Pancreatitis?

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello, my cat went into the vet, because she was lethargic and has had diarrhea for a week which neither fortiflora, nor prescription clay she was given helped. She had seen the vet when it started, but there was no improvement. She has thickening of her bowels, and definite inflammation and her values for her pancreas were abnormal. Despite having constant diarrhea and not having eaten in 8 hours her stomach was full when the x-rays were taken indicating it was swollen. She is staying at the vet overnight for IV fluids and medicine for the inflammation. They won't have the results back for several tests until Wednesday and I am unsure of what to do with myself. They ruled out her thyroid, but said she may have cancer due to elevated lymphocytes, she's only 3 years old and was perfectly healthy before all this. I think pancreatitis is the most likely culprit as does the vet, but they said it is likely then in association with IBD. Any advice or thoughts appreciated.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I know it's difficult, but I think the best thing to do is WAIT until you get the results of the test back before seeking advise, because honestly, not sure how to advise when the diagnosis is unknown. When you said "thickening of her bowels" I automatically thought "IBD", and of course could offer suggestions for that, but IBD and Pancreatitis are two different things. So... In themeantime, I would do what your Vest suggests, if anythng, once your furbaby gets home, until you know what is truly happening. Did you consent to a biopsy to determine IBD or not? It's my understanding that is the only way to know for sure,and I don't think it's too invasive.

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know it's difficult, but I think the best thing to do is WAIT until you get the results of the test back before seeking advise, because honestly, not sure how to advise when the diagnosis is unknown. When you said "thickening of her bowels" I automatically thought "IBD", and of course could offer suggestions for that, but IBD and Pancreatitis are two different things. So... In themeantime, I would do what your Vest suggests, if anythng, once your furbaby gets home, until you know what is truly happening. Did you consent to a biopsy to determine IBD or not? It's my understanding that is the only way to know for sure,and I don't think it's too invasive.

:vibes::vibes::vibes:
They're doing more bloodwork first before getting any biopsies and doing a barium test to get a better look at her intestines tomorrow. Then after that they may get a biopsy but it's currently not on the list.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, well keep us posted along the way as results come in :alright:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did they do the Spec fPLI test for pancreatitis? That's a fairly specific test that doesn't produce many false positives.

IBD (and cancer for that matter) are usually much slower to develop. This sounds like acute pancreatitis (toxic exposure to something) or maybe even a stomach bug. Can you ask for the Fecal Diarrhea PCR test? It's more expensive than the fecal float tests but it's also more comprehensive. The float tests look for evidence of worms or other "macro" parasites. The PCR test looks for bacterial infections. Clostridium is what my Krista had this summer. Brutal. Diarrhea for weeks!

It sounds like your cat is getting great care though.

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did they do the Spec fPLI test for pancreatitis? That's a fairly specific test that doesn't produce many false positives.

IBD (and cancer for that matter) are usually much slower to develop. This sounds like acute pancreatitis (toxic exposure to something) or maybe even a stomach bug. Can you ask for the Fecal Diarrhea PCR test? It's more expensive than the fecal float tests but it's also more comprehensive. The float tests look for evidence of worms or other "macro" parasites. The PCR test looks for bacterial infections. Clostridium is what my Krista had this summer. Brutal. Diarrhea for weeks!

It sounds like your cat is getting great care though.
They are doing the Spec fPLI test and I requested the PCR test which the results will come back on soon hopefully, she is deficient in B12 which further confirms pancreatitis, she is still stuck at the vets since her stomach is taking about 8 hours to empty when it should be about an hour and a half. Her intestines are still inflamed, but she had a solid poop today which is good.

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
IBD also causes B12 deficiency. Either way IBD can trigger pancreatitis.

How are her liver levels? Did they do ultrasound and her liver-gallbladder were normal?
Her liver values are normal, they did not do an ultrasound but did a barium study, she had pancreatitis and a B12 deficiency but the radiologist doesn't think she has IBD