get a second opinion. I am glad you are seeing a new vet tomorrow.

Dehydration is a contributing factor in the development of Pancreatitis. An all wet food diet is needed.

I would ask this new vet about having fluids administered in office tomorrow, and maybe over next several days until you receive instructions on how to administer sub-q fluids at home. It is not that difficult to get the hang of. I am presently giving a cat daily sub-q fluids myself for CKD.

All here will be thinking positive thoughts for you and your boy tomorrow!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pancreatitis might be the consequence of other inflammations in his abdomen.
It might have started from his bowel or liver or gall bladder. The anatomy of cats makes this happen very easily, and when all these organs are involved, it is called a Triaditis.

My cat had pancreatitis, though she had no visible symptoms apart from some nausea and occasional vomit. The original cause was in her IBD which flared up a cholangiohepatitis which led to the pancreatitis.
I wonder if your cat might have other hidden ailments at the moment that haven't been found out yet.
Part of the solution was in a change of the diet, antibiotics for about a month and more hydration through sub-Q's.