Pancreatitis (on cerenia and metroclorpramid, refuzes to eat even after mirtazapine)

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Adelina R

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again! Bandito slept well after Pred but he did not start eating. After a couple of hours we gave him half Mirtazapine and in about an hour he started to eat (Vet's initial advice was to give him both Pred and Mirtazapine at the same time, but I wanted to give his belly some time to digest the medicine).
Finally, after Mirtazapine he finally ate better than he did in a while. While he was weak in the morning (before he got food in his belly), he was very much himself all day long, social and loving :redheartpump:

Adelina R

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it's 3am in here and we are at the emergency. He was gasping for air for the last 30 min so we didn't know what to do than to go to the vet.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh no! Hoping for a good outcome. I'm so sorry you and he are going through such a tough time :hugs:

Adelina R

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm on my way home now... alone :( and feeling lost. We said our goodbye and he left while my partner was holding him and I was kissing him.

Adelina R

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm struggling to accept that I've did everything I could.. did I? he was gasping, got to the vets, they said he has a pulmonary edema.. could have he recovered from that? I just wanted to stop him from suffering

Adelina R

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going through a rollercoaster of emotions, for a second I'm able to calm down again. So the vet said that there are no guarantees he will recover. He was grasping for air with his mouth open. I've asked what we can do and if he will go anyway of we don't intervine and she said she can do a few more things but he might have only a few hours left so we decided to stop him from suffering. It happened fast, in about 20 seconds. We stayed with him and kissed him a million times.

We had 16 years together and I'm sure I will never get over this but please belive me what I say he was the best cat a person can dream for.

I'm extremely grateful for having you here, I said here things I could not say to my closest friends because it's easier to talk to strangers. Thank you.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am so, so sorry he didn't make it. You will ask yourself "could I have done more?" over and over. We ALL do. It's only natural because we love them so much and don't want to lose them. In your case, he already was very sick and had a looming death sentence with that cancer in him. Yes, you may have gotten a few more wonderful months with him, but you might not have since the treatments don't always work. You will never know. In this case, something else went wrong and that was that.

Almost the same thing happened with our last kidney cat. We woke up one morning and she was paralyzed basically from the waist down. We rushed her to the ER and they said that NOW she had heart issues, spinal issues and I can't remember what else along with the kidney disease. They said they could try different things to try to reverse the paralysis, but weren't sure if any of them would work, and she might be in pain, so we decided to let her go. Mind you, she was my husbands soul cat (and emotional support cat) so this decision was not made lightly. But sometimes it's just the right decision, no matter how much it hurts :alright:

Again, you have my deepest sympathies. Many people say they feel better by writing a tribute to their furbabies, complete with pictures, in our Crossing Bridge forum. There is also a thread there with help for grieving: Crossing the Bridge

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. When a cat passes on, we lock the thread out of respect. If you would like to post a memorial tribute to Bandito in our Crossing the Bridge forum, you are welcome to do so.

You did everything possible for him, including letting him go when it was time which is the hardest and bravest act of love.

Status
Not open for further replies.